Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kerry In Vietnam

Question Kerry In Vietnam

Was anyone in Vietnam here? Was it common to shoot home movies with you as the war hero? Or was Kerry really planning his future political image?

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc8.htm

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    mrba, I spent '68 as a Navy Corpsman with a Seabee battalion in DaNang...home movie cameras were quite rare, and a lot of where I worked, photos weren't allowed..

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger
    mrba, I spent '68 as a Navy Corpsman with a Seabee battalion in DaNang...home movie cameras were quite rare, and a lot of where I worked, photos weren't allowed..
    Very interseting.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    Was anyone in Vietnam here? Was it common to shoot home movies with you as the war hero? Or was Kerry really planning his future political image?

http://www.drudgereport.com/dnc8.htm
    More drudge. Move on.

I think that article has the potential to say a lot about Kerry. I just don't want to jump to conclutions... hence the question.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    More drudge. Move on.
    I have to agree, Optiboard should not be used to post recaps of whats on other websites. I don't care what kind of website it is either. If the topic is relevant, find another source that is reporting the story. Don't just post a daily update.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi
    I have to agree, Optiboard should not be used to post recaps of whats on other websites. I don't care what kind of website it is either. If the topic is relevant, find another source that is reporting the story. Don't just post a daily update.
    I don't understand... You are off topic. The link was a reference. If JK made a home movie of himself on purpose, it shows he had plans long ago and is very driven. If that is the case, was making a movie re enactment while he was on duty a very good idea? If it is not the case that he was thinking towards his future, then lets hear that side.

With 9 million hits/day Matt Drudge doesn't need my help.;) I suppose my next link will be from moveon.org!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Honestly, I take these kinds of books with a lot of skepticism. Similar books in this vein alleged:

- The Reagan domestic and foriegn policy was largely guided by Nancy Reagan's Astrologer.

- President Bush (Senior) was an active member of the Trilateral Commission who's sole purpose was to impose a one world government largely dominated by corporations.

- The Clintons had Vince Foster killed and in fact racked up a body count of 50+ murders in their devious efforts to cover up their crimes.

A quick Google search shows that the author of this book is a long-time Kerry foe who apparently has a hatred of Kerry because he supposedly said that some American soldiers committed atrocities in Vietnam. (Anyone remember My Lai?)

Frankly it looks like another attempt to discredit Kerry's military record. I certainly understand how much discomfort Republicans must feel over Kerry's military service. After all it can't be easy to live with the fact that Kerry chose to put himself in harm's way to help defend his country while Bush chose to use his father's influence to get into the National Guard and avoid fighting for his country. This is a tough record to live with for someone claiming to be a strong defender.

There is no getting around this simple fact. Bush could have chosen to fight, but didn't. Clearly other things were more important to him at the time, as they were to others, including myself.

By the way, if these military records were reversed what you do think the Republicans would be saying about Kerry? Be honest now!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Didn't Kerry throw his medals after his service? I for one do not have a problem with him being anti military after having served. That makes sense to me. I think though that it does leave the door open for those that are pro military to not like him and attack, despite his service. According to Zell Miller tonight on TV, Kerry voted against every weapon system that was built in the cold war till now.

His service is one resume heading, and his anti war activism is another. In my mind the two need not be directly related, however in many people's minds one trumps another.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I think though that it does leave the door open for those that are pro military to not like him and attack, despite his service.
    His service is one resume heading, and his anti war activism is another. In my mind the two need not be directly related, however in many people's minds one trumps another.
    Yeah, well, lots of unfortuante things happen in "many people's minds."

There are those who are "pro-military", who also have the sense to understand the Bush foreign policy for the catastrophe it has been:

http://www.diplomatsforchange.com/si...natories.shtml

along with a few other military luminaries such as Generals Zinni and Shalikashvili.

p.s.

Not to mention Wes Clark (another former Republican).
    Last edited by shanbaum; 07-29-2004 at 09:57 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Future "Commander in Chief" ?

Last night I was in the office doing scut and making artificial eyes. The "Jim Bohannan Show" was covering the Democratic Convention with call-ins. They had on the line the president of the Swift Boat association (and yes they have a web site). The man, I think his name was O'Bannon was on, he apparently was on the swift boat with Kerry for his entire tour. He asserts:

One of Kerry's purple hearts was from a piece of shrapnel that literally required a band-aid. The doctor refused to put him in for a purple heart, his immediate superior refused same, he went up two levels to someone he could get to do same.

Next purple heart was for two grains of rice that became embedded in his behind when he threw a grenade into a Vietnamese boat full of rice to destroy the boat and turned his back for the explosion. Treatment: Two band-aids.

Third purple heart: Kerry claims to be wounded when a mine exploded. No mine ever exploded near his vote.

Kerry claims to have admitted atrocities: No member of the swift boat (not just Kerry's boat) even knows anyone who heard of any swift boat personnel ever having committed such acts. Jim Bohannan who was in the north of Vietnam in the infantry never heard of anyone other than Lt. Calley doing same. If Kerry had knowledge of same, as an Officer he was guilty of dereliction of duty for not reporting and prosecuting same.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Jim Bohannan who was in the north of Vietnam in the infantry never heard of anyone other than Lt. Calley doing same. If Kerry had knowledge of same, as an Officer he was guilty of dereliction of duty for not reporting and prosecuting same.
    Wow. So, you say the guy was actually there, huh? And never heard of any atrocities besides My Lai?

Well, that does it for me.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry Chip, atrocities went on all the time.........

the only reason you can name Lt Calley is due to a photographer named Haberle (sp?). I doubt that you would find the men he served with on the Swift boats in a photo (appearing in todays papers) if the Kerry was the phony the RNC claims. hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    O'Bannon on Bohannon? sounds like a phoney phone call to me!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It amazes me that the right continually stretch facts and brings up these piddly "character issues" when the guy they voted in has been convicted for DRUNK DRIVING and when asked if he ever used coccaine responded (I paraphrase) "I don't want to dwell on the past, I want to look to the future", which is a big YES, IMHO.

Stop with the double standards, already!

Occupation
    I also notice that my question is being avoided:

By the way, if these military records were reversed what you do think the Republicans would be saying about Kerry? Be honest now!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was it common to shoot home movies with you as the war hero? Or was Kerry really planning his future political image?
    Nope, wasn't there. However, the Vietnam war was the first war to be televised, brought into our homes on the nightly news, so cameras were there in lots of places. It runs in my mind that we began to see a reporter named Dan Rather pretty regularly.

My husband has more than a handful of medals to show for his service and I don't believe for a minute that they were awarded on a whim or from outside pressure, including personal friendships with a couple of 3 stars.

The overriding fact remains that Senator Kerry went, when other "sunshine" patriots did not. I also remember that President Kennedy's war record was called into question during his campaign also, that the destruction of PT-109 was due to his incompetence in shiphandling.

I reason I asked about the camers, is because I have see documentaries with 8mm. So I wasn't sure if that was normal, and Kerry's thing was beinf blown out of proportion.

Occupation
    The Bush/Cheney campaign cannot stomach the fact that JK volunteered for and served in combat. There's talk and there's actions. When given the chance to serve their country, these people reacted in different ways. The rest is spin.

Occupation
    I suppose someone will now try to claim that the 8mm video of Kerry and his Mother was also done for future 'political' aspirations.

I also notice that mrba and other Bush supporters are still avoiding my question. Can't say I blame them though. What could they say that wouldn't highlight a double-standard in their values? ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Steve, I frankly don't feel like whatever Bush or Kerry did 40 years ago matters in whether they would be capable of being Commander in Chief of the most major military force in the world...

Occupation
    Well, that's cdertainly a safe answer given the facts. However would you really believe the same thing if the military records were reversed? If so, then you are indeed a rarity. I suspect most Republicans would be trumpeting Bush's medals and service and calling Kerry a draft-dodger and worse. And I think you know that's true too.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

I also notice that mrba and other Bush supporters
    1. I didn't realize the question was directed soley at me.
    2. I am not a Bush supporter, nor am I a registered republican.
    3. I am very busy running my lab, and if in my free time I feel I have something to contribute to your question I will do so. It's not my fault my customers are busy.
    4. Most Bush supporters no longer see it agreeable to post here.

Thats a cream puff question... Texas answered best

Steve, I frankly don't feel like whatever Bush or Kerry did 40 years ago matters in whether they would be capable of being Commander in Chief of the most major military force in the world...
    I think that if the record were reversed the reactions would be reversed irregardless of party. How is that a double standard?

I think that military service should not be a big prerequisite to CEO. MBA on the other hand could be helpful... Anti war activist? Too emotional for the big chair.

Occupation
    3. I am very busy running my lab, and if in my free time I feel I have something to contribute to your question I will do so. It's not my fault my customers are busy.
    Yet you still somehow find the time to post one anti-Kerry message after another. In fact you are probably the most prolific poster on OptiBoard over that past couple of months. Yoiu can come up with a better excuse I'm sure. ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information