Thread: Windows SP 2

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Windows SP 2

Microsoft Delays Automatic Win XP Updates.
    Microsoft has pushed back the automatic distribution of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) to allow business users more time to prepare their systems for the update--or choose to skip it.

The software maker now also has different schedules for pushing out SP2 to the two editions of Windows XP. Users of the Home Edition should start getting the update this Wednesday, while the Professional Edition won't be updated until a week later, on August 25.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

sp2

i thought microsoft were having a lot of compatability problems with sp2
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optispares
    i thought microsoft were having a lot of compatability problems with sp2
    As always you hit the nail right on the head. :cheers: That's why i think their giving big companys that use XP pro another week to make sure everything is up to par. IMHO i think it's going to creat alot of incompatability issues with with both versions. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Microsoft started pushing out Service Pack 2 to XP Home operating system users who enabled the Automatic Updates feature on Wednesday and will soon distribute a version of the patch for XP Pro users through the same channel. But Microsoft is still meting out access to the patch to avoid being overwhelmed by requests from more than 200 million Windows XP users
    Over one million copies of SP2 were downloaded as of Monday, but Microsoft expects that number to increase now that the update is being distributed through Automatic Updates. However, to prevent a run on SP2, Microsoft is limiting downloads based on customers' Internet use, their geographic location, and the language version of XP SP2 they are requesting,

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sean,

Just got a notice that some programs, Zone Alarm being one, have SP2 patches. IBM has also posted a notice on their website saying other programs may not work with the SP2. I guess folks should check software websites to make sure their programs will play nice with SP2.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    Sean,

Just got a notice that some programs, Zone Alarm being one, have SP2 patches. IBM has also posted a notice on their website saying other programs may not work with the SP2. I guess folks should check software websites to make sure their programs will play nice with SP2.
    So far Microsoft has issued a list of nearly 50 software applications and games that may encounter problems with its Windows XP Service Pack 2 update.
    Among the primary issues are glitches related to the relationship between its Windows firewall system, which is automatically turned on as a security default by SP2.

The updated firewall may prevent computers from properly connecting to outside networks, limiting systems' abilities to effectively receive data. Some of the problems caused by the update include issues with remote desktops, file sharing, e-mail notifications and online multiplayer games.
    Among the most high-profile products are antivirus applications from Symantec, network management software made by Computer Associates International, and multimedia tools from Macromedia. Besides all that..........Microsoft also acknowledges that several of its own products, including Visual Studio .Net, Operations Manager, SQL Server and Systems Management Server software, must be tweaked to work properly with SP2.:(
    Microsoft has already warned that customers using Microsoft Business Solutions CRM Sales for Outlook 1.2 will encounter problems with the software if they install SP2. Microsoft posted a patch to its Web site that it says fixes the problem.:idea:
    Some companies have already begun informing their customers of problems related to SP2, including eBay, which has posted details of two known issues on a customer support area of its Web site. According to eBay, some features of its toolbar application will not work after installing SP2, and its Enhanced Picture Service will not work at all.
    Last edited by Sean; 08-21-2004 at 07:13 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Microsofts List of known issues..........

Here is the most recent list of programs that have issues with SP2

LIST

Occupation

Redhot Jumper typical

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Here is the most recent list of programs that have issues with SP2

LIST
    you would think the great microsoft would make it compatible with their own progammes. guess i will give sp2 a miss:angry:

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optispares
    guess i will give sp2 a miss:angry:
    Here is some thing that you might be interested in.
    Microsoft has provided a registry key/value pair that can be modified on each machine to inhibit the installation of the service pack for an additional 120 days to give the administrator enough time to evaluate SP2 and plan for its deployment. This change will prevent Windows Update from installing SP2 automatically, while allowing the system to still receive other updates.

The change to each machine is as follows:
    1)Go to the key:
    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    2)Add the DWORD value:
    DoNotAllowXPSP2 and set it to a value of one (1)

The change described above will only prevent Windows Update from installing SP2 automatically, and only for 120 days (after which time Windows Update will ignore the registry key). It will not prevent users from downloading and installing SP2 themselves, and there is no documented way to extend the time period for which Windows Update will not automatically install SP2. Sounds to me that SP2 has/will become mandatory and will still make the attempt to install even if the auto update is turned off.:(

Occupation

Stick out tongue sp2 what problems

finally bit the bullet and installed sp2 on my laptop running xp home. no problems sweet as a nut.

jack

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Still no go with me

Yeah, so after reformatting my hard drives and reinstalling windows, thinking that if my computer was a clean slate that the update would work...nope.

It seems that when I go to reboot, the computer can't load windows. That was after evey driver was installed and updated.

Oh well.. I will make do with my current security arrangements.

Cassandra

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    Yeah, so after reformatting my hard drives and reinstalling windows, thinking that if my computer was a clean slate that the update would work...nope.

It seems that when I go to reboot, the computer can't load windows. That was after evey driver was installed and updated.

Oh well.. I will make do with my current security arrangements.

Cassandra
    i wonder if your download is corrupt i ordered sp2 on cd direct from microsoft.:idea:

jack

Thread Information