No announcement yet.

How to communicate to customer - "They Must Adjust to their new glasses"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you guys are really sharp today! I'm truly impressed, and Darris is right, when to solve "adaptation" problems is at the dispensing table in what we call pre-styling, i.e. discussing their new prescription, the changes from their current ones, alternatives, materials, costs,sunglass needs, etc., BEFORE we do any frame styling. Then during frame styling we can give some pointers about why some styles might be better or worse, relative to the lens designs we just discussed. they then know exactly what to expect, and very seldom do they have any problems, unless there is a prescription problem. Al.

Comment

To all of you,

Thanks for the wonderful input. A lot of the information I use on a daily basis, some of it is new to me, and the explanations different, and simplified somewhat. I have learned some areas I certainly need to improve in, some areas I haven't attempted at all, and some long forgotten information.

Darris_ "Do explain the sand theory!"

I am not certain if I understand it called something different, or if I am unaware of it at all.

You all are excellent!

Judy Parker
      Judy Parker

Comment

Terminology

I just realized in my post I used the word "strange" and in the post following it Darris used the word "different." As eyedude and Blake have mentioned, how you say things is important; it can change the customers perception of their eyewear. If you imply something will be difficult or weird the Px will expect that or try to find that. Just like thickness issues. If someone comes in wearing high minus PSR and your fitting revolves around solving thickness issues and you seem to promise the Px the world you had better make good on your promises. When the Px picks up their glasses the first thing they are going to look at is the edge. In this case thinner than what your wearing is totally different from the thinnest lens. At fitting you are setting that persons excectations. It is OK if you do better than they expect. It is tough to explain that their glasses are the best they are going to get with the lens frame combination they chose if the glasses don't live up to what they thought they were going to get.

Many of us now use learn instead of adjust to or get used to. I sometimes use "fine tune" and "re-align" to describe adjusting eyewear. What other user friendly terminology is out there that you guys use?

Comment

Howdy Judy,

The "sand" theory is what we use to make aberration easier to understand for the patient since we know in advance that marginal astigmatism will exist in the lenses somewhere.

The "sand" theory.

As it was explained to me went like this: Marginal astigmatism, aberrations or distortions we will refer to as "sand." Since no matter what one does to the lens there will always be some "sand" in the lens it is the labs as well as the dispensers objective to eliminate as much of the "sand" as we can via OC placement as well as lens material, bifocal style and frame selection.

In order to do this the labs ask for a "B" and an "ED" measurement so that they can place the sand outside of these parameters. By doing this most of the "sand" is cut off during the edging process which in turn makes the vision through the lens much better with less peripheral distortion. Since there will always be "sand" in the lenses you might as well put it where it will be out of the way or gone altogether.

This is merely a tool that makes it easier to explain the aberrations to the patient that he or she may experience in their new lenses. The patients are more apt to understand what they are seeing if they first understand "why" they are seeing it. It makes life simpler for us here at "The Sight Center, home of quality eyewear and the two best damn looking opticians in the world." :-) (Just a little plug there)

Take care and I'll talk to you later.

Darris "Master of The Keep" Chambless

Comment

Judy
            You are asking an age old question. My response is that not enough opticians realize that putting glasses on adults and putting glasses on kids are two different experiences. Opticians, from my experience over the last 35 years, tend not to be as interactive at the fitting table as needed. It tends to be a lecturing situation. For adults, the adult learning process calls for demonstration (explanation of what is to be expected, stimulus), a command to repeat back (response) what has been explained, and an acknowledgement (relevant and appropriate feedback from you). In the younger age group (and, possibly even geriatric) asking the patient what he experiences and responding with confirming feedback and suggestions for adjustment,shortens the adaptation cycle.
            I stopped using the term "You need to get used to it." or similar ones years ago and spend my time getting into the Stimulus/Response/Feedback cycle. That way you and your patient both train, diagnose, and solve problems during the same session. You also reinforce the patients trust in you. This, to me, is the stuff that separates professional from "shlock." I wrote a thesis several years ago on interactive fitting techniques for progressive lenses using a tangential field plotting technique I learned in Europe. I'd be happy to share it with you if you give me your e-mail address. It is a hefty text cause it has quite a lot of graphics, so expect a long upload. I'd be happy to post it on the Optiboard, but it's long. It's my Masters paper.

Comment

Alan,

I'd be happy to add your thesis to OptiBoard's download section if you'd like.

------------------

OptiBoard Administrator

OptiBoard Administrator
              ----
              OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

Alan,

I would love to have a copy of your Master Thesis.

Thank you in advance,

Judy Parker
                parkerr@ccdi.net
                Judy Parker

Comment

You have to remember that to many of people,
                  "You have to wear them means:
                  1) I put them own at night after I take my contacts off.
                  2) I keep them on top of my head until I need to see/read something.

Such people will not change an will never adapt.

Most others will make friends with thier new glasses/Rx (unless something is wrong with same) in 5 days, so tell them to leave them on their face for 2 weeks and you will have no problems that are not "genuine" problems with either the Rx or your mechanics on the job. Not that you or the doctor ever make a mistake that is. Of course if the patient sees several lines worse at near or far than they did with their old Rx, there is no point waiting, check your work, check the doctors origional Rx against what you wrote down. If all your measurements are O.K. the lenses check out, send them back to the doctor. Most labs will help if the "clinical error" is fresh. What I hate is those patient's who come back months later and say: "I never have been able to see out of these glasses!"

Chip "getting too old and tired to put up with as much as I used to" Anderson

Comment

Working...
                  X