looking for the ultimate leap pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for the ultimate leap pad

we were using 3m leap II pads and they switched to the leap III... we are not very happy with the new pads and are looking for a replacement pad... any recomendations?

Loh

Comment

Inland makes a great leap pad and I believe are cheaper also

Rich R

Comment

I second the inland recommendation. I have never had a problem with them and they cost significantly less.
        "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Comment

We use Inland aswell. We stops using the LeapIII's for a number of reasons. They basically weren't user friendly. The only probs I've had with the inlands is that they sometimes seem to adhere too well. A little warm water and no probs but you feel kind of dumb after you realise that you have tried to remove a chuck off of a small lense for the last couple minutes and you just can't do it.

Comment

hi General Optics is the best options

Seba

Comment

Which Inland pad do people recommend?

Originally posted by Jubilee View Post
              I second the inland recommendation. I have never had a problem with them and they cost significantly less.
              I see this thread is slightly dusty, but I figure if people are still using these leap pads then they have stood the test of time.
              So if you are still using Inland pads, which type do you recommend?

We are currently using 3M Leap III and have no problems with it - just wondering if a cheaper pad will perform as well.

From the things I have read I was thinking of trying Ultra White, since it says it releases a little easier, and I have seen posts saying they have trouble removing the block with the Inland pads. Most of our slippery-AR lenses now have good water-based coatings to prevent slipping when edging, so they rarely cause trouble.

And if you have stopped using these pads I'd love to hear what other options are recommended.

Thanks!
              Last edited by Global_Optical; 12-03-2019, 11:30 AM. Reason: noted we are currently using Leap III

Comment

Zombie thread!

We're using Big Red from Dynamic labs and it's the best leap pad I've ever used.
                I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Originally posted by AngeHamm View Post
                  Zombie thread!

We're using Big Red from Dynamic labs and it's the best leap pad I've ever used.
                  +1

Comment

Here at Santinelli, we are always looking for pads that consistent and hold super-hydrophobic coated lenses. We have tested many of the ‘specially formulated’ adhesives pads and discovered nothing beats the 3m LEAP III when used with the Nidek Patch Seal Film made in Japan. Apparently, the adhesive chemistry on the film AND the increased surface area of the larger patch does the trick. Remember, no lens pad made today can hold the lens if the rubber lens chuck is hardened due to age or, the roughing wheel as reached end of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Santinelli View Post
                      Here at Santinelli, we are always looking for pads that consistent and hold super-hydrophobic coated lenses. We have tested many of the ‘specially formulated’ adhesives pads and discovered nothing beats the 3m LEAP III when used with the Nidek Patch Seal Film made in Japan. Apparently, the adhesive chemistry on the film AND the increased surface area of the larger patch does the trick. Remember, no lens pad made today can hold the lens if the rubber lens chuck is hardened due to age or, the roughing wheel as reached end of life.
                      With the Big Red pad you only use the pad, no other film is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by CME4SPECS View Post
                        With the Big Red pad you only use the pad, no other film is needed.
                        Ironically, I'm using Big Red pads with a Santinelli edger.
                        I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Same here

Comment

Several years ago we began offering a comparable pad to Big Red. It has the anti-slip layer on top of the bi-adhesive pad. However, as lens materials and coatings evolved, our customers reported combining the ‘standard’ LEAP III with a Nidek, or 3m anti-slip disk resulted in reduced slippage on super-hydrophobic lenses over the ‘specially formulated for AR’ pad. We attribute this to the larger 22 X 37mm (vs 17 X 30mm) pad with more AR adhesive on the surface. In addition to the front, we also recommend a second anti-slip disk on the rear surface as to further minimize the chance of slippage for high-end lenses.
                            Last edited by Stephen Santinelli; 12-06-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Santinelli View Post

Several years ago we began offering a comparable pad to Big Red. It has the anti-slip layer on top of the bi-adhesive pad. However, as lens materials and coatings evolved, our customers reported combining the ‘standard’ LEAP III with a Nidek, or 3m anti-slip disk resulted in reduced slippage on super-hydrophobic lenses over the ‘specially formulated for AR’ pad. We attribute this to the larger 22 X 37mm (vs 17 X 30mm) pad with more AR adhesive on the surface. In addition to the front, we also recommend a second anti-slip disk on the rear surface as to further minimize the chance of slippage for high-end lenses.
                              Second pad is a good idea. I have an old AIT with a felt chuck and I always put a pad on the front and the back

Comment

Working...
                              X