Thread: eye protection from sun and salt water?

OptiBoard Novice

Wave eye protection from sun and salt water?

Hi I hope this is the right forum for this. Every time I go to the beach the salt water and sunlight make my eyes really red. The redness lasts all day even if I use eye drops. Since I'm going on vacation this summer to the beach I was wondering if there is anything I can use, besides sunglasses of course to prevent my eyes from becoming so red and/or to get the redness out after the fact. Thanks in advance!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are wearing sunscreen, It is probably the sunsreen that is causing your eyes to burn. I recently returned from Hawaii and I went on a snorkling excursion and the guides told everyone to wipe the sunscreen from our faces before we got in the water, because it will cause burning of the eyes. We had experience the burning while in the water the day before, we too thought it was the water.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree. Sunscreen and perspiration and eyes are a bad combination. I might also suggest that you have a good pair of sunglasses, 100% uv absorptive at the least, polarized at best and either a visor or a hat for added comfort in bright sunlight. Living in Puerto Rico for 3 years gave me a real appreciation for visors and hats...the sunglasses were a no-brainer. When you get back inside, try using a cool cloth across your eyes for a few minutes. I'm not a big fan of drops to get the red out!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I've seen lately, it's not the eye that needs protection from salt water, its the lenses of some sunglasses. Can't understand why someone would make sunglass lenses that can't take salt (some even fresh) water.

OptiBoard Novice

but don't i have to put sunscreen on my face?

should i just avoid putting it on my eyes or my entire face? i thought sunscreen on face and eyelids was a good thing. confused now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ladydusk, The sunscreen is good for blocking the sun it just runs into your eyes when it gets wet! That's what burns.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Benzophenone ................................

Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS

Ladydusk, The sunscreen is good for blocking the sun it just runs into your eyes when it gets wet! That's what burns.
    As one of the first manufacturers of optical UV dyes (1983) I have some basic knowdlege on the problem.

Sunscreen lotions are made with with the same chemicals as are the UV solutions you treat optical lenses with. The chemical is called "Benzophenone".

MSDS sheets on this product say that it can have irritating effects on nose and eye membranes. So that could be one cause of irritation occuring at the beach.

However at the beach as elsewhere you also have full UV damaging effects when being hit by full UV radiation at 324nm without perfectly G O O D sunglasses absorbing UV radiation at least 100% between 270nm and 360nm.
    Many sunglasses with tags stating full UV absorbtion actually do NOT stand up to test's in a spetrometer and the tags are misleading.

Dont forget that skin can burn in a few minutes without protection and sensitive eye membranes can act up even faster.

OptiBoard Novice

Idea ok I'm making a plan here

Ok so I'm thinking apply sunscreen but not on forehead or close to eyes. Wear sunglasses as much as possible and if my eyes get red apply a cold cloth across them after leaving the beach. Have I got it? Anything else I can do?
    :cheers:

PS care to recommend a sunscreen anyone?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Invest in a pair of good swim goggles. That will keep the salt water out.See your eye care professional and get a good set. There are seveal good products on the market. One of our members has a company that handles them.His website is here: http://www.sportoptix.com (Search for user Walt and you can contact him directly and be directed to a dealer in your area). Hilco also makes a fine product, and there are many more. Good luck from Cape Cod
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Novice

fantastic idea hcjilson

thats a great idea and just what I need. goggles and shades will do the trick! Thanx.

Thread Information