Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Girlie Men" Spank Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    Hmmm.... I don't recall Kerry using any profane language in public..... can you enlighten me?
    I was referring to the Rolling Stone interview... Quite possibly where the term "F Bomb" originated. At least that was the first time I ever heard it called that in the press... He said F a lot among other words. Reminicent of George Carlin...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jana:

Trust me he did and was widely quoted, saying virtually the same thing or at least the same words as Cheney. And no, you don't really want me to quote this here.

Chip

In each of their defense, regardless of their public posture most men will launch into the vernacular when highly provoked. As to plain language, it sometimes is more appropriate. Teddy Roosevelt once told Kaiser Wilhelm: "Army, Hell! Bring um on, we'll whip them before breakfast."

No one attacked the U.S. while Teddy was president. Everyone knew exactly what would happen.

Steve:

I don't think Arnold has anything against women (at least from is reported misconduct at parties, he seems to like them. Which may be unusual as most body builders are either in love with themselves or their own gender). He just doesn't appreciate feminine characteristics in men. He probably doesn't appreciate masculine characteristics in women either.

Chip

Which may be unusual as most body builders are either in love with themselves or their own gender).
    Chip,
    I had to lauph. An old timer once told me that. I am not a body builder per se, but I lift weights to stay in shape. It would be my take that young men my generation, may very well be into themselves, but I would guess most at the gym are not into their own Gender!!!:D :bbg: :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by walt
    “If they don’t have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, ’I don’t want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers ... if they don’t have the guts, I call them girlie men,” :p Schwarzenegger said to the cheering crowd at a mall food court in Ontario.

Maybe Arnie should have said "girlie persons"?
    Arnie is equating lack of guts with femininity. I wonder if he would get agreement from those butchie-women Libby Dole, Christie Whitman, Condalisa Rice, and Margaret Thatcher, who obviously have man-type guts.

OptiWizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Arnie is equating lack of guts with femininity. I wonder if he would get agreement from those butchie-women Libby Dole, Christie Whitman, Condalisa Rice, and Margaret Thatcher, who obviously have man-type guts.
    Great question. Lets ask Janet Reno, author of the best-selling "Ruby Ridge" and "Waco" how it would handle this situation.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

another county heard from

For what it's worth, the use of a term like "girlie-man" is demeaning, albeit in a very subtle way, to women. Take this test: would you rather your son be a sissy or your daugther be a tom boy. The answer is obvious. Why are female traits so undesireable in a boy, yet male traits are "cute" in a girl? What does this say about what we value? Just food for thought.

And as to Chip's comment:

"Teddy Roosevelt once told Kaiser Wilhelm: "Army, Hell! Bring um on, we'll whip them before breakfast."

No one attacked the U.S. while Teddy was president. Everyone knew exactly what would happen.'

Obviously there's a biiiiigggg difference between a very distinguished warrior and the current "girlie-man" in the White House. (Hey, I think I could grow to like this!!)
    Last edited by chm2023; 07-21-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    I'll bet those ladies would take being called "butchie women" like a man (although they might prefer "women of strength")
    At the risk of sounding like I am from the wrong era-I thinks there are some things men are inherently better at and some things women are inherently better at. I think men are better at standing in the trenches and shooting at the bad guys and I think women are better at running an entire household efficiently while doing lots of things at the same time. I don't think Arnie is so much equating lack of guts with femininty as he is using a catch phrase that most of us remember and can relate to to stir things up. He is married to an awfully strong woman who still comes across as plenty feminine so I think he understands the concept.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

There is no doubt in my mind, Karen is a "good woman". And that is a compliment.

Thread Information