This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry and all:
    Re the washing! Also, if you can't leave a retail floor to wash your hands, those antibacterial squirt dispensers are better than nothing! Don't forget to clean the pupilometers and the dispensing surfaces and telephones frequently. Winter isn't the only season to beware of infections, and we are up in peoples' faces all day long...better to do what we can to decrease risks of illness!
    jP
    sigpic "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Comment

Back to the subject of how to approach the client, I prefer to use one of two open- ended questions:

"How may I help you?"

and

"What questions can I answer for you?"

Always use an open- ended question, as it invokes an answer, as opposed to a 'no thanks' type answer. Sales 101.

Shwing;-}
      Shwing

Comment

To correct a "creaking" noise when frame is being glazed or being manipulated/adjusted try to adjust the frame in the first instance because it is probably going in and
        out of the groove even though it seems to be
        tight. Also try checking the temple width, because If tends to appear when you open the
        frame to fit it on the patient. If this doesn't work try applying a bit of talcum powder or Fairy (Ivory) liquid in the groove. This last option appears to
        be less messy and cleaner smelling!.

Comment

I have always thought that if your going to be a good optician, then you should also dress accordingly, out of respect for the trade and your customers. I am always amazed how bad and how sloppy some are as i visit different shops. Guys with the unbuttoned shirts, gold chains and 3 inch medallions, ladies in miniskirts, low cut blouses that are revealing, have no place in the business. Myself i wear a white shirt and tie and a doctors type white jacket that has my name sewn on it in block letters. I can tell you from personal long experience it automatically draws the customers to you. Dress for success.

Comment

A question if I can... do any of you have you patients make appointments for frame stylings? Our office is debating about doing this to help the staff..... but I was wondering how that might work.
            What do ya'll think?
            Suzy

Comment

Suzy, if you ever start doing appointments, you're young, it won't take you long to regret it.

Harry, we're in 'business casual'. we're in a suburban shopping center, and really don't care to outdress our clientele. The 'ladies' on our staff would never dress 'hot' for their optician duties. I'm not into 'tech uniforms' though.

Comment

Hello Al. i,m kind of interested in what you term business casual, do you think a white shirt or colored shirt with a tie is too much, even for your setting? Also while were on the subject do you set any grooming standards for your employees?

Comment

I was curious if anyone has a good way of getting poly out of a rimless once it has been groove. I absolutely hate this chore and would love to know how the rest of you out there do it. There must be a better way!!!
                  Have a great day!!!
                  Steph

Comment

For me the best opening on either the floor or the phone is "How may I help you?" It opens the door and gives you an instant read about why the customer is there.

Dress for sucess is great advice.If you want to be treated as a professional, dress like one.

I think appointments should be encouraged.I do all my low vision stuff by appointment.It gives you the flexibility to schedule in normally non productive times.

This thread is Great! I've learned a lot in just a short time and for an old guy thats refreshing!
                    Best from the Cape,

------------------
                    Harry J

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 11-30-2000).]
                    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Steph - try soaking them in hot water for a minute. I've found that it helps a lot. I can usually get the poly residue out with my fingernail (or a screwdriver blade if I'm feeling brave).

Blake
                      Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Comment

We usually schedule appointments for dispensing. We try to get these clients to come in later in the day so that we can keep up with the folks coming out of the docs office during his appointments throughout the day. This mutual understanding of when the client is to pick up their eyewear develops a cognative feeling of your time and special service which is reserved for them which in turn makes them feel better about their purchase.

As far as an appointment for fittings, I've been stood up by too many folks who said they would be in at a certain time on a certain day and don't take most of them seriously anymore. Perhaps this would be appropriate in a very high end operation where you only see 2 or 3 clients a day and had a consistently booked schedule. However, one or two "no-shows" and you end up talking to yourself most of the day. Also don't develop the idea that these folks are neccissarily big spenders. I am sure a car salesman having a request for an appointment can expect a lot more haggling than the compulsive purchaser giving little price objection.

It is a good idea to only have one person handle appointments at a time so that another person is available to assume the other prevailing business demands of clients without appointments. The point I am trying to make is that we all try to welcome whatever business we can get and if someone is a walk-in client I would like their business just as much as someone making an appointment.

Comment

There is one tool that we all use almost every day that is actually a multi purpose tool. The nose pad plier that you use to adjust screw in type nose pad arms, is meant also to be turned around to crimp on, crimp on type nose pads. I think the number of this hilco tool is 21/235.

Comment

Thanks Blake!! I am going to try it. So far everything I have tried from this thread has worked!! :) Now can you believe I am actually hoping for a poly rimless??? Oh God I must be sick!!!LOL!! I usually use the ole screwdriver trick or a file. It works ok but don't dare get distracted for a moment.
                            Thanks Again!
                            Steph

Comment

Steph, try putting the lens in the ultrasonic cleaner with your rimless jobs, it will usually knock that junk right out.

Comment

When trying to remove those absurd PAL ink marks that all the manufactures seem to indulge in, most all of them will come off easier if you put them in a little hot water for about 30 seconds or you can steam them over the dye pot. afterwards use rubbing alcohol.

Comment

Working...
                                X