Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife has serious cylinder in her prescription. She also likes frames with metal at the top and string at the bottom---whatever you guys call them.

Well them suckers are prone to pop the lenses out of the frames.

Years ago, I instituted the process of making a small scratch to index the lens with the frame with a Swiss pattern file. I can get the lenses back in right when they pop out.

Comment

• Jo,
      If the pt is having trouble with their new Rx did the new bifocal power increase significantly? If so they are getting a glare off the top ledge of the bifocal. AR, light tint or glass will take care of it.

Comment

• Jo
        The two worstest of the 5 worst patient types are teachers and engineers. Opticians get gray hair from them right before their eyes and they are absolutely clueless why.

We had a contract with the LA City Unified School District. Teachers filed past us like an Army recruiting station. After they drove us nuts we learned that they are really impressed with Double D segs. That so-called upper reading requirement is actually intermediate. It's been a long time since I've dispensed them. When I see a teacher I pull the shades down and go to lunch!
        Unless things have changed there are some options for seg size, power, and distance window size (distance between segs). Remember that the upper seg is upside down and is 60% of the add unless ordered otherwise. Whoever runs a lab on this forum would know better than me about availability.

Your patient with the 3 add . . .
        As Maria says: Check for AR. When the add gets to +3.00 it's no longer an edge. It's a shelf! The add line will reflect light, will generate color from prismatic dispersion,and sore bunions! Everybody else has offered the right things on the impact of the prescription so I'll leave that alone. You might slap a rose tint on the lens. I have been known in certain circles to mask the lens and tint the line the way Univis did a thousand years ago. But, if others are watching you may be facing some time in a padded room.

Comment

• Dilbert
          You're hired.
          The depth of the groove is determined by the technician if it is done on a manual groover. It can be regrooved if the technician is not a klutz. To reduce the possibility of a klutz chipping the edge of the groove, pick up a black foam board emery board. The edge is nice and clean and once or twice around the inside of the groove substantially reduces the risk. The nylon eyewire will need to be tightened a bit.
          Start 9:00AM Monday morning.
          $7.50/hr to start as a trainee.
          Benefits in 90 days, 401K someday.
          Free pair of glasses once a year, 50% off for family!
          Call 18005551212!

Comment

• :bbg: two of the ways i use to remove the debris on a rimless lens after edging. One is to put it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Second is to use a toothbrush and go around the edge.

Comment

• Alan:

I have been known in certain circles to mask the lens and tint the line the way Univis did a thousand years ago. But, if others are watching you may be facing some time in a padded room.
              I have already been through that one with high minus lens edges. I take a lens tissue and swab the edge of the lens with some tint. Yes, most people who watch me want to lock me up in a padded room.

Comment

• Hows this sound??

With that b/f job of jo's perhaps, halfeyes?? if not i'm thinking maybe... b/f contact lenses, get her into them, if she has a lot of trouble with her distance, and still ahs a high need for the reading.

Few tips i've picked up already, for those pesky screws its easiest to just file a new "flat head" into the neft over screw. Also I liked the tip for "shrinking" a metal frame, thanks heaps!!

with those nylons and cutting them open, just get a blade and tap it against the nylon it will usually spring apart after a couple of taps (in the same place)

for those time the self locating screws ( the ones with the pin on them, that snaps of after insertion??) don't actually make the spring temples sit in the hinge properly, heres what i usually do.

1. get a small panel pin nail ( also small screw driver work) and insert this into the thread.

2. pull it out to its limit

when the temple end is pulled out like this, a small hole/gap usually appears

3. get a small unfolded staple and place it in this hole/gap

4. screw temple into hinge.

5. remove staple.

6. present to thankful customer

also that other issue of introductions.

i work in a shopping mall so browsers are common, i usually ask if they are browsing, then let them know of any specials, if they are interested i ask if they need an eye test.

too easy!!

James

Comment

• Alan W, only thing more difficult than teachers and engineers is when they're on some vision care plan that take an associate degree in accounting to explain. I have found that the F/D trifocal solves a lot of occupational problems, a very underutilized lens design.
                  Another "tip" is that when you're ordering lenses surfaced uncut for segs at the top, order the rx's eye for eye backwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry a saake
                    The purpose here is to start a thread, that if it works Steve will put in a permanent file. Steve informed me that starting a new forum was difficult with this software as once you do it you cant remove it.The purpose here is to pass along to others all the little tricks of the trade , that has anything to do with dispensing. There are quite a few old timers like myself, Al, Bob and a number of talented opticians of all ages on this board.In light of that i am going to start off with a relatively easy one dealing with the removal of a screw from a metal frame, that wont seem to come out. Quite often if you heat it slightly in a salt pan, then turn it slightly to the right , and then to the left the screw will come out. I am going to try and post at least one new tip a week, until i run out,and i challenge the rest of you to do the same and maybe we can make this a thread to remember

Dear harry and Steve:
                    I think this thread should become an independent Forum now like other Forums such as Market Place, International Optics, etc. Or if it is impossible to start a new Forum you may consolidate one of the existing (less popular) Forums with Main Discussions Forum and give a try to tips as an individual Forum. And these tips should not be limited to eyeglass dispensing issues. Tips on Contact lens fitting and dispensing will make it even more attractive.
                    Just a thought.
                    sam hamadani
                    my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Comment

• Stats

Steve:

Is this a record thread with 128 posts? I am not sure if the old boards tracked anything like that.

Comment

• I usualy add a little bit of sugar to the water.
                        Then the Franel prism sticks and stays much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by sam hamadani

Dear harry and Steve:
                          I think this thread should become an independent Forum now like other Forums such as Market Place, International Optics, etc. Or if it is impossible to start a new Forum you may consolidate one of the existing (less popular) Forums with Main Discussions Forum and give a try to tips as an individual Forum. And these tips should not be limited to eyeglass dispensing issues. Tips on Contact lens fitting and dispensing will make it even more attractive.
                          Just a thought.
                          sam hamadani

Steve & harry:
                          I think this should go to the
                          Ophthalmic Optics Forum.
                          Thanks
                          Sam hamadani
                          my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Comment

• I'm considering adding and modifying the current forum structure. One possibility is to have a sub-forums under the General Discussion forum.

Jo, yes this is the topic with the record amount of messages.

OptiBoard Administrator
                            ----
                            OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

• tips on dispensing

:) When drilling holes in glass or plastic lenses for rimless mounts, always chamfer the edges afterwards, on both sides. This will prevent future flakes, stars and breakage afterwards, as now with the edge of the hole beveled, theres no sharp edge to push again.
                              Steve, i gather from the way you are talking in the preevoius post you will handle all of this::bbg:

Comment

• [QUOTE]Originally posted by Maria
                                it makes your own working environment better.

Maria:
                                According to a study done by an American furniture company
                                "Todays customers want to be thanked first for just coming in to your store before any other kind of greeting".
                                Sam Hamadani
                                my new e-mail address is

hamadani_99@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X