Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alan:

I have been known in certain circles to mask the lens and tint the line the way Univis did a thousand years ago. But, if others are watching you may be facing some time in a padded room.
    I have already been through that one with high minus lens edges. I take a lens tissue and swab the edge of the lens with some tint. Yes, most people who watch me want to lock me up in a padded room.

Hows this sound??

With that b/f job of jo's perhaps, halfeyes?? if not i'm thinking maybe... b/f contact lenses, get her into them, if she has a lot of trouble with her distance, and still ahs a high need for the reading.

Few tips i've picked up already, for those pesky screws its easiest to just file a new "flat head" into the neft over screw. Also I liked the tip for "shrinking" a metal frame, thanks heaps!!

with those nylons and cutting them open, just get a blade and tap it against the nylon it will usually spring apart after a couple of taps (in the same place)

for those time the self locating screws ( the ones with the pin on them, that snaps of after insertion??) don't actually make the spring temples sit in the hinge properly, heres what i usually do.

1. get a small panel pin nail ( also small screw driver work) and insert this into the thread.

2. pull it out to its limit

when the temple end is pulled out like this, a small hole/gap usually appears

3. get a small unfolded staple and place it in this hole/gap

4. screw temple into hinge.

5. remove staple.

6. present to thankful customer

also that other issue of introductions.

i work in a shopping mall so browsers are common, i usually ask if they are browsing, then let them know of any specials, if they are interested i ask if they need an eye test.

too easy!!

James

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Alan W, only thing more difficult than teachers and engineers is when they're on some vision care plan that take an associate degree in accounting to explain. I have found that the F/D trifocal solves a lot of occupational problems, a very underutilized lens design.
    Another "tip" is that when you're ordering lenses surfaced uncut for segs at the top, order the rx's eye for eye backwards.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by harry a saake
    The purpose here is to start a thread, that if it works Steve will put in a permanent file. Steve informed me that starting a new forum was difficult with this software as once you do it you cant remove it.The purpose here is to pass along to others all the little tricks of the trade , that has anything to do with dispensing. There are quite a few old timers like myself, Al, Bob and a number of talented opticians of all ages on this board.In light of that i am going to start off with a relatively easy one dealing with the removal of a screw from a metal frame, that wont seem to come out. Quite often if you heat it slightly in a salt pan, then turn it slightly to the right , and then to the left the screw will come out. I am going to try and post at least one new tip a week, until i run out,and i challenge the rest of you to do the same and maybe we can make this a thread to remember

Dear harry and Steve:
    I think this thread should become an independent Forum now like other Forums such as Market Place, International Optics, etc. Or if it is impossible to start a new Forum you may consolidate one of the existing (less popular) Forums with Main Discussions Forum and give a try to tips as an individual Forum. And these tips should not be limited to eyeglass dispensing issues. Tips on Contact lens fitting and dispensing will make it even more attractive.
    Just a thought.
    sam hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Stats

Steve:

Is this a record thread with 128 posts? I am not sure if the old boards tracked anything like that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

I usualy add a little bit of sugar to the water.
    Then the Franel prism sticks and stays much better.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by sam hamadani

Dear harry and Steve:
    I think this thread should become an independent Forum now like other Forums such as Market Place, International Optics, etc. Or if it is impossible to start a new Forum you may consolidate one of the existing (less popular) Forums with Main Discussions Forum and give a try to tips as an individual Forum. And these tips should not be limited to eyeglass dispensing issues. Tips on Contact lens fitting and dispensing will make it even more attractive.
    Just a thought.
    sam hamadani

Steve & harry:
    I think this should go to the
    Ophthalmic Optics Forum.
    Thanks
    Sam hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I'm considering adding and modifying the current forum structure. One possibility is to have a sub-forums under the General Discussion forum.

Jo, yes this is the topic with the record amount of messages.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb tips on dispensing

:) When drilling holes in glass or plastic lenses for rimless mounts, always chamfer the edges afterwards, on both sides. This will prevent future flakes, stars and breakage afterwards, as now with the edge of the hole beveled, theres no sharp edge to push again.
    Steve, i gather from the way you are talking in the preevoius post you will handle all of this::bbg:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Maria
    it makes your own working environment better.

Maria:
    According to a study done by an American furniture company
    "Todays customers want to be thanked first for just coming in to your store before any other kind of greeting".
    Sam Hamadani
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally posted by Steve Machol

Harry,

If you (or someone else) would like to compile all these tips into one text file, I'd be happy to put this in the OptiBoard Download directory.

Steve:
    Great idea! This thread must be kept alive, and please move it up at a visible level. Dyslexic folks like myself will appreciate it
    Thanks
    Sam Hamadani

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator
    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sam:

Is that your way of asking for volunteers?
    :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

:bbg: iF YOU EVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE CUSTOMERS WHO BRINGS A FRAME IN , THAT HAS HAD THE SCREW MISSING FROM THE BARREL AND THEY HAVE USED SEWING THREAD TO KEEP IT TOGATHER, YUOU KNOW WHAT A PAIN IT CAN BE TO TRY AND CUT IT OFF. SIMPLY TAKE A TOE FILE AND AFTER A FEW STROKES THE THREAD WILL COME APART INSTANTLY, AND YOU WONT RISK NICKING THE FRAME.

Exclamation eek!!!

Ok sorry harry, i hate to criticise, BUT

wouldn't the toe file make a higher risk than using something like a blade??

I have always used those small blades, that can be found in blade kits, these are the type used to peel stickers off from windows, as long as you leave it for frames, and nylons it won't be blunt either.

we have another blade at work , which does the job when the 'special' blade disappears., this is the carton blade, most of these can be found in a good supermarket, or in a stationeer.

but hey like i said, i hate criticising people!! (don't hit me, i'm a shy person ...really)

cya all
    hope this one helps !!

james

OptiBoard Apprentice

Blue Jumper

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this topic!

A text file in the Download Directory is a great
    idea!

:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Jim, i guess all these ideas will work, i think its like anything else, no the toe file wont do any more damage then the knife as long as you dont use too much pressure or go too deep.

IC-NOW

gottya now, i actually looked at a toe file today, and they are very slim objects!!! (i just imagined it thicker!!)

we have a file like this at work, which is very damn useful for getting things like screws out of frames. By running a new line into the screw (and yes the frame may get nicked, but is usually hard to notice) and then pushing rather firmly into the remaining screw to get it out. screws are only hard on the actual head, otherwise they are very soft. Otherwise the special screwdriver by Hilco is useful. it has a bunch of small jagged edges, which just need to be jammed into the screw head and then turned. unfortunently gerber-coburn (the Australian distributers for Hilco) have a very large backorder for these screwdrivers!!! Ours hasn't arrived:o

Any good tips to avoid snapping of the lens side when using nylon frames?? i only ask coz i was mean to my own when cleaning them today and the lens just chipped away...I ahd some stubborn dirt on the lens. I had to re-order

please help me !!!!!

Thanks
    James

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Strange, but it works category ......when you need to get out a temple screw that is frozen or the screw head broken off, first drip a drop of hot candle wax on it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

;) Jim, the device your referring to is not a screwdriver, it is actually a screw extractor, that comes in at least three different sizes. Its made to fit into the screwdriver holder that most of us use. The reason for the serrated edges is so you can push down on the broken screw and get a grip on it. It is best to heat it one way or another as Al suggested, and they will come out easier.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

:D Jim, as far as not chipping a lens out of a nylon frame, i suspect its not too much different then other plastic frames. Upon heating it where it is a bit pliable, and lets presume your taking out the right lens, with your left hand hold your first finger over the front of the frame. Put your thumb against the back bevel up in the nasal corner. Hold your right hand over the top of the frame and while pushing with the left thumb, twist the top of the frame at the same time. Most lenses will come out the easiest this way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

:D Ever wonder how to clean out your salt pan, run a magnet through it, you,ll be amazed what you pick up and you will increase your screw collection

Wave ??

Harry, i don't mean nylon, as in the plastic type, i mean nylon nylon. In australia the frame with a nylon thread holding half (usually top or the bottom) this is easily replaceable with fishing line.

i think we may have our wires crossed somewhere. but i do know of a nylon, being a shell, or plastic frame as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :hammer: Hey Jim, yes in the old days we actually did have a series of frames that were actually made of nylon, ugly black and a terrible looking tortoise shell color. I imagine there is still a few of these suckers around. In the states we refer to the type of frame you are alluding to as either rimless or its correct name,nylon suspension frame. If you dont care about having to restring it, cut the line with a small exacto knife, or you can shave off the loop between the two holes and that will loosen it and then restring it. Most of these frames i have found i can take a small screwdriver and force it slightly through near the nasal edge, and then insert the small ribbon that you use to put them in with.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Concerning "nylon suspension frames", an axis pliers can sometimes be used to ease a gap to insert the ribbon...and I prefer the ribbons you can make by cutting package strapping tape. Cut tape in about 4 inch lengths, at an angle, and they work better then the flimsy gift wrapping style ribbons. Or in a pinch, such as away from office, you can use anything thin including dental floss, if you are desperate enough!

jP :bbg:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Screw extractors & Nylon mounts

Screw extractors (Mechanics call these easy~outs) are made in two ways. the first is a screwdriver with seareated (Jagged) teeth, the second is a hollow tube, which also has jagged teeth, both sometimes will extract a screw, other times you just have to try to drill the thing out and hope you don't break your drill bit, or slip off due to screw hardness and go though the soft frame.

As to nylon rimless and nylon suspencion mounts, I used to use ribbon, then I used strapping tape, then as stated earlier in this thread, I found that another peice of #20 fishing line is far superior for getting between the lens and line.

Another caution, if nylon rimless mounts are done with the nylon too snug, (as done in even the demo lenses in Charmant frames) the nylon can shrink with exposure to the sun and elements, This can and will actually result in warpage of the lens with time.

:hammer: Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 06-25-2001 at 02:23 PM.

Thread Information