Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres a tip for all you using a glass generator with pella oil. To prolong diamond life and keep the oil cleaner, attach a burlap bag to the discharge hose. Most of the glass will catch in the bag. Also makes it faster and easier to clean out the tank.

Comment

Heres a tip on the easist way to overcome the statement you hear almost every day in optical shops. Patient walks in you approach them and they reply,"i,m just looking". Undersatnd the reason there saying that is there afraid your going to push something on them right off the bat. Instead of agreeing and walking away, with the famous ,call me when you need me, simply say, do you know about our special, or our sale, or something to that effect. Invariably it will peak there interest and they will start talking to you, and now you can find out what there needs are. works almost every time

Comment

I sure would like to see some more of you out there put some tips on this thread. What say Bob Rihl, Al, Darris,

Comment

I especially like to hear different selling tips. Harry's suggestion about mentioning sales or specials is a good idea.
          The way we phrase what we say is very important. Something as simple as saying to a potential patient who just walked in (How can I help you?) verus (Can I help you?). It makes a difference. It's to easy for the patient to say no. By asking (How can I help you?) they don't have the word no as an option.
          I would like to hear more suggestions and ideas regarding selling. While we like to think of ourselves as professional opticians, we also have to be salespeople.

Comment

This thread is sooo cool!!!
            For removing tight lenses from nylon cord mountings . . .
            5 seconds in the salt pan. More or less depending on temp. A slight tug and its out.
            For lenses too loose, remove lenses, hit the salt pan 5 - 10 seconds, and let the cord air cool, maybe a little wind. It'll shrink a little.
            Don't heat the cord near the thread holes cause everything I just said goes down the pooper!
            Happy T,X, and NY to all!

Comment

Re: Frames and higher plus lenses.

Preshape the frame. Most frames are built on a 6 base curve. Then trace or make your pattern.
              If you're new at it, practice a lot.
              Lenses will stay in under normal wear better, won't pop out if you have to do radical changes in pantoscopic curve. Don't be chicken to preshape a frame along the B meridian either. The greater your effort to match frame and lens, the better the crafts-ship!
              There is no law against preshaping a frame. Ralph Lauren, Pierre, and the rest of the designers, I promise, will not sue you and you won't lose your license. Your patient will appreciate it, too.

Comment

Re selling, i personally try never to say can i help you, as surveys have shown it makes some customers feel like you think they are helpless or not smart. One phrase i commonly use is a smile, hello, is it time for some new glasses? Seems to put them at ease and they will start talking to you right away.

Comment

Re selling, i call this the magic number and i use it on patients all the time and they love it. This is also a good counter to LC,s you need a size 10, 12 etc, which we all know is hogwash. What i do is first take the patients pd. I then explain to them to try and look for frames that have the eye size and bridge size add up to thier pd. Then it is explained how having the eyes centered in the frame will make the lenses come out thinner. You then can add on to that how high index or aspheric lenses will further reduce thickness. the frame shape, round, oval vs aviator, and then tell about AR. You have now informed the patient of 4 ways they can reduce thickness. the will love you and usually reply,"nobody ever told me that before". Use the magic number, it works

Comment

As regards opening conversation, it seems that whatever you say, they will initially regard it as an attempt to sell them something. So I normally tend to open with 'Can I help you', and of course the reply, 'No, I'm just looking, thanks'. So I say 'Oh, OK', and that start talking about something else entirely (The weather, you know how we Brits love to talk about the weather, or the fuel crisis, or the taxi blockade, etc etc) Inevitably, someone else will chip in, a conversation gets going. You then get to know the customer, and they you. They end up staying for a good hour or so, normally spending quite a bit, and have had a very enjoyable experience into the bargin. Then, you get the advertisisng that money can't buy, word of mouth. Plus, it makes your own working environment better.
                    Although it does have its downside. We currently have a man who comes in at least once a day, and is going on the unofficial Christmas party. (He thinks he's on the official one). But you can't win them all.

------------------
                    Maria "no amusing quote" K

Comment

I am glad some of you addressed selling tips. Since I am in the lab most of the time I only have the opportunity to sell when we are extremely busy. Usually when it is extremely busy I don't always have the time to spend in conversation. I liked some of your ideas and will definately try them. Does anyone else have any other selling tips??
                      Steph

Comment

Selling is merely letting an informed client buy what they choose to purchase and respecting their decision. "informed" is the key word though. Best to sit down with the pt., with their new prescription, and discuss their "lenses" first, their needs, such as sunglasses, or computer lenses, to go along with their normal "everyday" glasses. discuss hobbies, avocations such as golf, etc. or even the need for "safety" glasses. at this time, they can be "informed" about lens design choices, AR coating, thinnner lens designs,etc. Then you are better able to make recommendations about frame styling that will not compromise they prescription. In greeting, old pts should be appreciated with a "glad to see you again", new pts, introduce yourself and pick up on "their" name quickly. advise them that the most important thing they are here for is their lenses and it will help greatly if we sit down together and ewvaluate their lens needs first. Al.

Comment

RE: Selling

I think location has a lot to do with the approach strategy of your clients. In a mall location you will indeed get folks "Just looking" while they are also shopping for a wardrobe, jewlery, etc. However someone driving up to your place, finding a parking spot, getting out of their car in 15 degree weather is probably not "Just looking" but rather is coming to you for a specific purpose. Therefore your approach warrants a more cordial introduction by offering immediate assistance.

Comment

Alan W, One of the reasons we went to more sophisticated edging was to be able to put a specific curved bevel on high plus or high minus power lenses. on the say +8.50 BC lenses, we'll just have the edger pu a +5.00 curve on the edge, then you don't have to contort the frame; it makes a nice looking job and the frame is easier to adjust, same thing with the +2.00 BC jobs. Al.

Comment

This may sound very basic, but wash your hands in between every patient and after lunch. Nothing worse then eating a salami sandwich and then adjusting someones glasses, or if you have ever had one of those ladys come in wearing the 5.00 a gallon evening in paris perfume which will now be all over your hands and will now transfer to the next person you touch.

Comment

I think this new chain of dispensing tips is
                                very good so keep them coming guys!
                                Jorge

Comment

Working...
                                X