Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital lens c-size measuring device - does it exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital lens c-size measuring device - does it exist?

One of our lab reps told me that there's a c-size measuring device that's digital and mostly automated (and not simply a frame tracer).

Does anyone know of something like that? We've had trouble with labs sending "lenses only" jobs to us with them coming in the correct size since the manual tape c-size measuring devices can be off simply with how tight you pull the tape.

Thanks!
    -Steve

Yes. Precision Tool (in Minnesota) make one. Called the "DigiSizer". I have attached a picture.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DigiSizer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	867784
    J. R. Smith

Comment

I'm unclear, are you having lenses sent to you edged and ready to be fit into frames? In my experience, a lot of frame vary slightly in size even for the same model. unless we want to take the lenses down by hand, if we aren't edging it ourselves we normally send our frames out and have the lab edge and assemble, silhouette being the exception.
      "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

JRS, do you knowther web site? is it precision tool .com?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginster View Post
          JRS, do you knowther web site? is it precision tool .com?
          It's http://www.precisiontooltech.com/
          There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by NCspecs View Post
            I'm unclear, are you having lenses sent to you edged and ready to be fit into frames? In my experience, a lot of frame vary slightly in size even for the same model. unless we want to take the lenses down by hand, if we aren't edging it ourselves we normally send our frames out and have the lab edge and assemble, silhouette being the exception.
            So let's say we're ordering new finished lenses off an archived shape/size for a frame that the same lab has done the same job before, they seem to come in large a lot of the time meaning we waste a lot of time hand edging them to get them to fit. My theory is that they're using several different edgers and none of them are calibrated the same, or perhaps they're simply ignoring any of the notes as to how they had to adjust the sizing the first time around. It's just maddening to get a beautifully polished 1.74 finished job in and have to mess it up with a hand wheel. This mostly applies to VSP jobs since we do everything else in house.

That machine that JRS posted is what I think the rep must have been talking about. Nice work!
            -Steve

Comment

Here's the direct page link:

-Steve

Comment

Originally posted by snowmonster View Post
                So let's say we're ordering new finished lenses off an archived shape/size for a frame that the same lab has done the same job before, they seem to come in large a lot of the time meaning we waste a lot of time hand edging them to get them to fit. My theory is that they're using several different edgers and none of them are calibrated the same, or perhaps they're simply ignoring any of the notes as to how they had to adjust the sizing the first time around. It's just maddening to get a beautifully polished 1.74 finished job in and have to mess it up with a hand wheel. This mostly applies to VSP jobs since we do everything else in house.

That machine that JRS posted is what I think the rep must have been talking about. Nice work!
                Oh sure, you have to figure that every edger is going to be slightly different. I guess thats why our office just sends the frame out (or has the lens sent to us uncut so we can edge it ourselves), for the VSP jobs and for a few others. We have recently been a part of the new IOF program so we are edging all SV VSP ourselves. Glad you found what you needed! :)
                "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Working...
                X