Thread: Help me select kids frames for our new optical

Rising Star

Redhot Jumper

All of you frequent optiboarders know I am in the process of opening a new optical with a Pediatric Ophalmologist. I am familiar with the different infant,kids & adolescent frames available, but have been assisting for 2 years and would like your expertise in helping me decide what are the best lines to open with.
    Also, I read recently that Sesame Street frames are being released this summer by I believe Zyloware? What other lines do they carry and do you guys like this company? I know from experience it's not the name, but who manufactur's it. Can you guys help me out with my research? P.S., the optical is not totally kids frames, but we want to have a larger selection since that is the M.D.'s specialty and I want to be able to have a wide enough range of sizes and styles to fit them without having to order first. Your advice is always appreciated.

[This message has been edited by pedseye (edited 03-24-2001).]

Rising Star

I am envious of your new shop. Many years ago, I put a Kiddies Korner in one of my shops, complete with wooden rocking horses, toys, and frame boards and mirrors at child level. Two of the receptionsts were dressed in Raggety Ann aprons. We had success with it, but I had really hoped that we could eventually turn that whole office into a pediatric one. I was going to be the chief "pediatric" to get away from the mean old lady customers, but we never got enough to convert the whole shop that way.
    Neostyle has some nice, high style kids' frames that I was having some success with before I retired recently, but Clearvision Fisher-Price was our mainstay. People liked the name, and the frames were very durable.
    Lots of luck with the little ones. They sure are sweet.

------------------
    There IS life after optical business!!!

OptiBoard Novice

That sounds great! I personally work with alot of infants and young children. I can tell you what NOT to get....The Mickey 53 by Marchon. Marchon has alot of very good childrens frames and that particular frame was a biggie for us due to the small eye sizes. One problem though....they are in backorder land. We have three purple frames left with no others in sight and some that have been on backorder for months. We have found a few very small sizes (38,40,43,45) by Logo (Tanns) and a few Stride Right frames.
    Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Merlin (edited 03-25-2001).]

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Hi,

I wish you success on your new venture. Our office carries the Clear Vision frames and Marchon auto-flex for children. The Clear Vision line has Fisher Price, Ocean Pacific ( for the larger children)and Save the Children lines. We have had great success with the frames and have not had a problem with back orders.

Clear Vision has an arrangement with a local lab that manufactures the kids eyewear - complete with polycarb lenses for a reduced rate which includes the frame. This program saves me from deleting my stock on the frame boards.

Hope this helps.

Dale

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We carry all of the same lines as Dale with the addition of Safilo and Flexon kids. The Safilo and Fisher-Price are our biggest sellers.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Pedseye, Check with your Logo rep, both of their kid's lines are great! the Tann's and the osk tosh lines. Tommy Hilfiger, Safilo, and Flexon's are nice also! Always, our best! Al.

Rising Star

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone!

You guys are great! When I went to SECO, I knew I wanted to carry Clearvision, but just wasn't sure of the rest. It's nice to hear you guys like Clearvision for kids too. Have any of you read about the new Sesame Street line? Also, keep the replies coming, it sure helps! Thanks a million! :)
    So you guys think we will have a good niche with the kids lines? Do you think an average of 13 crx's a day will be good? That's just for kids, he will also be seeing adults which will add to that, as well as an O.D. 1 day a week. I thought it would be a good response.

Rising Star

Sorry guys, left out one other question....
    How do you guys do with Rec Specs? It's been wishy washy for me in the past. Have the products gotten any better and have they sold better in the last few years? Thanks for your help and don't forget, if you know about Sesame Street, I would like feed back on it. Thanks everyone!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do extremely well with rec-specs. I coach Pop Warner Football, so most of the sports coaches know me and have their kids come here.

My number one Kid's line by far: Pups by Kenmark.

Interesting to note: 10 years ago, I put Mickey frames in my stores in DC (Fisher Price and Tanns were my biggest Kid's lines).
    I couldn't give them away...too over prices.
    So six months ago, I put them in the store here thinking, hey-Florida, these should sell......still can't give them away and sent them all back to Marchon.

Rising Star
    Thanks Eyeman,
    Great reply! I am very fortunate my Kenmark rep lives here in my town. He will be one street over from our new office. Also, I have used this same rep for 8 years! I had heard from someone else good things about the Hush Puppy line. Thanks for your reply.

Austrailian Optical has some very nice kids frames in small eye sizes with nice colors.

Rising Star

Thanks PBS, do you have a contact number for them?

Osh Kosh by Logo has some of the best designs I have seen, and great warranties.

The BEST little girls frames made right now are by Nine West (Safilo) - check out the NW 101 in pink pink (yes, it is necessary for 2 colors). I have turned it 7 times in 4 months, and I just opened my practice 9 months ago. Very cool kids frame.

Rising Star

Thanks UtahOD !!
    I just saw an ad for Nine West and was wondering how they were, guess you answered that!

Keep the suggestions coming, they are very much welcomed!

If you like warranties, Osh-Kosh is great. Additionally, if you act VERY VERY FAST, Logo is having an incredible offer - buy 100 frames (can be all Osh-Kosh if you want) and get 30% off AND a $500 AmerEx gift check to you. I did not do it, but was sorely tempted. I have never tried their Tann's line, but it looks good.

Rising Star

UtahOD,

How many styles of OSH KOSH do they have? I have used LOGO before, but I am not "up" on all of their lines. Are there any other lines they carry that you do well with?

Osh Kosh has quite a few kids styles - even some fun kids sunglasses (non-Rxable). They also have a Tann's line for kids and pre-teen, so between the 2 they probably have at least 30 kids styles. Other lines are Givenchy (pricy for women, but ALL are 1/2 off since they lost the license and are blowing them out the door), Lanvin, Elite (for young women, even early and pre-teen), etc. I do not want to sound like a Logo commercial, since for the most part, I had a bad initial encounter with Logo. I like their warranties, but the overall selection of frames is a little on the fashion extremes.

Rising Star

Thanks UtahOD,

When I used Logo a few years back, I only used them for OshKosh and did not care to much for the rest of their lines not their rep at the time. We share the same feelings about Logo. It's funny, even though I have been out of the loop for 2 years, not much has changed.

Rising Star

Optiboarders,

Here is what I have narrowed my selection to...

5 Main vendors:
    1) Clearvision
    2) Kenmark
    3) Marchon
    4) Safilo
    Now, for your help....
    "Fillers" to be able to have a large enough variety for fitting infants to 12 years old which I will be purchasing a select few:
    ie: OshKosh, Looney Tunes, etc.
    What would you suggest?

[This message has been edited by pedseye (edited 04-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pedseye (edited 04-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by pedseye (edited 04-27-2001).]

Rising Star

Just to let you guys know, our target date to open is June 11th. I can't believe it's almost here! I'm siked, but kinda nervous.

Thread Information