Vision distance blurrier in tinted sunglasses vs clear lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drk View Post
    For the record, I do not think the pupil size in sunglasses increases very significantly.
    I observed no difference on the two people I tested under unfiltered summer sun (43˚ latitude), brown polarized, AR coated sunglasses, with a very good light seal, and clear AR coated eyeglasses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

Since the distance vision complaint for the tinted pair is specifically for driving, is the tinted pair a shorter corridor and/or the wearer leaning back slightly when they drive?

All valid points raised by others already, so if those check out maybe consider if she's leaning back with a more aggressive add increase in front of here, might compromise the distance vision field.

Comment

Nice research, RM!

Comment

What is absolutely true, though, DanLiv, is that any error in refraction comes out when the pupil enlarges in night driving, of course. (That's one reason I like to refract dilated when possible.)

(Of course the peripheral lens gets into play a little but most dilations I do are no more than 8 mm or so...)

Comment

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
            As a skier in Utah, I can tell you from years of direct, personal experience, as well as having fit thousands of fellow skiers and boarders that the "not being able to see ice" thing is nothing but a myth. As an old pilot as well, I have never flown in *any* aircraft type new or old that polar lenses created any issues whatsoever. Further, there is NO AIM/FAR regulation that precludes pilots from wearing polar lenses (unlike the wildly erroneous information given out in numerous ABO classes I've sat through over the years).
            Wow, this is golden information! Thanks Uilleann.
            www.DanielLivingston.com

Comment

This is information from the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pi...sunglasses.pdf

Polarized lenses are not recommended for a number of reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLiv View Post
                My reasons, in order of importance to me:
                You can't readily put the best ARs on tint for the reasons I mentioned, so you have to go for more basic "spray it on anything" ARs. Polarized are compatible with Crizal, EX4, Zeiss Duravision
                The reduced glare from eliminating surface reflections is literally superhuman vision. Tinted lenses merely obstruct light, they don't reduce surface glare
                As Elvis Is Alive said tints do fade and change color over time with exposure to UV. Polarizing filters do not fade.
                Matching a sample is a nightmare. Tints often come out too light or too dark for pt preference. Polarized are fixed, so for better or worse pts can't change it.
                100% this!

DRK if you are doing a majority tints and not polarized you are setting yourself up for remakes. "The tint isn't what I was thinking!" or "Can it be a little lighter/darker?". NO just NO. So many tint problems I literally want to punch people in the face. My boss said can we just buy a tint tank and you can do them here? Yes, that would work--IF the lenses aren't coated with AR. BUT we like to put AR on sunglass lenses for the reasons DanLiv mentioned.

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
                Fun, if you enjoy "jerking away in the sand". See Robin Williams explaination of the game below (language).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14NQIq4SrmY&t=104s
                One of his best bits EVER. :bounce:

Comment

Originally posted by wmcdonald View Post
                  This is information from the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pi...sunglasses.pdf

Polarized lenses are not recommended for a number of reasons.
                  Yep. Let's be crystal clear - that ancient brochure is NOT part of AIM/FAR regulation. And their "number of reasons" are laughably vague in that context. There are thousands of pilots who DO wear polar lenses, in all manner of fixed wing and rotor craft with no issue whatsoever. It's bad form in the extreme to perpetuate as "fact", or "rule" in this case that the aviation environment specifically precludes any polar lens use. Leave it up to the individual pilot - they'll thank you for it!

Comment

Well, NAICITPO, you're right because my optician just had to send back some CR39 lenses for more tint because they're "not dark enough" and now they're "too dark".

Comment

Not to hijack, but do you all put a flash coat on the front of your polars?

Comment

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
                        Yep. Let's be crystal clear - that ancient brochure is NOT part of AIM/FAR regulation. And their "number of reasons" are laughably vague in that context. There are thousands of pilots who DO wear polar lenses, in all manner of fixed wing and rotor craft with no issue whatsoever. It's bad form in the extreme to perpetuate as "fact", or "rule" in this case that the aviation environment specifically precludes any polar lens use. Leave it up to the individual pilot - they'll thank you for it!
                        You can tell how old this guidance is by the fact that it refers to crown glass as "readily available."
                        I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

Nah, flash mirrors are primarily cosmetic, they don't reflect enough light. If I mirror, and I do on maybe 30% of my suns, it's a solid.

I love KBco mirrored blanks because you can surface or generate almost any backside design on them, they are dark, they are inexpensive (since they are not Crizal compatible I sub a less expensive backside AR, and that savings neatly covers the minor extra expense of the mirror. They're cost-neutral so I give away the mirrors for fun a lot of the time), they are fast because you don't have to send out for coating, and surprisingly they are much more scratch resistant (I don't have mirrors rubbing off within a year or two like I do with outsource mirror coatings).
                          www.DanielLivingston.com

Comment

Not too often but I probably do 5-10% of Polarized suns with a mirror. Sometimes flash, more often solid.

Cherry's mirrors are excellent. https://www.colsamples.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phhung95 View Post
                              OD: -4.75 - 2.25 x 25
                              2.25ADD

Lenses #1: Varilux XR 1.67 Transition XTRActive Grey w/ Crizal Sapphire
                              Lenses #2. Varilux XR 1.67 Tinted Grey 3 w/ Crizal Sapphire

Point of wear measurements are also taken into account.
                              Customer love vision in lenses #1 when driving but complain that she can't see well out of lenses 2 when driving. No crazy wraps on the sunglasses.

Anybody have an idea of what other things I should be checking for?

Thank you
                              Maybe check the BC? Do you know the recommended BC for the sun frame? You cannot pre-determine the BC of the X or the XR, the all knowing lab computer software determines that, so a lot of times I end up going with the Varilux Stylstic for wrap frames.

Comment

Non polarised lenses provide better depth perception, and are better for most people performing most tasks.

Check this: https://www.zeiss.com/sunlens/produc...echnology.html

I can see the argument that polarised is better for driving, but that's simply in terms of comfort, not necessarily clarity (except in certain conditions)

That polarised is always better is a common myth amongst eyesore professionals

Comment

Working...
                                X