Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you consider yourself, as an optician?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need more of your type!

Comment

Glasses Czar.

Comment

A pharmacist for glasses. But with a lower salary and cheaper malpractice insurance. I can't kill you with a mistake, but I can make you miserable.

Comment

You know, the pharmacist thing doesn't really work for me. Sorry.

Pharmacist: "drug enforcement agency"
          Optician: "Glasses designer" (amongst other things).

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post

Not meant to be taken verbatim. I (used to) fill prescriptions. Just not for drugs that might kill a patient. My insurance agent used to laugh about how inexpensive our errors and omissions premiums were.

My apologies if anyone took offense. I must remember my place at the bottom of the totem pole of O's. I'll go back to sitting in the corner now.

Comment

No offense!!!!

I meant that a pharmacist would be reduced to tears if he were an optician for a day. amiriteoramirite?

Pharmacist: "Here's your bag of pills."
              Optician: "No, I can't make you look beautiful with these glasses."

Comment

No offense!!!!

I meant that a pharmacist would be reduced to tears if he were an optician for a day. amiriteoramirite?

Pharmacist: "Here's your bag of pills."
                Optician: "No, I can't make you look beautiful with these glasses."
                Or best yet: "Here's your bag of pills that will make you think you look beautiful with these glasses!"

Comment

I'm an Optician. People often call me "Doctor" or say I'm an Optometrist. I also get asked several times a day if I do eye exams. That's when the Pharmacist analogy is useful. I fill the prescriptions signed off by Optometrists and Ophthalmologists and don't perform eye exams.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                    That's when the Pharmacist analogy is useful. I fill the prescriptions signed off by Optometrists and Ophthalmologists and don't perform eye exams.
                    I use the pharmacist analogy too, but I agree with Drk we are understating our work with that comparison. Though a true pharmacist (not a tech) may have a lot more knowledge than an optician, they don't get to flex it. They are severely restricted on what they can dispense based on the Rx. We as opticians have a near carte blanche ability to fill the Rx as we see fit, which comes with a greater design responsibility. Very rarely do I see an Rx from a doc with "progressive, high-index, premium AR" noted, and even then I still have lifestyle discussion to get more details.

I've contemplated other comparisons (recipe and baker? Architect and foreman?), but none seem to telegraph the meaning I want. Work in progress.
                    www.DanielLivingston.com

Comment

That's a pretty good definition.

Comment

I was having this discussion with someone the other day. Are we an allied healthcare profession or are we a trade? Healthcare professionals have formal education, tradesmen have apprenticeships. Healthcare professionals have degrees, tradesmen have certifications. As we move more towards a medical model, and away from the do-it-all optician who makes the eyewear they sell in-house, we need to move in the formal education direction.

Comment

What the world wants is health care professionals.

What the world needs is tradesmen.

Comment

What the world wants is health care professionals.

What the world needs is tradesmen.
                            ding ding ding
                            I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Comment

My 2 cents
                              Dispensing Opticians should be HC professionals.
                              Lab technicians should be tradesmen.
                              Dispensing opticians could be both.
                              But, the other 2 O’s will fight it, as will big optical. And we all know that many Optometrists have no clue about the art and technical aspects of optical dispensing, nor do OPHs. With a few exceptions, of course. Add to the equation. Big Optical treats their labs as factories.
                              I bend light. That is what I do.

Comment

There is nothing an optician does that resembles medical anything. There is also nothing that requires a formal education. Like... NOTHING.

Comment

Working...
                                X