Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647
Results 1,151 to 1,158 of 1158

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

  1. #1151
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    102
    Without sounding like the old school optician (I am and admit proudly), therein lies the problem with lack of oversight of our profession. With so few states requiring a rigorous written and practical examination before licensing this is what you get.........

    One of my greatest fears has been that I would die and not have been able to impart all my "old school" knowledge and wisdom to the next optical generation. I am fortunate that my son decided to make this his career and we both benefited from my teaching and coaching him. So I have a challenge for all the old school opticians out there..... Every day find a teachable moment and make it your priority to teach/coach that young(er) optician in your workplace. That is the only way our craft will survive into the next generation of optical professionals.

    "It is easy to say "No", when there is a deeper "Yes" burning within." Stephen Covey

  2. #1152
    Master OptiBoarder rbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, OR
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    4,258
    The "craft" has changed. The "optician" has changed. The "business" has changed. Don't waste your time. Enjoy your retirement.

  3. #1153
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    102
    rbaker- I am a few years away from retirement, thank you. Can you elaborate on how you see the industry has changed? Frankly I'm not sure how to interpret your reply so I'll ask for clarification before I comment further.

  4. #1154
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    21
    In my state (TX,) certification is not required. The ignorance that some opticians display is astounding. That's because most offices push high sales above all else. I resist this pressure from my bosses because I want the patient to be satisfied. I don't want the patient to get mad at me, feeling like they are being railroaded into buying add-ons they don't need or want. I am far from a perfect optician and not certified myself, but I have benefited a great deal from my experience as an optometric and ophthalmic technician. It helps me get the whole picture about what might be going on with patient beyond just the frame/lens component. Requiring certification would be very helpful, but most employers here do not reimburse us for testing, and it's too expensive for us to afford it without financial assistance. And many opticians are just not interested (although I am.)

  5. #1155
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,141

    Redhot Jumper ........and Dick's statement is a fact that can not be changed,..............

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstargazer View Post

    Every day find a teachable moment and make it your priority to teach/coach that young(er) optician in your workplace. That is the only way our craft will survive into the next generation of optical professionals.


    .........very noble and recommendable.


    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker

    The "craft" has changed. The "optician" has changed. The "business" has changed. Don't waste your time. Enjoy your retirement.

    ........and Dick's statement is a fact that can not be changed, as history has been made by top ranking planning, and will be introduced at their own speed, after the big merger at the end of next month.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  6. #1156
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
    In my state (TX,) certification is not required. The ignorance that some opticians display is astounding. That's because most offices push high sales above all else. I resist this pressure from my bosses because I want the patient to be satisfied. I don't want the patient to get mad at me, feeling like they are being railroaded into buying add-ons they don't need or want. I am far from a perfect optician and not certified myself, but I have benefited a great deal from my experience as an optometric and ophthalmic technician. It helps me get the whole picture about what might be going on with patient beyond just the frame/lens component. Requiring certification would be very helpful, but most employers here do not reimburse us for testing, and it's too expensive for us to afford it without financial assistance. And many opticians are just not interested (although I am.)
    Be an example of what's possible. Walk your talk and get certified. There are so many affordable study options out there!

  7. #1157
    Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    in Naples FL for the Winter months
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    23,141

    Redhot Jumper Superb advice .....................only a bit late ...........................

    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post

    Be an example of what's possible. Walk your talk and get certified. There are so many affordable study options out there!

    Superb advice .....................only a bit late in today's power game and play.

    After close to 20 years of making changes to a 100 year old progressive system, without any effective objections from any source, the optical retail trade on the North American Continent has become the test market of the optical monopolis for their world domination.
    Chris Ryser
    ________________________________________
    DLO. NA.IC.I.T.PO

    http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

  8. #1158
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    729
    Trust me when I say this. Licensed opticians are just as bad. I know. I make glasses for them and I ponder how they passed their boards.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. in home dispensing
    By Dannyboy in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-12-2002, 06:45 PM
  2. Need some Marchon temple tips...
    By Pete Hanlin in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-14-2002, 06:47 PM
  3. Alaska Opticianry Licensing Law Hit Hard
    By MVEYES in forum Professional and Educational Organizations Discussion Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 09:27 AM
  4. Optical Dispensing News
    By Joann Raytar in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2002, 08:51 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-27-2001, 08:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
BC College of Optics, Younger Optics and Vision Equipment