Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3742434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1198

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Without sounding like the old school optician (I am and admit proudly), therein lies the problem with lack of oversight of our profession. With so few states requiring a rigorous written and practical examination before licensing this is what you get.........

One of my greatest fears has been that I would die and not have been able to impart all my "old school" knowledge and wisdom to the next optical generation. I am fortunate that my son decided to make this his career and we both benefited from my teaching and coaching him. So I have a challenge for all the old school opticians out there..... Every day find a teachable moment and make it your priority to teach/coach that young(er) optician in your workplace. That is the only way our craft will survive into the next generation of optical professionals.

"It is easy to say "No", when there is a deeper "Yes" burning within." Stephen Covey

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The "craft" has changed. The "optician" has changed. The "business" has changed. Don't waste your time. Enjoy your retirement.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rbaker- I am a few years away from retirement, thank you. Can you elaborate on how you see the industry has changed? Frankly I'm not sure how to interpret your reply so I'll ask for clarification before I comment further.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my state (TX,) certification is not required. The ignorance that some opticians display is astounding. That's because most offices push high sales above all else. I resist this pressure from my bosses because I want the patient to be satisfied. I don't want the patient to get mad at me, feeling like they are being railroaded into buying add-ons they don't need or want. I am far from a perfect optician and not certified myself, but I have benefited a great deal from my experience as an optometric and ophthalmic technician. It helps me get the whole picture about what might be going on with patient beyond just the frame/lens component. Requiring certification would be very helpful, but most employers here do not reimburse us for testing, and it's too expensive for us to afford it without financial assistance. And many opticians are just not interested (although I am.)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper ........and Dick's statement is a fact that can not be changed,..............

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstargazer View Post

Every day find a teachable moment and make it your priority to teach/coach that young(er) optician in your workplace. That is the only way our craft will survive into the next generation of optical professionals.

.........very noble and recommendable.

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

The "craft" has changed. The "optician" has changed. The "business" has changed. Don't waste your time. Enjoy your retirement.

........and Dick's statement is a fact that can not be changed, as history has been made by top ranking planning, and will be introduced at their own speed, after the big merger at the end of next month.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    In my state (TX,) certification is not required. The ignorance that some opticians display is astounding. That's because most offices push high sales above all else. I resist this pressure from my bosses because I want the patient to be satisfied. I don't want the patient to get mad at me, feeling like they are being railroaded into buying add-ons they don't need or want. I am far from a perfect optician and not certified myself, but I have benefited a great deal from my experience as an optometric and ophthalmic technician. It helps me get the whole picture about what might be going on with patient beyond just the frame/lens component. Requiring certification would be very helpful, but most employers here do not reimburse us for testing, and it's too expensive for us to afford it without financial assistance. And many opticians are just not interested (although I am.)
    Be an example of what's possible. Walk your talk and get certified. There are so many affordable study options out there!

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Superb advice .....................only a bit late ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post

Be an example of what's possible. Walk your talk and get certified. There are so many affordable study options out there!

Superb advice .....................only a bit late in today's power game and play.

After close to 20 years of making changes to a 100 year old progressive system, without any effective objections from any source, the optical retail trade on the North American Continent has become the test market of the optical monopolis for their world domination.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Trust me when I say this. Licensed opticians are just as bad. I know. I make glasses for them and I ponder how they passed their boards.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    It may sound like overkill because, in theory, if the patient has been called his job should have been final inspected, benched, and cleaned. But… unless you are the only optician at your shop, and do ALL the work yourself, you really don’t have complete control of what comes out of your lab. The possibility exists that the job might have flaws.

Occupation

Blue Jumper It may sound like overkill because, in theory,.......................................

Quote Originally Posted by varzay View Post

It may sound like overkill because, in theory, if the patient has been called his job should have been final inspected, benched, and cleaned. But… unless you are the only optician at your shop, and do ALL the work yourself, you really don’t have complete control of what comes out of your lab. The possibility exists that the job might have flaws.

Then talk to your boss, to add another professional optician to keep the quality to the top, or start loosing out to the online opticals ot other competition.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When dispensing to Children, ask them their favourite colour initially. Then try and find a frame in that colour for them. Try and not "talk-down" to them or baby them. I usually spend most of the frame selection time on my knee's talking directly to the child. Try and let the child choose the glasses they want - This means that the child is more likely to wear the glasses instead of having them sitting in the case the whole time and the parents have wasted $$$. Many times i have seen a mother or father demand that the child wear a frame they do not like - in 90% of these cases i highly doubt they will ever get used.

Another tip for children - Ask if its their 1st real pair of glasses. If it is, you can give them the "Golden Rules Of Glasses"

1) After the glasses are made with your special magic lenses, the ONLY head in the whole wide world they are allowed to be on is YOURS. Not Your friends. Not your Brothers / Sisters. Just you as these are made special just for you!

2) If they ever hurt you on your nose or your ears, Tell Mum/Dad and come in here and i will fix them just for you! Dont try it yourself!

3) When taking them off and on, ALWAYS use 2 hands - otherwise the sides can get bent out of shape!

4) When they are not on your face, PUT in the CASE!

5) (To the Parent) - They will get knocked out of shape or twisted most likely - Kids will be Kids. Its not the end of the world. Bring them instore and let me fix them here. Dont try a home repair!

I love these tips for kids, specifically the take-home instructions! I obviously always cautioned young contact lens wearers about "sharing" but it never occurred to me to educate my young eyeglass wearers. I do usually try to steer the parent into the direction of frame selection the child wants (as long as it fits) for the same reason you cite. They will throw them in their backpack or desk and won't get worn.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spot on GAgirl!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I haven't gone thru all 47 pages...but I'd like to ask a question as an OD practicing for 30 years, directed towards dispensing opticians.

@ new spectacle delivery...why?/do you request? buyer feedback on acuity @ dispense?

I do not report acuity with my Rx's. Does any OD?

Ex: My elderly patient (with new rx) could have gone from 20/80 to 20/40 with new rx.... yet you (often, not always) ask if he/she can see 20/20 on your dispensing chart.
    My patient may be happy, but not when he/she can't see your 20/20 chart.

I would suggest no acuity charts at new Rx dispense.

As WE ALL KNOW, patients will certainly let us know if new Rx is not an improvement over old Rx.

Again, my apologies if this has already been covered. Personal pet-peeve of mine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    I haven't gone thru all 47 pages...but I'd like to ask a question as an OD practicing for 30 years, directed towards dispensing opticians.

@ new spectacle delivery...why?/do you request? buyer feedback on acuity @ dispense?

I do not report acuity with my Rx's. Does any OD?

Ex: My elderly patient (with new rx) could have gone from 20/80 to 20/40 with new rx.... yet you (often, not always) ask if he/she can see 20/20 on your dispensing chart.
    My patient may be happy, but not when he/she can't see your 20/20 chart.

I would suggest no acuity charts at new Rx dispense.

As WE ALL KNOW, patients will certainly let us know if new Rx is not an improvement over old Rx.

Again, my apologies if this has already been covered. Personal pet-peeve of mine.

My pet peeve would be: “why don’t Drs include VA with the RX ?”

It shows what to aim for. It doesn’t need to be discussed, but I would know if I’d done my job to the best of my ability.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    My pet peeve would be: “why don’t Drs include VA with the RX ?”

It shows what to aim for. It doesn’t need to be discussed, but I would know if I’d done my job to the best of my ability.
    Fair enough.

I guess if these are some of our pet-peeves, we got it pretty easy, yeah?

Srsly, I never have put acuities on Rx's...and don't recall other prescribers doing so, either.

But maybe I'm the outlier on this? Wouldnt be the first time, lol.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would not go as far as saying it is a pet peeve, but it is nice to know what the patient should be able to visually achieve. When selling glasses to someone with an rx from one of our doctors, we check the final findings, rx difference, and change in va so that we can help advise the patient on what to expect with their new glasses. At the dispense, we ask patient to look in the distance and tell us how they see, and we provide them a reading card and ask them to read the smallest print they can. If the patient is unhappy with their vision and it is one our rx's, then we refer back to the chart notes and see what the expected va's are. This can help us know if the problem is with the glasses or if there is something going on with their eyes that precludes them from having the vision that they would like. As opticians we would not be doing our job if we did not have the patient test their vision when they are picking up their glasses.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Advice

I have edged cr39 lenses for what looks like a acetate frame. , Even though I have cut the lenses smaller than the frame shape, they are still too large it seems, I have heated the frame and cannot insert the lenses into the frame completely. Should I try from the back or front? i have no idea why it is not working. Any advice?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It 'seems' they are too big because they 'are too big'.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Quig View Post
    It 'seems' they are too big because they 'are too big'.

I cut lenses for acytl frames all day every day,
    I have never come across this before, especially when i have cut multilple lenses for the same frame even much smaller than the actual frame and i cannot get them snapped in.
    I am still trying to figure out this particular material.
    Please comment if you are actually going to be helpful.

Thanks

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OPS_Mobile View Post
    I cut lenses for acytl frames all day every day,
    I have never come across this before, especially when i have cut multilple lenses for the same frame even much smaller than the actual frame and i cannot get them snapped in.
    I am still trying to figure out this particular material.
    Please comment if you are actually going to be helpful.

Thanks
    Sorry, but if it doesn't fit, as in you cannot get the lens mounted all the way, it's too big. You stated that you cut it smaller than the 'actual frame size' and you can't get them snapped in. You didn't cut them 'small enough'. They're too big. It's that simple. I can't explain why, but some plastic frames trace a little weird and they'll cut a bit small, or in your case, a bit big. It happens. If there's any doubt, I err on the side of large. You can always cut them smaller but once the lens is cut too small you certainly can't make it larger.

Without knowing your experience level or the frame or the edging equipment you're using I can't be all that specific but I will say, you should have fit the lenses to the frame before de-blocking them. If you did that you'd totally 100% eliminate this problem. However, the problem isn't that big a problem anyway, hand edge the lenses to fit and learn from your mistake and adjust next time.

Good luck.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    He's something I haven't seen in this thread. When taking a lens out of hot tint, do not use cold water to get said tint off the lenses. Use a warm, alcohol solution. I did this once thinking nothing of it.... My lenses and their tints were ruined just like that.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by OPS_Mobile View Post
    I have edged cr39 lenses for what looks like a acetate frame. , Even though I have cut the lenses smaller than the frame shape, they are still too large it seems, I have heated the frame and cannot insert the lenses into the frame completely. Should I try from the back or front? i have no idea why it is not working. Any advice?
    Most likely, the frame has an inclined bevel, which means that the back rim is smaller than the front rim. Therefore, if the lens has any thickness, you won't be able to insert it. You need to do a small step bevel on the lenses.

Bad address email on file Lawman Nick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are having trouble getting a push in nose pad out of the rectangular slot, take a pair of cutting pliers, turn them side ways, and work the thin part of the blade between the pad, and the metal slot. As you wiggle the blade in, it should create space between the pad and the slot, and it should slip right out. Those things are tougher than the look.

(if you break a patients frame, lie and say you didn't do it)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For snap in nose pads I prefer to use that 4 or 5mm wide optical screwdriver you’ve got in a drawer somewhere, never used cause it’s too friggin’ big for any eyewire or temple screw..

Put the screwdriver between the pad and metal pad bracket. Twist the driver towards the top of the pad 1st, partially moving the top of the pad out (this aligns the groove on the snap pad to align with the “ball” indention on the pad arm so the pad slides out easier) when you twist the driver now towards the bottom of the pad. You may need to repeat several times, but usually they come right off without mis-aligning the pad arm or pad arm wire (I don’t want to have to readjust/bend the pad arm, especially on older frames). Works way better than a pad poper.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hello optiboard, immm back

Thread Information