Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    PLEASE SHORTEN THE TEMPLE TO THE LENGTH DESIRED BEFORE CALLING CLIENT TO COME AND PICK UP THEIR GLASSES OR I WILL STAB YOU IN THE FACE!!!

Thank You!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All caps indicate your angry, and I digress. I disagree with this, as its much easier to do at the final fitting. Very easy to take a tad more off, but you sure can't glue it back on. Final fit is exactly that, and where these things should be done. JMHO

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No offense man. Do you work in a busy office? When you are fitting your pair when selling them and you notice that the temple has to have 20mm taken off and the temple tips snipped and refit it makes sense to do this before the client shows up 10 minutes before the store closes and you have a dozen people there. It's not convenient for the client or anybody else for that matter.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    No offense man. Do you work in a busy office? When you are fitting your pair when selling them and you notice that the temple has to have 20mm taken off and the temple tips snipped and refit it makes sense to do this before the client shows up 10 minutes before the store closes and you have a dozen people there. It's not convenient for the client or anybody else for that matter.
    Oh, I get it, it's closing time and I have to get home. Lame excuse "man", and yes, I work in a busy office where I prefer to do a lot of the final fitting myself, and the proper way.

Sorry, your option of having someone chomp off 20mm after selling holds no water with me here. By the way, it's after 5:00, closing time.:hammer:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Oh, I get it, it's closing time and I have to get home. Lame excuse "man", and yes, I work in a busy office where I prefer to do a lot of the final fitting myself, and the proper way.

Sorry, your option of having someone chomp off 20mm after selling holds no water with me here. By the way, it's after 5:00, closing time.:hammer:
    Ok then. By the same token. What if a longer temple length needed to be ordered and you only found this out at the final fitting? Same deal. Not so much an inconvenience to me at closing time because I'm already there aren't I? Again, it's the client who has to wait for you.
    As much as I'm sure it's a pleasure for your clients to sit and watch you snip and file their temple tips while they are noticeably feeling uncomfortable because other people are waiting for adjustments and dispensings as you're doing work that could have been done before they even got there, "man".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Ok then. By the same token. What if a longer temple length needed to be ordered and you only found this out at the final fitting? Same deal. Not so much an inconvenience to me at closing time because I'm already there aren't I? Again, it's the client who has to wait for you.
    As much as I'm sure it's a pleasure for your clients to sit and watch you snip and file their temple tips while they are noticeably feeling uncomfortable because other people are waiting for adjustments and dispensings as you're doing work that could have been done before they even got there, "man".
    My last response here as this is not the proper place to debate this, unless you care to start a new thread.

Now the scenerio has changed from too long to being too short? Which is it? The point is by your own admission, it was close to closing, and you had a fit that required more than the norm, shortening a temple length. Welcome to optical retail "man", as people come in at their convenience, not ours. I hope you did what most of us would do, and make them fit properly, and the people waiting would totally understand the quality of care you exibited to that patient. Yes, that may mean being there until well past closing to take care of them, but heh, thats what it takes for most of us. To the others, it's all about the time they get off.

If you have been around this business for any length of time, you would know you can't "pre-fit" a pair of specs, and do it properly.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    thread started. :) and like hell you can't.
    Last edited by edKENdance; 02-10-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: after thought

Bad address email on file Mr.Goggle's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't really want to get involved in the argument, but it's been my experience that whoever I'm waiting on, 99 out of 100 times, could give a crap less about the other people waiting. In fact, I think it gives pleasure to some people to know that everyone is waiting and they control the whole room. Ok, I'm involved. I would never cut temples without the patients head being there for reference. Thats just me.

Bad address email on file Mr.Goggle's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Did some of this conversation get deleted?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nope. I started a thread on the main forum.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Hey steph

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    I was curious if anyone has a good way of getting poly out of a rimless once it has been groove. I absolutely hate this chore and would love to know how the rest of you out there do it. There must be a better way!!!
    Have a great day!!!
    Steph
    Joined this thread really late - sorry if this is a repeated suggestion. In our lab we use a piece of old carpet (any carpet will do - maybe avoid the shag carpeting). After your lens has been edged and grooved, simply run it up and down on the old piece of carpet. I suggest cleaning the carpet first if it has red wine stains on it. Your staff will appreciate it :) Cheers!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dispensing

For anyone who can make it to VEE this upcoming weekend, ALEX YOHO is teaching the 4 hour optical boot camp course, in fact twice on saturday only. It will be my pleasure to assist him in these classes.

This is especially good for all of you newcomers, and it is good for 4 education credits just about anywhere, plus unlike some courses you will not be bored.

Alex is the master and can make tools sing, i never fail to learn something myself, after all these years

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

new screw

call optisource and get the latest on a new snap off screw system they have that is much better then the hilco snap offs.

they come in about 25 sizes and lenghts. basically you have a screw with a long shaft thats not threaded and smaller in diameter then the screw, so now you can self align real easy and when you snap it off its even with the barrel, so no filing

when i was at vee in NY, this was a real hit

you can reach them at 1-800-678-4768

NO! i do not work for or have any financial interest in optisource

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep this forum going..I'm an old-timer(30 years) and picked up a couple new tricks.(have used the paper clip to fix bridge myself...got this from one of my customer 25+ years ago who did it to his own frame)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Maybe the producer of Crizal should be forced to supply a good and working marker pen for every 20 pairs you purchase."

Totally agree. Zeiss gives us gobs of lens markers - they rock.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    heres a tip to make your patients feel a little bit better when they are picking up thier new glasses.

this especially works good with metal frames, take the hot air blower and run it over the frame for about 15 seconds, check to make sure its not hot, and then dispense to the patient and let them experience that warm fuzzy feeling with thier new glasses

Michael DiSanto, god rest his soul, once said since he was getting glasses at an early age on, what made him become an optician. was that warm fuzzy feeling he got every time he went to the doc, the rest is history

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cl.s

Quote Originally Posted by cleyes View Post
    HERE I AM... But I'm in danger of extinction! Since the advent of soft lenses and "easy" fitting "one size fits all" marketing to patients and underinformed practitioners, a new species evolved: The CL REHABILITATOR, whose mission is to bring those corneas back from the brink of destruction. On the other hand, I've been busier than ever refitting, educating, and reforming these patients, many of whom have been sold lenses by an amazing array of MD, OD, & opticians. In my opinion, lack of patient education & inadequate to non-existent follow-up constitutes theft of service.
    Cleyes, this is a thread for tips on dispensing as opposed to ranting, suggest you take this to the general discussion forum and start a new thread on this subject, now if you have some real bonafide tips to pass along we would be grateful to hear them

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Harry! now for a real tip:

I find that broken plastic bridges are easier to mend with various widths and lengths of metal temple pieces that are cut up. I use my soldering/brazing unit to create the heat required. By alternatively heatsinking the flat bar into each side of the break and removing it, I can coax any length that I prefer into the openings, cleaning around the hole as I go. The final sink on one side is cleaned with a knife file, before reheated to plunge into the other side. After cooling and filing you have an acetone ready, polish ready, solid mend. It takes practice, but it is quick and very stable.

uncut

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all the tips, great thread!!
    =)
    Last edited by kamies76; 05-09-2010 at 05:11 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

springed nose pad arms??

I've seen them, but forget who makes them. Can anyone help tell me which frame companies makes mens frames with the springed nose pad arms? I have someone looking for one. Thanks!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i've found an easy way to discribe people's rx in laymans terms. i tell them that their prescription in like dollar bills and quarters. if their rx went from a 2.50 to 3.25, i tell them that the change was like 75 cents. my colleagues think i'm a bit nuts, but most patients like it. i don't know, i could be nuts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've seen them in the past, they were from L.........ers. They used to advertise them, many yrs ago when newly formed : spring nosepad arms , not a good thing

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I have a kappa edger, and attached velcro to the bar code readers on the side of the machine and tracer. It soon fell off the tracer, and I now use the outside sticky portion of the velcro, attached to the side, to hold my marking pens, tip down. I'm sure you could do this with double sided tape as well, but I fell into this by accident.:cheers:
    That's crazy! I did exactly the same thing 5 years ago. with a kappa no less. what are the odds?

Bad address email on file DeniseC's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Nose Pad Replacing

I'm new to this board, so forgive me I didn't go through all of the years of "tips" yet. But for the 'New' opticians replacing nosepads with screws can be a challenge until they are really comfortable with a screwdriver. If you wedge a business card between the nosepad arm and the lens, if the screwdriver slips you won't scratch the lens :)
    This can also be helpful if you've had WAY to much coffee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseC View Post
    I'm new to this board, so forgive me I didn't go through all of the years of "tips" yet. But for the 'New' opticians replacing nosepads with screws can be a challenge until they are really comfortable with a screwdriver. If you wedge a business card between the nosepad arm and the lens, if the screwdriver slips you won't scratch the lens :)
    This can also be helpful if you've had WAY to much coffee.
    Welcome DeniseC:

But it is traditional, a rite of passage, and perhaps even viewed as a sort of initiation/hazing.....you got to read the whooooollle thing! We will ask questions later.

Thread Information