Thread: Astigmatism or worse problem??

OptiBoard Novice

Astigmatism or worse problem??

I have had glasses or contacts for over 30 years. And just got a new prescription, which wasn't much off the old one. And I started having major problems with the contacts. The eye dr says dry eyes, so tried ProClear and Freq55, still same problem. So I decided to buy NEW glasses (last pair was several prescriptions old), just picked them up and while I can see a little better, I can't see distance.

For 10 years I had glasses that were grounded for astigmatism. Then new dr, first says I don't have it, then says it's so slight we don't need to worry with it (I think that is when my problems started).

My prescription for contacts is -4.5 and -4.00, glasses -4.25 & -4.5. I am certain there is no numbers for stigmatism, I don't even know if they check for it (Walmart Vision Center).

So here I about have given up on contacts, only to find I am not getting much better vision with the glasses. Mostly signs and lettering in a distance (well, not even much of a distance), it's not quite double vision, but like the "tracking" is off, ghost images. Is this caused by the stigmatism or am I looking at a more serious situation.

THANKS......Laura

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wnlbutterfly
    I have had glasses or contacts for over 30 years. And just got a new prescription, which wasn't much off the old one. And I started having major problems with the contacts. The eye dr says dry eyes, so tried ProClear and Freq55, still same problem. So I decided to buy NEW glasses (last pair was several prescriptions old), just picked them up and while I can see a little better, I can't see distance.

For 10 years I had glasses that were grounded for astigmatism. Then new dr, first says I don't have it, then says it's so slight we don't need to worry with it (I think that is when my problems started).

My prescription for contacts is -4.5 and -4.00, glasses -4.25 & -4.5. I am certain there is no numbers for stigmatism, I don't even know if they check for it (Walmart Vision Center).

So here I about have given up on contacts, only to find I am not getting much better vision with the glasses. Mostly signs and lettering in a distance (well, not even much of a distance), it's not quite double vision, but like the "tracking" is off, ghost images. Is this caused by the stigmatism or am I looking at a more serious situation.

THANKS......Laura
    Are you sure about those prescription details, because normally the contact
    lens prescription is less than the spectacle one, if your information is correct
    you need to see your prescriber urgently, also even small amounts of astigmatism left uncorrected, can cause the symptoms you describe.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Your right, contacts are -4.00 & -4.25, and glasses -4.5 & -4.25 (I remember because they first ordered my contacts with the glasses # and had to send one box back.

So why are "they" (at least two of my eye doctors) so adament that with a "slight" astigmatism I didn't need it corrected. Even with the new contacts (when they weren't blurry from the dry eyes) I had that ghosting effect.

I tried to see the eye Doc today but they must have taken a vacation day. So I will have to wait another couple days. I am worried that even IF he agrees that it needs to be adjusted, that Walmart Vision Center won't remake the lenses as they did make it to the DR's prescription.

Thanks for the info. I just want to know that I am not crazy. AND also that it's not some eye disease that is making this happen. Also starting to get a headache after wearing the glasses for about 6 hrs. But I figure that is normal from my eyes trying to adjust to this.

Laura

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wnlbutterfly
    Your right, contacts are -4.00 & -4.25, and glasses -4.5 & -4.25 (I remember because they first ordered my contacts with the glasses # and had to send one box back.

So why are "they" (at least two of my eye doctors) so adament that with a "slight" astigmatism I didn't need it corrected. Even with the new contacts (when they weren't blurry from the dry eyes) I had that ghosting effect.

I tried to see the eye Doc today but they must have taken a vacation day. So I will have to wait another couple days. I am worried that even IF he agrees that it needs to be adjusted, that Walmart Vision Center won't remake the lenses as they did make it to the DR's prescription.

Thanks for the info. I just want to know that I am not crazy. AND also that it's not some eye disease that is making this happen. Also starting to get a headache after wearing the glasses for about 6 hrs. But I figure that is normal from my eyes trying to adjust to this.

Laura
    Laura, did your doctor say anything about your near vision, as depending on your age, this may also cause headaches.Doctors are wary of prescribing cylinders (astigmatic correction)to contact lens wearers, as this can sometimes induce more distortion and make it more difficult for you to adjust.
    Although you have had it before. It is also important your glasses are correctly made up and are angled correctly on your face as well as being correctly centered ( you should be looking through the optical center of the lens ).
    It may be worth having the glasses checked for the things i have mentioned,at a different opticians, at least you will know the glasses are made ok before you go to your doctor.

As for contact lenses, I fit many ladies with dry eyes with night & day lenses
    they are far superior to the proclear and freq 55s, they allow far more oxygen to the eye and dry up far less. Night and day can be sold as an overnight wear lens, but in your case i would reccomend you take them out at night if you decide to try them . If you are still keen on lenses it is worth trying them.

good luck
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some patients with "negligable astigmatism" are quite sensitive to the lack of same. This can easily be determined (although probably not at Wal-Mart) by holding up trial (spectacle) lenses up over the contact lens and see if noticeable improvement is preceived. Other patients with more astigmatism than you would think would be tolerable are quite fine without correction for same. This is why responsable contact lens fitters check this stuff out and do follow ups at one or two weeks to see how the patient sees and feels as well as how the eye is reacting to the fit.

Don't try to get by "on the cheap" see a reputable contact lens fitter.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    I don't know how "negligable" my astigmatism would be as I honestly don't even know if they check for it. But I can tell you that even the last pair of glasses I had (that I know wasn't ground for it), I ALWAYS had problems with. You get that depth perception problem (like being drunk, or walking on a ship that moves). I had one Dr tell me that contacts correct the stigmatism differently than contacts. So I could see with the contacts, but then when I would wear my glasses I would have that queasy feeling going on. And I wore them everyday (first thing in the AM, then wear contacts, then glasses in the PM) for 3 years and it never got better.

My biggest concern that if I am stuck NOT being able to wear contacts due to dry eyes, that I need to at least be able to READ road signs, and right now with the ghosting, that is iffy.

I have considered checking into the Paragon CRT (I know....costly). BUT I will ask for the N&D and get a trial pair. Also get the lenses checked, I have had that happen before, the focal point not being in the right place.

BTW, Two other eye Dr's in town did the same thing, both with their own practice (not Wally World) when I started having these issues (I had one pair of glasses for 10 years before), and the first one that just "dropped" the correction for astigmatism, I wasn't getting contacts at all. BUT I was on a medical card at that time (state funded) and he just seemed to want to get me in and get me out. (that was 8 yrs ago, never went back).

I had good days and bad days with contacts before (Optima), but we just moved and this new house has ceiling fans through out, wondering if that is egging on the dry eyes.

THANKS AGAIN.....Laura
    Last edited by wnlbutterfly; 08-10-2004 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laura: There is no reason why CRT lenses could be worn during sleep by a person with a "dry eye" if you truly have one.

Bad address email on file

Crier

When I left contacts behind, I was wearing gas perms (hard breathable contacts). For several weeks my eyes continued to change as they reshaped from the contacts. Astigmatism grew as well and I could not use glasses comfortably for a couple months. If you intend to stay with glasses, I'd leave the contacts out and get rechecked after about 6 weeks. You should eventually have good eyesight with glasses.

As a foot note, I wore contacts for many years. The symptoms you discussed
    are part of the process. Sorry :0)
    shutterbug

Thread Information