Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jillybean View Post
    :) A lab tech of 20+ years that i work with takes progressive markings off with the bleach in the dye pots, its warm and wont hurt the lenses... works for me. Im sure someone out there will tell me its bad for the lenses but I havent seen problems yet.

[This message has been edited by jillybean (edited 12-06-2000).]
    I just began my career as an optician on Jan. 2 of this year, and thought I would check out online resources. This board is by far the best!

Our office uses lemon extract to remove the PAL markings. Most of the time it takes little effort, not to mention it makes things smell much better!
    --Tonya--
    "starting a new year with a new career!"

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chris Reyser patented lemon extract in 1317.

Welcome to Optiboard!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Chris Reyser patented lemon extract in 1317.

Welcome to Optiboard!
    Is lemon extract a preservative? ;) Thanks for the welcome!! :D
    --Tonya--

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Is lemon extract a preservative? ;) Thanks for the welcome!! :D

It's actually a derivative of a preservative that he created in the year 838 BC.

:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's actually a derivative of a preservative that he created in the year 838 BC.

Maybe I should just start bathing in it, if that's the case! :p

I have worn glasses since I was 9 and contacts since 16...I had no idea what all was really involved in dispensing! This past month has been a real learning experience, and being the tech nerd that I am, this board and the internet will only enhance my training. :)
    --Tonya--

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Maybe I should just start bathing in it, if that's the case! :p

I have worn glasses since I was 9 and contacts since 16...I had no idea what all was really involved in dispensing! This past month has been a real learning experience, and being the tech nerd that I am, this board and the internet will only enhance my training. :)
    Without a doubt

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Invention of 2008...................

1}...........................Chris Reyser patented lemon extract in 1317.

2}...........................It's actually a derivative of a preservative that he created in the year 838 BC.

Sorry to correct your historical knowdledge; 2) was in 837 BC, 1) is correct.

Working (pruning)on my Grapefruit Tree this morning, I had a new idea and did some R&D with the result that the oil from fresh Grapefruit skins extracted, applied on nosepads will prevent accumulation of nosecheese. :hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Working (pruning)on my Grapefruit Tree this morning, I had a new idea and did some R&D with the result that the oil from fresh Grapefruit skins extracted, applied on nosepads will prevent accumulation of nosecheese. :hammer:
    I'd also mentioned teatree oil, it gets most of the markings off, but it had a hard time with a few so I stopped, I would buy in a heart beat a green alternative to the ink removers.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ink marking remover

i can already see this coming, chris ryser will have a new ink removing sysytem and it will be the flavor of the month

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    i can already see this coming, chris ryser will have a new ink removing sysytem and it will be the flavor of the month
    I for one am constantly trying to find better tasting ink removers.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I for one am constantly trying to find better tasting ink removers.
    Just have to close your mouth when cleaning

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Just have to close your mouth when cleaning

The look on your customers face when you pull a pristinely clean lens from your mouth and then proceed to put it on their face is unforgettable.

:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper PineSol or Mr.Clean smell........

The look on your customers face when you pull a pristinely clean lens from your mouth and then proceed to put it on their face is unforgettable.
    I could also make you a lens cleaner or a mouth wash and add some PineSol or Mr. Clean perfume so that it all really smells like freshly cleaned.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why should they be horrified. They don't seem to have any trouble taking a contact lens from thier own mouth and putting it in thier own eye!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    But it makes them adhere better. :hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    This one may not be as relevant today as it was a few years ago but ...

If a tempered glass lens comes out of a heat treat or chem unit with a spot on it, often (not always) a pencil eraser will get it off.

Now my search for an answer. What is anyone's method for removing a lens from a grooved rimless mount whithout chipping it when it is in there good and extra snug.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 10-30-2000).]
    You take a piece of nylon ribbon the hard strip and cut it into a sharp angle point.hold frame so temples go over your nuckles now, push out temple just a bit to distance nylon from lens.or turn lens off axis to get the seperation.it all has to do with the sharp angle cut almost like sewing.works everytime,16 yrs of combining optical theory and physics i can answer many ? if anyone needs me to.You give me 2 edgers and i can do 165 jobs a day with quality high gloss roll & polish with less than 1 percent breakage.If i'm doing drill jobs i do about 78 a day with full bench alignment leaving my co workers in awe.When i figured out how to do a lot with my system of doing thing's it takes a lot of stress of people, we tend to have alot fun in the lab which is positive in this stress type of work.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Jo:

If it's too thght to stretch the frame and slip a piece of fishing line under. Cut the chord. Fishing line is cheap and easy to replace. Don't beat yourself up trying to save .01 cents worth of 20# test.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-14-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: just plain felt like it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    For Jo:

If it's too thght to stretch the frame and slip a piece of fishing line under. Cut the chord. Fishing line is cheap and easy to replace. Don't beat yourself up trying to save .01 cents worth of 20# test.

Chip
    I was figuring since he asked a ? about how to take a lens out, there's a good chance he would'nt know how to change the string, so i didn't wan't to take he or she that route.:finger:

Occupation
    :idea: I think probably all of us today use glass beads rather then table salt as we did once upon a time. The glass beads come in two sizes. You will probably find the smaller ones work better, but the key is to really move the plastic around rather rapidly. so the glass bead does not cling to the frame leaving an indentation. You will find this real easy to do if you use the large beads as they are much heavier and thus will indent the frame much quicker.
    ........... I have seen talcum powder used to lessen the effect, but its also quite messy as is the salt.
    If you put alittle bit of baby powder in the beads it will solve your sticking beads.Plus i like to use 190 degree water, works just as well with no burns:D

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually a now deceased co-worker of mine, Jerald Franklin was the first to used glass beads for frame heating. We had a company across the river from us, Knox glass that used to make all the glass beads for highway signs and this was our source.

Chip

Me, I still miss the salt pan. You could rinse it out of the the lens grooves after mounting.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

And if you have someone look closely at a grapefruit rind and you squeeze it, you can inject grapefruit juice directly into the eye. Why bother with digesting it?:D

Oh, and as far as the date goes, I think it was 836 BC as I have one of the commemorative coins dated 836 BC.

<waits>
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Standards

I was re-reading some of the old posts and came across one that asked if any knew of the European standards. Now I don't know and maybe this was answered already. I had a person come into my shop around 1991 with a large pair of aviator glasses eye size 62 bridge 20 his pd 66. I looked at them and I m thinking maybe a minus 2 or 3 to my surprise they were -6.00 with a center thickness of .5 in glass, polished edges and A/R. He wanted to know if I could duplicate,I told him not a chance. He still bought a pair of glasses but I was amazed at the German craftsmanship.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    I was amazed at the German craftsmanship.
    Dont sell yourself short surfacing 0.5 Ct on glass is no big deal.

The tough part is having to drop ball it and have an edger that has a delicate cycle for grinding as well as clamp pressre which most edgers today can accomodate.

Since drop ball is not required, there's really not much you cant do here yourself.

The amazing part is that a country allows 0.5CT glass and then turns around and pays for the surgery when he loses the eye :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ribbon segs

these segs are often very useful for certain people, who use computers somwhat, and you have a lot of choice about where to place the segment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    these segs are often very useful for certain people, who use computers somwhat, and you have a lot of choice about where to place the segment.

I was just wondering Harry have you used many ribbons in the last 20 years? I think the last one I saw was about 1978. And if you have how's the success rate for computer usage?

Thread Information