This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dwlk View Post
    most of the silicone nosepads just wear down, or its like you say the oil/etc its such a small easy fix i feel like people 'forget' or skim over it :)
    Yeah that too. Also I noticed that so many of these frame manufactures are selling their frames with such awful nose pads these days. We order really nice high quality ones from hilco, and it makes a huge difference. They will come with these hard janky very slick plastic ones that'll break easily. I usually try my best to replace every pair that goes out after testing it for quality. Makes them not have to come back later with issues

Comment

Originally posted by Michael22 View Post
      Yeah that too. Also I noticed that so many of these frame manufactures are selling their frames with such awful nose pads these days. We order really nice high quality ones from hilco, and it makes a huge difference. They will come with these hard janky very slick plastic ones that'll break easily. I usually try my best to replace every pair that goes out after testing it for quality. Makes them not have to come back later with issues

the air pad with silicone ones are the best. especially with the older folk.

Comment

If you do in-house edging, for jobs involving a patient's existing frame:

Even if the existing frame is a full frame, for custom ground lenses order them with the minimum edge thickness required for a groove mount.

That way, if the patient's existing frame breaks at the last minute or they suddenly want to change frames, you know the lenses would definitely be usable for even a last minute groove or even rimless mounting.

While there would inevitably be some extra thickness across the entire lens, playing with the bevel placement can help offset this somewhat. And the overall increased center thickness most labs grind for lenses ordered with intention for grooving maybe means a slightly better chance of the lenses not breaking in your edger due to being ground too thin.

Comment

For all monocular custom ground lens orders, get in the habit of providing the binocular Rx to the lab, then remarking clearly which side you want actually produced and which side is provided just for the lab's reference + calculations.

For cases where one side is a balance lens, this of course wouldn't matter, but for replacing one side or other such a monocular ordering purposes, this ensures the single lens you order should have the appropriate base curve, prism thinning, inset, etc to match the other lens.

Comment

Transitions Xtractive (or insert your choice of extra dark photochromic with darker lens base tint here) is a godsend for post-op pseudophakic patients whose cataracts were reasonably far along before the surgery.

I find the darker lens base tint often helps them get used to suddenly having a brighter view of the world around them after years of having bilateral vision dimmed by their cataracts.

Also, you don't have to ask your lab if they can tint over an existing photochromic for that extra base darkness.

In fact, for bilateral pseudophakic patients, I tend to without prompting order their lenses with a 15% grey or brown tint if they don't want a photochromic. Grey by default, brown if they drive a lot or if they have lighter skin tones that would reveal the grey tint (since many locals regard wearing sunglasses indoors to be at best impolite or at worst, a sign of one being with the triads). Patient acceptance rate remains almost 100%.
            Last edited by AndyOptom; 05-22-2024, 09:17 AM.

Comment

anybody have any tips on how to take off adhesive off a temple besides goo off?

Comment

Originally posted by iD View Post
                anybody have any tips on how to take off adhesive off a temple besides goo off?
                soap and water?

Comment

Originally posted by GAgirl View Post
                  When dispensing to Children, ask them their favourite colour initially. Then try and find a frame in that colour for them. Try and not "talk-down" to them or baby them. I usually spend most of the frame selection time on my knee's talking directly to the child. Try and let the child choose the glasses they want - This means that the child is more likely to wear the glasses instead of having them sitting in the case the whole time and the parents have wasted $$$. Many times i have seen a mother or father demand that the child wear a frame they do not like - in 90% of these cases i highly doubt they will ever get used.

Another tip for children - Ask if its their 1st real pair of glasses. If it is, you can give them the "Golden Rules Of Glasses"

1) After the glasses are made with your special magic lenses, the ONLY head in the whole wide world they are allowed to be on is YOURS. Not Your friends. Not your Brothers / Sisters. Just you as these are made special just for you!

2) If they ever hurt you on your nose or your ears, Tell Mum/Dad and come in here and i will fix them just for you! Dont try it yourself!

3) When taking them off and on, ALWAYS use 2 hands - otherwise the sides can get bent out of shape!

4) When they are not on your face, PUT in the CASE!

5) (To the Parent) - They will get knocked out of shape or twisted most likely - Kids will be Kids. Its not the end of the world. Bring them instore and let me fix them here. Dont try a home repair!

I love these tips for kids, specifically the take-home instructions! I obviously always cautioned young contact lens wearers about "sharing" but it never occurred to me to educate my young eyeglass wearers. I do usually try to steer the parent into the direction of frame selection the child wants (as long as it fits) for the same reason you cite. They will throw them in their backpack or desk and won't get worn.
                  Literally half of this is what I say word-for-word. Fantastic advice!

Comment

Hi everyone, this is my first time on Optiboard as a member (I was on here by accident a couple years ago when looking up the term "splaying" after a tech at our lab used it in casual conversation, such a small world). This specific board is amazing and I'm so happy there's literally years of advice to absorb while going through all the pages.

One thing I've seen someone mention and I want to piggy-back on is going over the layout of progressive lenses with patients. I like to do it at the time-of-order so a patient knows what they are getting into. I also find it helps the patient feel more confident/comfortable with me as a professional in the field. I was actually able to find a notepad with an outline of a frame on it so I can draw within the lens and show them the difference between a Flat top and a progressive, or a progressive lens and an office lens, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X