Thread: looking for the ultimate leap pad

Bad address email on file

looking for the ultimate leap pad

we were using 3m leap II pads and they switched to the leap III... we are not very happy with the new pads and are looking for a replacement pad... any recomendations?

Loh

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Inland makes a great leap pad and I believe are cheaper also

Rich R

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I second the inland recommendation. I have never had a problem with them and they cost significantly less.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We use Inland aswell. We stops using the LeapIII's for a number of reasons. They basically weren't user friendly. The only probs I've had with the inlands is that they sometimes seem to adhere too well. A little warm water and no probs but you feel kind of dumb after you realise that you have tried to remove a chuck off of a small lense for the last couple minutes and you just can't do it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    hi General Optics is the best options

Seba

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Which Inland pad do people recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    I second the inland recommendation. I have never had a problem with them and they cost significantly less.
    I see this thread is slightly dusty, but I figure if people are still using these leap pads then they have stood the test of time.
    So if you are still using Inland pads, which type do you recommend?

We are currently using 3M Leap III and have no problems with it - just wondering if a cheaper pad will perform as well.

From the things I have read I was thinking of trying Ultra White, since it says it releases a little easier, and I have seen posts saying they have trouble removing the block with the Inland pads. Most of our slippery-AR lenses now have good water-based coatings to prevent slipping when edging, so they rarely cause trouble.

And if you have stopped using these pads I'd love to hear what other options are recommended.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Global_Optical; 12-03-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: noted we are currently using Leap III

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Zombie thread!

We're using Big Red from Dynamic labs and it's the best leap pad I've ever used.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Zombie thread!

We're using Big Red from Dynamic labs and it's the best leap pad I've ever used.
    +1

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Here at Santinelli, we are always looking for pads that consistent and hold super-hydrophobic coated lenses. We have tested many of the ‘specially formulated’ adhesives pads and discovered nothing beats the 3m LEAP III when used with the Nidek Patch Seal Film made in Japan. Apparently, the adhesive chemistry on the film AND the increased surface area of the larger patch does the trick. Remember, no lens pad made today can hold the lens if the rubber lens chuck is hardened due to age or, the roughing wheel as reached end of life.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Santinelli View Post
    Here at Santinelli, we are always looking for pads that consistent and hold super-hydrophobic coated lenses. We have tested many of the ‘specially formulated’ adhesives pads and discovered nothing beats the 3m LEAP III when used with the Nidek Patch Seal Film made in Japan. Apparently, the adhesive chemistry on the film AND the increased surface area of the larger patch does the trick. Remember, no lens pad made today can hold the lens if the rubber lens chuck is hardened due to age or, the roughing wheel as reached end of life.
    With the Big Red pad you only use the pad, no other film is needed.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    With the Big Red pad you only use the pad, no other film is needed.
    Ironically, I'm using Big Red pads with a Santinelli edger.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same here

Occupation

Several years ago we began offering a comparable pad to Big Red. It has the anti-slip layer on top of the bi-adhesive pad. However, as lens materials and coatings evolved, our customers reported combining the ‘standard’ LEAP III with a Nidek, or 3m anti-slip disk resulted in reduced slippage on super-hydrophobic lenses over the ‘specially formulated for AR’ pad. We attribute this to the larger 22 X 37mm (vs 17 X 30mm) pad with more AR adhesive on the surface. In addition to the front, we also recommend a second anti-slip disk on the rear surface as to further minimize the chance of slippage for high-end lenses.
    Last edited by Stephen Santinelli; 12-06-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Santinelli View Post

Several years ago we began offering a comparable pad to Big Red. It has the anti-slip layer on top of the bi-adhesive pad. However, as lens materials and coatings evolved, our customers reported combining the ‘standard’ LEAP III with a Nidek, or 3m anti-slip disk resulted in reduced slippage on super-hydrophobic lenses over the ‘specially formulated for AR’ pad. We attribute this to the larger 22 X 37mm (vs 17 X 30mm) pad with more AR adhesive on the surface. In addition to the front, we also recommend a second anti-slip disk on the rear surface as to further minimize the chance of slippage for high-end lenses.
    Second pad is a good idea. I have an old AIT with a felt chuck and I always put a pad on the front and the back

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    So. We are scheduled to receive Quantum’s PadLock next week. This table top system is designed to negate every discussion on the “ultimate” pad. Early reviews are very positive. We will be thoroughly testing this, and will update all on its efficacy.
    Ipf it lives up to the hype, COGs on leap pads will go down.
    Stay tuned.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

Thread Information