Page 1 of 41 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

The purpose here is to start a thread, that if it works Steve will put in a permanent file. Steve informed me that starting a new forum was difficult with this software as once you do it you cant remove it.The purpose here is to pass along to others all the little tricks of the trade , that has anything to do with dispensing. There are quite a few old timers like myself, Al, Bob and a number of talented opticians of all ages on this board.In light of that i am going to start off with a relatively easy one dealing with the removal of a screw from a metal frame, that wont seem to come out. Quite often if you heat it slightly in a salt pan, then turn it slightly to the right , and then to the left the screw will come out. I am going to try and post at least one new tip a week, until i run out,and i challenge the rest of you to do the same and maybe we can make this a thread to remember

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This is a great idea and I hope it does become a regular spot.

One thing I have seen some new people fail to do when adjusting a frame with glass lenses is not loosen the eyewire screw. If you turn the screw a half turn before adjusting the frame you will be less likely to chip the lenses. Basic information but like I said, I've seen some people fail to do this and end up in mess.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    did u mean loosen the screws or not and i havent seen glass lenses in the usa that much where im from we still use glass i been looking for acouple of 1.9 high index glass lenses for my self in the usa and couldnt find them no where

OptiBoard Apprentice
    great idea

i always find that if you cant figure something out... younger opticians ask older opticians for their suggestion... but the older opticians have to remember to ask the younger opticians also since they may have just learned something !new! in school

both have great information to share with each other. as a student i had a customer who couldnt see out of his glasses that a 25 year optician had just made, my manager 13 year optician couldnt figure it out... why, he had been wearing r compensated segs for years and not flat tops(hard to notice). i shook my head (these segs are old), redid his glasses and bam they worked and he was happy

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This one may not be as relevant today as it was a few years ago but ...

If a tempered glass lens comes out of a heat treat or chem unit with a spot on it, often (not always) a pencil eraser will get it off.

Now my search for an answer. What is anyone's method for removing a lens from a grooved rimless mount whithout chipping it when it is in there good and extra snug.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 10-30-2000).]

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take a sharp knife and cut the string at the lower hole coming through the frame and re string it. You may also stick a push pin through to raise it up some and insert the SMALL THIN ribbon before cutting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo

If a tempered glass lens comes out of a heat treat or chem unit with a spot on it, often (not always) a pencil eraser will get it off.

Now my search for an answer. What is anyone's method for removing a lens from a grooved rimless mount whithout chipping it when it is in there good and extra snug.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frames

When selling frames such as tortoise shell and demi amber, have the patient recieve the one they looked at on the display. These two frame colors because of there mottled look tend to have the colors in different places in every one that you look at. Patient will swear you gave them the wrong frame if you do not.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A lot of patients and having someonehold securely and gently pull while yu use the tool to get under the wire. i bought a special tool that helps with removing the lenses.
    :)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post

You take a piece of nylon ribbon the hard strip and cut it into a sharp angle point.hold frame so temples go over your nuckles now, push out temple just a bit to distance nylon from lens.or turn lens off axis to get the seperation.it all has to do with the sharp angle cut almost like sewing.works everytime,16 yrs of combining optical theory and physics i can answer many ? if anyone needs me to.You give me 2 edgers and i can do 165 jobs a day with quality high gloss roll & polish with less than 1 percent breakage.If i'm doing drill jobs i do about 78 a day with full bench alignment leaving my co workers in awe.When i figured out how to do a lot with my system of doing thing's it takes a lot of stress of people, we tend to have alot fun in the lab which is positive in this stress type of work.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For Jo:

If it's too thght to stretch the frame and slip a piece of fishing line under. Cut the chord. Fishing line is cheap and easy to replace. Don't beat yourself up trying to save .01 cents worth of 20# test.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-14-2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: just plain felt like it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    For Jo:

If it's too thght to stretch the frame and slip a piece of fishing line under. Cut the chord. Fishing line is cheap and easy to replace. Don't beat yourself up trying to save .01 cents worth of 20# test.

Chip
    I was figuring since he asked a ? about how to take a lens out, there's a good chance he would'nt know how to change the string, so i didn't wan't to take he or she that route.:finger:

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter kbfast's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    most anything that is gold filled will have a quality mark on it ... 14k - 18k etc. If your stuff doesn't have any such markings I advise you to take it to a jeweler. A jeweler is going to have the solutions to be able to tell if it is plated. You could get the same solutions ... but why would you? (we are talking acids here)
    - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Fast, A.S., BSVT, CMBA, ABOC
    "The first concepts of superior principle are always defeated by the perfected example of established practice."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kbfast View Post
    (we are talking acids here)
    ar stripper is acid. if you don't dilute it enough it'll take your skin right off.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by coffee joe View Post
    ar stripper is acid. if you don't dilute it enough it'll take your skin right off.

Actually it is much worse. It is not just acid, it is hydrofluoric acid, the worst among acids. It actually travels through your skin anto the bones and starts some non reversible reactions.

Hydrofluoric acid is a solution of hydrogen fluoride in water. It is a weak acid. Hydrogen fluoride, often in the aqueous form as hydrofluoric acid, is a valued source of fluorine, being the precursor to numerous pharmaceuticals (e.g., Prozac), diverse polymers (e.g., Teflon), and most other synthetic materials that contain fluorine. Hydrofluoric acid is best known to the public for its ability to dissolve glass by reacting with SiO2, the major component of most glasses. This property has been known since the 17th century, even before hydrofluoric acid ...........................

Hydrofluoric acid is corrosive and a contact poison. It should be handled with extreme care, beyond that accorded to other mineral acids, in part because of its low dissociation constant, which allows HF to penetrate tissue more quickly. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident. HF interferes with nerve function and burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.[4] HF is known to etch bone, and since it penetrates the skin it can weaken bones without destroying the skin.[5]
    HF chemical burns can be treated with a water wash and 2.5% calcium gluconate gel[6][7][8] or special rinsing solutions.[9][10]

If you use AR strippers look out for the safest possible versions on the market

Occupation
    also, it releases hydrogen on contact with most metals, potentially creating an explosion hazard. it can also scar you cornea on contact. and i bet most of you were just dipping your bare hands in your bpi ar dry thinking "this doesn't hurt." so since this is the tips thread, here's the tip; follow the safety precautions that come with it and be careful.

--edit--

btw, the reference to "weak acid" in the post above is a technical chemistry term, and doesn't exactly mean what it sounds like. don't let it lull you into a false since of security. improper handling of HF can lead to severe injury.

here is the msds
    Last edited by coffee joe; 10-15-2008 at 03:14 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

removing grooved rimless without chipping

[QUOTE=Jo;8063]This one may not be as relevant today as it was a few years ago but ...

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 10-30-2000).][/QUOTE
    Don't use plastic for rimless grooves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=vic4eyes;297139][QUOTE=Jo;8063]

[QUOTE]
    90% of these lenses can be mounted or unmounted with your fingernail. If it's too tight for that, use a scalpel to cut the line between the holes in the eyewire, then restring. Lots faster and safer.

Occupation

Temples or earrings

For all you newbys out there. Please clip those temples instead of wrapping them around so that they look like earrings.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What! You mean use tools on them? Use personal judgement on how long it should be? We all know the factory knows best. We all know that in today's world "One size fits all."

You just tryin, to get us all bumfuzzeled!

Chip

Next thing you says you gonna be tryin to tell us that the temple tips ain't sposed to be bent down at 90 degrees or touch the ear anywhere but at the top.

Why the very idea!
    Last edited by chip anderson; 05-29-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Next thing

Occupation

Lightbulb stripping tough ar

if you get an ar coating that you're having trouble stripping (the chemicals won't get it totally off), you can get the remainder of it off by taking a polishing pad, wet it with polish, and rub the lens with the pad by hand.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    [QUOTE=finefocus;297142][QUOTE=vic4eyes;297139][QUOTE=Jo;8063]

90% of these lenses can be mounted or unmounted with your fingernail. If it's too tight for that, use a scalpel to cut the line between the holes in the eyewire, then restring. Lots faster and safer.
    I think that if it's too tight you have to put some oil on it and then to try with the nail. If it doesn't work, the best way is to find a small screwdriver and to do your job.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vic: Cut the dam*ed fishing line. It's cheap you can replace it.

Chip

Occupation

Axis pliers help

If the lens is too tight to get the ribbon or (fishing line) under the monofilament around the lens, try twisting the lens with axis pliers until you have a place or opening to slide the ribbon in. If the lens is still too tight heat it a little and it will usually loosen up.
    Last edited by Eva; 05-21-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: misspelling

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

salt and bead pans

hears another little thing you can do with your salt and bead pans, to have different heats, push the salt or beads up to one end of the pan, if you want a little less heat use the topmost part, if you want more heat go further down

Bad address email on file 4UrEyesOnly's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva View Post
    If the lens is still too tight heat it a little and it will usually loosen up.
    the last thing you should be doing is putting heat around a lens
    unless you like a nicely crazed lens!

Thread Information