Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patient comes in with an older metal frame that your biggest screw will not stay tight. With the screw in side the barrel take your snipes and gently squeeze the threaded barrel, which will make it a little bit oval, and now the screw will self tap it self. Be careful not to squeeze to hard.

Comment

I can think of a "few" things that come in handy and really need to get into the habit of doing it :)
      Check OC's and make SURE you take an OC when ordering one lens (that vertical imbalance is a killer)
      If you are in the habit of taking PD's when replacing a lens, then always compare your taken PD to what the person is wearing!
      Keep the layout charts handy and you can show why that certian design will not work in a certian frame.. doing it with the patient sitting there is easier then having to call them back in after the lab calls to tell you it "won't" work.. :)
      If you are ordering one lens only in a PAL.. check to see if prism thinning was used.. also you may want to supply the RX of the other eye just as a refrence for the lab.
      Always (going back to the single lens RX order) supply the base curve of existing as well as OC ...
      Well did my "part" for the day .. anyone else want to add to the list?

Jeff"do it anyway you want..as long as it's the right way"Trail

Comment

Sounds silly but if you get into the habit of placing lenses upside-down in the tint pot, you'll never hafta fix an upside-down gradient tint!

Comment

For removing AR coatings, there is a product called Armor Etch (for etching glass). It can be purchased at most craft and hobby stores and removes the AR (all but glass) as well as the acid with less risk!
          ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Comment

harry, great thread, where is the inventor of all these tricks, Jaw jah Bob!? Ever have to remove a broken off screw? recently learned from a real old-timer, that if you drip some hot candle wax on it, it makes it really easy to remove.

Comment

When ordering bifocals with exceptionally lowered segs (e.g., golfing glasses or just for patient preference), make sure to measure and order the O.C. distance above the seg. If you don't, the O.C. will be placed about 2mm above the seg (which will place it well below the patient's line of sight, and will cause problems- especially with anisometropes).

Pete
              Pete Hanlin, ABOM
              Vice President Professional Services
              Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Comment

Pete, speaking of golf segs, sometimes we do them at the "top", but you have to remember to order the uncut lenses eye for eye backwards.

Comment

On golf segs. I have often put only one on the top outside corner on the side opposite to that which the ball is addressed.

Also had some golfers come back and say that they wanted progressives like tier non-golf glasses. Complaint: They could not see the ball properly with out progressives. Putting progressives in same seems to have solved the problem with no come-backs.

Comment

ok heres another tip to help save the enviorment and what your lab can smell like. Next time your ready to use antifreeze or some commercial coolant, forget it. Go down to Sams club and buy a 5 gallon can of peanut oil. It works with no odor and no chemicals and no corrosion and will last a long time.Probably dont even need an MSDS sheet.

Comment

J. R. Smith

Comment

This thread is soon going to get so long you are going to have to check it hourly! What a
                        GREAT idea. For all of you "older"folks this kind of reminds me of the articles Ralph Drew used to write in the old Optical Index.If you are asking "Who's Ralph Drew? , you haven't been around as long as I have.(1959)

As for wrong size screws, or replacement screws, Hilco makes a series called Tap and Snap, and I have always been able to find a suitable screw to use.You have to buy the whole tray however.
                        From the Cape, best wishes to all

------------------
                        Harry J

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 11-03-2000).]
                        "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                        Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                        www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Yes sir - remember those articles very well. (1965 for me)
                          J. R. Smith

Comment

Many times people will say they don't want a bifocal,etc. in their sunwear,"just use them to drive". please help them consider that if they need them at all, they need them in their sunwear. they go through the drive thru at their bank, they may need to read when out doors in bright sun, they read a road map, use a car phone, want to see their guages,etc, they need their near adds, they'll thank you for making this strong recommendation, or they'll come back later asking why you didn't warn them, and have to go through the expense of redoing the lenses and wasting the sv ones.

Comment

Dear Al, My brother has has some success with the stick on segs.The go on like a press on prism.He gets a good price for them and because of the inherent nature of that product to be temporary at best, generally winds up selling an additional pair of bifocals.

------------------
                              Harry J
                              "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                              Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                              www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

I've been out of the country for a while and missed some postings, but I just realized that Steve changed me from "insane poster" to "optiboardaholic". Is there a 12 step program for this? I need to have enough "work" to keep me busy! Cold turkey would be good( did that with tobacco), but this is way more addictive, and it's cheap! And it's keeping out of some of those "bad" internet sites. What's the next level up, Steve?

Comment

Working...
                                X