Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Frames and higher plus lenses.

Preshape the frame. Most frames are built on a 6 base curve. Then trace or make your pattern.
    If you're new at it, practice a lot.
    Lenses will stay in under normal wear better, won't pop out if you have to do radical changes in pantoscopic curve. Don't be chicken to preshape a frame along the B meridian either. The greater your effort to match frame and lens, the better the crafts-ship!
    There is no law against preshaping a frame. Ralph Lauren, Pierre, and the rest of the designers, I promise, will not sue you and you won't lose your license. Your patient will appreciate it, too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Re selling, i personally try never to say can i help you, as surveys have shown it makes some customers feel like you think they are helpless or not smart. One phrase i commonly use is a smile, hello, is it time for some new glasses? Seems to put them at ease and they will start talking to you right away.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Re selling, i call this the magic number and i use it on patients all the time and they love it. This is also a good counter to LC,s you need a size 10, 12 etc, which we all know is hogwash. What i do is first take the patients pd. I then explain to them to try and look for frames that have the eye size and bridge size add up to thier pd. Then it is explained how having the eyes centered in the frame will make the lenses come out thinner. You then can add on to that how high index or aspheric lenses will further reduce thickness. the frame shape, round, oval vs aviator, and then tell about AR. You have now informed the patient of 4 ways they can reduce thickness. the will love you and usually reply,"nobody ever told me that before". Use the magic number, it works

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

As regards opening conversation, it seems that whatever you say, they will initially regard it as an attempt to sell them something. So I normally tend to open with 'Can I help you', and of course the reply, 'No, I'm just looking, thanks'. So I say 'Oh, OK', and that start talking about something else entirely (The weather, you know how we Brits love to talk about the weather, or the fuel crisis, or the taxi blockade, etc etc) Inevitably, someone else will chip in, a conversation gets going. You then get to know the customer, and they you. They end up staying for a good hour or so, normally spending quite a bit, and have had a very enjoyable experience into the bargin. Then, you get the advertisisng that money can't buy, word of mouth. Plus, it makes your own working environment better.
    Although it does have its downside. We currently have a man who comes in at least once a day, and is going on the unofficial Christmas party. (He thinks he's on the official one). But you can't win them all.

------------------
    Maria "no amusing quote" K

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am glad some of you addressed selling tips. Since I am in the lab most of the time I only have the opportunity to sell when we are extremely busy. Usually when it is extremely busy I don't always have the time to spend in conversation. I liked some of your ideas and will definately try them. Does anyone else have any other selling tips??
    Steph

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Selling is merely letting an informed client buy what they choose to purchase and respecting their decision. "informed" is the key word though. Best to sit down with the pt., with their new prescription, and discuss their "lenses" first, their needs, such as sunglasses, or computer lenses, to go along with their normal "everyday" glasses. discuss hobbies, avocations such as golf, etc. or even the need for "safety" glasses. at this time, they can be "informed" about lens design choices, AR coating, thinnner lens designs,etc. Then you are better able to make recommendations about frame styling that will not compromise they prescription. In greeting, old pts should be appreciated with a "glad to see you again", new pts, introduce yourself and pick up on "their" name quickly. advise them that the most important thing they are here for is their lenses and it will help greatly if we sit down together and ewvaluate their lens needs first. Al.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

RE: Selling

I think location has a lot to do with the approach strategy of your clients. In a mall location you will indeed get folks "Just looking" while they are also shopping for a wardrobe, jewlery, etc. However someone driving up to your place, finding a parking spot, getting out of their car in 15 degree weather is probably not "Just looking" but rather is coming to you for a specific purpose. Therefore your approach warrants a more cordial introduction by offering immediate assistance.

Alan W, One of the reasons we went to more sophisticated edging was to be able to put a specific curved bevel on high plus or high minus power lenses. on the say +8.50 BC lenses, we'll just have the edger pu a +5.00 curve on the edge, then you don't have to contort the frame; it makes a nice looking job and the frame is easier to adjust, same thing with the +2.00 BC jobs. Al.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This may sound very basic, but wash your hands in between every patient and after lunch. Nothing worse then eating a salami sandwich and then adjusting someones glasses, or if you have ever had one of those ladys come in wearing the 5.00 a gallon evening in paris perfume which will now be all over your hands and will now transfer to the next person you touch.

OptiBoard Novice
    I think this new chain of dispensing tips is
    very good so keep them coming guys!
    Jorge

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Harry and all:
    Re the washing! Also, if you can't leave a retail floor to wash your hands, those antibacterial squirt dispensers are better than nothing! Don't forget to clean the pupilometers and the dispensing surfaces and telephones frequently. Winter isn't the only season to beware of infections, and we are up in peoples' faces all day long...better to do what we can to decrease risks of illness!
    jP

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Back to the subject of how to approach the client, I prefer to use one of two open- ended questions:

"How may I help you?"

and

"What questions can I answer for you?"

Always use an open- ended question, as it invokes an answer, as opposed to a 'no thanks' type answer. Sales 101.

Shwing;-}

OptiBoard Novice
    To correct a "creaking" noise when frame is being glazed or being manipulated/adjusted try to adjust the frame in the first instance because it is probably going in and
    out of the groove even though it seems to be
    tight. Also try checking the temple width, because If tends to appear when you open the
    frame to fit it on the patient. If this doesn't work try applying a bit of talcum powder or Fairy (Ivory) liquid in the groove. This last option appears to
    be less messy and cleaner smelling!.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always thought that if your going to be a good optician, then you should also dress accordingly, out of respect for the trade and your customers. I am always amazed how bad and how sloppy some are as i visit different shops. Guys with the unbuttoned shirts, gold chains and 3 inch medallions, ladies in miniskirts, low cut blouses that are revealing, have no place in the business. Myself i wear a white shirt and tie and a doctors type white jacket that has my name sewn on it in block letters. I can tell you from personal long experience it automatically draws the customers to you. Dress for success.

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A question if I can... do any of you have you patients make appointments for frame stylings? Our office is debating about doing this to help the staff..... but I was wondering how that might work.
    What do ya'll think?
    Suzy

Suzy, if you ever start doing appointments, you're young, it won't take you long to regret it.

Harry, we're in 'business casual'. we're in a suburban shopping center, and really don't care to outdress our clientele. The 'ladies' on our staff would never dress 'hot' for their optician duties. I'm not into 'tech uniforms' though.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Al. i,m kind of interested in what you term business casual, do you think a white shirt or colored shirt with a tie is too much, even for your setting? Also while were on the subject do you set any grooming standards for your employees?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I was curious if anyone has a good way of getting poly out of a rimless once it has been groove. I absolutely hate this chore and would love to know how the rest of you out there do it. There must be a better way!!!
    Have a great day!!!
    Steph

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For me the best opening on either the floor or the phone is "How may I help you?" It opens the door and gives you an instant read about why the customer is there.

Dress for sucess is great advice.If you want to be treated as a professional, dress like one.

I think appointments should be encouraged.I do all my low vision stuff by appointment.It gives you the flexibility to schedule in normally non productive times.

This thread is Great! I've learned a lot in just a short time and for an old guy thats refreshing!
    Best from the Cape,

------------------
    Harry J

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 11-30-2000).]

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Steph - try soaking them in hot water for a minute. I've found that it helps a lot. I can usually get the poly residue out with my fingernail (or a screwdriver blade if I'm feeling brave).

Blake

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

We usually schedule appointments for dispensing. We try to get these clients to come in later in the day so that we can keep up with the folks coming out of the docs office during his appointments throughout the day. This mutual understanding of when the client is to pick up their eyewear develops a cognative feeling of your time and special service which is reserved for them which in turn makes them feel better about their purchase.

As far as an appointment for fittings, I've been stood up by too many folks who said they would be in at a certain time on a certain day and don't take most of them seriously anymore. Perhaps this would be appropriate in a very high end operation where you only see 2 or 3 clients a day and had a consistently booked schedule. However, one or two "no-shows" and you end up talking to yourself most of the day. Also don't develop the idea that these folks are neccissarily big spenders. I am sure a car salesman having a request for an appointment can expect a lot more haggling than the compulsive purchaser giving little price objection.

It is a good idea to only have one person handle appointments at a time so that another person is available to assume the other prevailing business demands of clients without appointments. The point I am trying to make is that we all try to welcome whatever business we can get and if someone is a walk-in client I would like their business just as much as someone making an appointment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

There is one tool that we all use almost every day that is actually a multi purpose tool. The nose pad plier that you use to adjust screw in type nose pad arms, is meant also to be turned around to crimp on, crimp on type nose pads. I think the number of this hilco tool is 21/235.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Thanks Blake!! I am going to try it. So far everything I have tried from this thread has worked!! :) Now can you believe I am actually hoping for a poly rimless??? Oh God I must be sick!!!LOL!! I usually use the ole screwdriver trick or a file. It works ok but don't dare get distracted for a moment.
    Thanks Again!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steph, try putting the lens in the ultrasonic cleaner with your rimless jobs, it will usually knock that junk right out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When trying to remove those absurd PAL ink marks that all the manufactures seem to indulge in, most all of them will come off easier if you put them in a little hot water for about 30 seconds or you can steam them over the dye pot. afterwards use rubbing alcohol.

Thread Information