Thread: mid- and hi- index lenses

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

mid- and hi- index lenses

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a sense of which mid and high index FSV lenses people are dispensing and why. What is it you love or hate about any particular lens from a material, coating or design standpoint.

Thanks,
    Matt

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do my own edging so I order stock lenses. For my readers or hyperopic jobs I use the Osa Lite 1.56 HC. The reason for this is that I have not been satisfied with any regular plastic lenses for those jobs due to the thickness. For a pair of +2.00's I really do not want to spend the money to surface the lenses. The lens is very thin and light, and it even works great on sem-rimlesses. It cost about $1 more than regular plastic.

For my higher RX's I uses Essilor's Airwear Aspheric with Crizal or D Alize, Essilor's Thin and Light 1.6 and 1.67 with Crizal or D Alize. I have been using the 1.6 more over the Airwear lately, because in stock form it is less expensive.

Occupation
    mid index are ok for low plus powers but they are no good for rimless designs;
    airwear, stylis 1.67 as and fusio 1.74 as are what i use for my high index lenses
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    mid index are ok for low plus powers but they are no good for rimless designs;
    airwear, stylis 1.67 as and fusio 1.74 as are what i use for my high index lenses
    Yes, I use them for semi-rimless, not complete rimless.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't use any mid-index material, unless it's the thinnest available. I feel like it's not a good value for me or the patient. I use poly extensively - biggest bang for the buck. I don't use 1.6 - poly is virtually as thin, lighter weight, and less expensive. My choice for high index is 1.67. I used to use Hoya 1.71/1.70, but found that it has a yellowish color to it, and when you check the powers in the Lensometer, the sphere and cylinder lines are not as sharp as I would like them to be.

Thread Information