Results 1,176 to 1,198 of 1198

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

tips

Quote Originally Posted by harrysaake View Post
    hello optiboard, immm back
    Been quite awhile since i have been here, and i have noticed this thread has turned into a lot of quotes that has nothing to do with TIPS. With all the new type frames and lenses that have evolved since i started this thread back in 2000, i would think there should be many.
    This thread has been helpful to many all over the world. I have been contacted by optical groups in the phillipines, india, england etc.and a number of educators. This just enhances and shows the power of optiboard. That being said, who would like to start with a useful tip.

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    ^There has been much change... some for the better and some for the worse (hence my own hiatus) But here we are continuing to share within the industry.

I think the issue with a 48 page thread is that the posters are aware of the amount of repetition. True, there are many new materials and I think that some of those have their own threads, but we can repost some of the goods here.

*Explaining PALs to their fullest before pick-up can be overwhelming. I like to give the basics and follow up with "We will go into more depth on how to use the lens once you can try it on." I feel that this helps to not overwhelm new presbyopes.

*I recommend not heating transitional lenses as much as possible. I don't care the material- they are notorious for crazing under heat.

*Keep quality demos. Why would you ever toss Ray Ban demos the patient doesn't want when someone else might come in to order RB planos and be willing to pay for that stupid etched logo?

*Keep demos for hard to size frames like Ovvo and ICBerlin. The original demo will always trace better for reuse of the frame. We keep a catalog of the right demo with the model number written right on it.

*Always salvage what you can from broken frames. If you can't warranty it, strip it so you have parts for repairs.

*For a super tricky temple repair, I will use electrical tape and then shrink tube over it. This combo can work wonders.

*Tribrid is still my dream replacement for poly, but cost (and an odor so ferocious you want to snort acetone to rid it) keep it in the background. That being said, it is still available from select manufacturers and can be a cure-all for the needy Rx (thin, chip/ scratch resistant, better Abbe value)
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I finally finished reading this thread! All 48 pages! I have learned a lot of great tips and tricks. It's really amazing to be able to get this knowledge from people who started in this field as far back as the 50s. This is invaluable! Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I am a complete newbie compared to everyone else, (10 years in the eye care biz with one 2.5 year stint as an optician but the rest as a receptionist/optometric tech and now back to optician since January 2021).

Here are some things I don't recall reading in this thread.

1. ODs and ophthalmologists work in opposite cyls - seems basic and "duh" to most but a lot of salespeople may not know. I currently am an optician in an ophthalmology practice. Both our ophthalmologist and out optom prescribe in plus cylinder. We get confused calls from outside opticians/salespeople not understanding the plus cylinder. Transpose it if it helps you. :)

2. When troubleshooting new glasses that a patient says aren't clear, there are a few overlooked potential causes. Material change. Most patients won't notice but some will sense the lower ABBE value of polycarbonate. It has happened to me a handful of times. (If you have a patient who is very sensitive to even the slightest axis change, and they are used to a certain material, you may wish to just stick with the same material.) A lot of people today just put everyone in poly as a default. Another potential thing to keep in mind if someone isn't seeing 20/20 with their new glasses and you have access to the exam notes is are they even correctable to 20/20? Some patients have eye diseases that have caused vision loss that no amount of lens will help.

3. The 2nd point brings me to this one - consider having the EMR accessible to your optical staff. It's so convenient to just look a patient's records up in EMR and see what their best corrected VA was and what eye conditions they have. You can also see any notes the doctors or techs made about a difficult refraction.

4. For Transitions and photochromic lens demonstrations during the sale and during the dispense - a UV flashlight is a great way to instantly show the patient that yes, their lenses were made with Transitions or to show them the darkest they can possibly get. You could cover half the lens with your hand and leave the other half exposed, and shine that UV light right on it and BAM - side by side comparison. UV flashlights are only a few dollars to $10 on Amazon nowadays. We also use them when doing final inspection on completed jobs. There have been a few occasions where one lens is grey and one's brown, or one was made with photochromic and the other lens not. Saves you from having to apologize to the patient. Always, always, always educate the patient on realistic expectations. If it's cloudy out, they won't get as dark. If it's cold, they will take longer to revert to clear.

5. For new PAL wears, I made a little diagram of the way a progressive lens is laid out and laminated it. I pull it out to explain and show them that progressive corridor and that the trade-off will be that they won't be able to read close up looking out of the bottom outer corners of their lens. Of course, I re-educate more in depth during the dispense, but explaining all that and gauging their reaction also helps me to get a feel for whether they will be a good candidate. Sometimes a FT28 or 7X28 is just a better option.

6. The magic trick - I have seen this mentioned on other threads. When you have a patient who is complaining about glasses and you cannot find a single thing left to adjust or change, tell them you are going to take them back and try another adjustment. Out of patient sight, lay them on the counter and wait a few moments. Make some noise. Come back out and ask them to give them a try. Many times they will say, "So much better." It's really magic. Sometimes certain patients just need to think you've adjusted them so many times.

Going to think up some more and post again.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good post Krystle. Regards to #6, being a successful Optician requires 80% Psychology, 20% Ophthalmic knowledge.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Krystle, I do the same thing with #5. I have a form that is a color chart that shows the difference between conventional progressives, digital progressives and even camber. I also have included FT and near variable focus lenses. It's great for all patients. We have color copies that we hand out. It's pretty generic showing the general corridors but it works great for them to understand. Helps to explain why you can see computer better with computer glasses etc. I also have a "lens menu" that we created that has all materials and definitions and also lens types. I often circle what the patient chose and write prices on the back etc. I find this helps after they get home and can't remember what digital meant or what trivex was etc. Also lets them make an informed decision. So much better.
    Last edited by mervinek; 06-25-2021 at 08:19 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "6. The magic trick - I have seen this mentioned on other threads. When you have a patient who is complaining about glasses and you cannot find a single thing left to adjust or change, tell them you are going to take them back and try another adjustment. Out of patient sight, lay them on the counter and wait a few moments. Make some noise. Come back out and ask them to give them a try. Many times they will say, "So much better." It's really magic. Sometimes certain patients just need to think you've adjusted them so many times."

Don't forget to clean the lenses and warm the temples.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    "6. The magic trick - I have seen this mentioned on other threads. When you have a patient who is complaining about glasses and you cannot find a single thing left to adjust or change, tell them you are going to take them back and try another adjustment. Out of patient sight, lay them on the counter and wait a few moments. Make some noise. Come back out and ask them to give them a try. Many times they will say, "So much better." It's really magic. Sometimes certain patients just need to think you've adjusted them so many times."

Don't forget to clean the lenses and warm the temples.
    WE used to call em "WIPE OFFS"

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "4. For Transitions and photochromic lens demonstrations during the sale and during the dispense"

When people came in complaining that their Transitions didn't darken, I'd take two LEAP pads and paste them back to back on the two sides of one lens. Then we'd take a walk outside and wait about 60 seconds with me timing it with my watch as I explained that they actually take several minutes to darken completely. Worked best on a cold, sunny day. Then I'd peel off the pads leaving them with a nice donut shaped light area on their lens. Usual response was, "Gee. I guess they do change color."
    Last edited by waynegilpin; 01-24-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    #6 the Magic Shelf, what I call it.
    Not just for troubleshooting, but also for “remakes”. It’s a time honored practice.
    #7 If you have a competent lab manager on site, the white coat goes a long way. But only if your lab manager is competent.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a regular patient who comes in a lot for adjustments. He’s lonely. Usually there’s nothing wrong. Second to last time after I made a minor adjustment he asked me if I had really done anything. I am going to remember to heat the temples next time.

The last time he was in I tried adjustment after adjustment. The frames seemed oversized and I couldn’t figure out why the lenses were so thick compared to his other glasses. I was about to pull up his record to see why, when he said the frame was perfectly adjusted, and his son was going to be pleased.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've heated the line with a hot air blower momentarily while pulling the frame slightly and the line stretches.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For those hard to detect progressive markings, I have been using a small (3-4mm) but very bright led light and an attachable magnifier at a distance of about 4 feet. I also have used the reflection of the sun off a chrome bumper or windshield.(lab windows are tinted to 20%) That bright pinpoint lights up the laser markings quite well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Farhan Hassan View Post
    -0.50/+1.00@75

What is cross cylinder form the prescription given above. Plz help
    Am confused 
    I know its a very very late answer but cross cyl would be:
    -0.50 x 165 / +0.50 x 75

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you drop a trial lens on your patient's lap, it's better to ask the patient to hand it back to you.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    If you drop a trial lens on your patient's lap, it's better to ask the patient to hand it back to you.

Depends on the patient…Remind me to tell you of the young lady that sat in my dispensing chair as I stood at my lab door, repeatedly telling me how hot it was in there while fluffing her skirt ala Sharon Stone in Basic Instincts without the leg crossing!…Man, l sure miss dispensing…..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And like Paul Harvey, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story! Down on the farm!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    ...Man, l sure miss dispensing…..
    Oh not me.

When I retired @ 62, I had an older patient ask me why. She was in her 80's and had a great sense of humor, so I told her that I was sick of dealing with idiots and a$$holes. She immediately asked, "The Doctors or the patients?"

If they were all like her, I would have worked a few more years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    And like Paul Harvey, I can't wait to hear the rest of the story! Down on the farm!
    Warren, I don’t think I can write about that here. When we’re in a bar together again, I wanna hear stories of your Velvet Teddie Bear days, performing around the country. I know you got better stories than me!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Consider that done!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Oh not me.

When I retired @ 62, I had an older patient ask me why. She was in her 80's and had a great sense of humor, so I told her that I was sick of dealing with idiots and a$$holes. She immediately asked, "The Doctors or the patients?"

If they were all like her, I would have worked a few more years.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Regarding the process of disassembling and assembling rimless glasses with chord-mounted lenses, I've discovered a more convenient technique. Instead of opting for ribbons or fine metallic objects, I recommend using a 20# test line. This thin yet sturdy line can be inserted between the lens and the groove, facilitating the removal process by gently pulling the line from the groove.

Furthermore, it's worth noting that in the pursuit of achieving thinner lenses, some individuals may compromise the necessary thickness on each side of the groove. This insufficient thickness can lead to chipping either during handling or, more concerning, during regular use by the wearer. I recently encountered a pair that was over a year old and observed chipping issues, emphasizing the importance of maintaining an adequate thickness on both sides of the groove for the longevity and durability of the glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today's advice is fundamental yet frequently overlooked. When assessing the alignment of eyeglass frames, the primary focus should be on ensuring straightness across the front. Even if a frame maintains a seemingly balanced 4-point stance on the wearer's face, any deviation from straightness compromises the overall fit. It's a common occurrence to encounter frames with one side appearing higher or more bent than the other, often leading patients to attribute the imbalance to differences in ear height.

In reality, these perceived differences are usually minuscule, and the claim of one ear being higher than the other is often a misconception. The key lies in a scientific examination of the frame's front alignment. Frames that appear misaligned can be a significant factor in the perceived unevenness, emphasizing the importance of a meticulous assessment for optimal comfort and visual performance.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When deciding on a local lab, check the lab manager's office or home for paintings, pictures, and/or framed certificates hanging on the wall. If they're not level... said a wise optiboarder.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information