Thoughts on Marchon Airlocks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Marchon Airlocks...

Having seen the plethora of drill mount screwless frames that have become available since the introduction of Silhouette Titans, we are now working with the Marchon Airlock frames.

Before going further, let me just say that- next to the Titans- the Airlocks are probably the second best drill mount system I've seen. The Charmant and Safilo versions that we have recently tried have both been banished from our shop!

Okay then, on to the Airlocks. If memory serves, there used to be an engineer/cartoonist named "Rube" who drew comics of simple processes that had been hopelessly complicated by spuriously added additional steps and procedures. I think Mr. Rube's grandson must now work for Marchon!

I mean, come on... you have to change the drill bit twice per lens! In fact, there are no less than five different pins and bits used to do each lens (a placement pin, a large drill bit, a burr, an installation thumb tack, and a triangular setting device). Geesh!

On the other hand, I have to admit that the finished product seems more likely to come out on axis and feels more secure than the Titans. Of course, it should feel more secure- considering the relatively mammoth size of the pin that goes through the lens. The other major advantage of the Marchon product I see is the ease with which you can dismount the lens (though I have to wonder if the lens will dismount itself over time).

Anyone have opinions on the Airlock product (or any other drill mount that I may have yet to try)? I appreciate seeing the opinions and experiences of fellow drill mounters!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Airlocks have been our best selling frame from the moment we received them about two months ago.

I only use polycarb lenses for my 3pc. mounts and build the extra charge into the cost of the frames.

From a technical standpoint I have found it imperative to use new bushings if you should have to dismantle the lens and then reassemble; otherwise they work loose. I was able to squeeze another mounting kit off my rep and therefore have two jigs to work with which requires less changing of drill bits. We also found leap pads hold the jig an AR lenses alot more solidly than their kits double faced tape.

I am wearing the first pair I made and my doc is wearing the second pair which has influenced many sales this far. This is a thumbs up product for us.

Kevin

Comment

Hello Pete,

You speak of Rube Goldberg. He was my hero :)

Marchon in my opinion is a terrible company to deal with. We do not carry any of their product anymore although we were tempted once with the DKNY but then thought better of it because after all, it was still Marchon :)

The Titan as of yet is the best one. I've not used the Airlocks system so I can't really say it's a good or bad system but I have dealt with the company. It may be a solid drill mount design but I will never know. I've used a couple of different Tura drill mounts recently and can honestly say they are a big pain, but are very secure when finished. The good ole ArtCraft Rimway is a good one and pretty easy to do but is not a three piece mounting. The Omomuki are a pain in the butt especially to keep tight after the fact (no shoe springs). The 123 Titanium are pretty straight forward but I haven't had them long enough to give an opinion yet. The Polo drill mounts, in my opinion work pretty well and are simple and seem to hold up well. The Charmant was the worst thing I've ever had the displeasure to work with. I don't know what idiot came up with that idea for a mounting system. There are many others that I've messed with but can't remember at present, but I can say I probably didn't like them for whatever reason or I'd still have them around :)

Keep in mind many of the drill mounts I've mentioned don't have drilling systems and you fly by the seat of your pants when drilling them, but there mountings are good.

I hope this helps,

Darris C.

Comment

Titans (silholette Rimless)

I haven't tried them all but the Titians are a breeze to drill! I do all the drilled rimless in the lab I work at part-time and these are so easy that it feels like cheating.
        Tom

Comment

As a wholesale manufacturer, we have had several "learning" experiences with the Air-Lock by Marchon. We too have learned that polycarbonate or poly-like materials (Phoenix/Trilogy) are more appropriate for these mounting types. We have experienced that the plastic sleeves fitting over the mounting posts can vary in thickness, thus compromising the tightness needed for the lenses to stay secure. The drilling angle is also critical. We have used the CNC Optidrill, however with out the tilt table (just made available) the holes do not have the proper angle to the front surface of the lens and the mounting peices do not sit flush, also making it unstable. We have had the most success with the "Smart Drill".

Last but not least, there is no such thing as a "loose" lens, it's either on or off. This seems to be due to the tapper of the mounting posts. I do agree that once done properly and with the appropriate lens material that the finished product looks good. Time will tell if they will stay that way!

Steve

Comment

Well, we've had our supply of AirLocks for a while now... All I can say is that we plan to return them! I can remember doing the first couple of Titans and thinking "this is impossible!" Now I crank a Titan out in about five minutes...

Not so with the AirLocks. I don't know who made the brilliant decision to require two bits and and placement pin, but I want him or her punished (preferrably in an open forum, like at a Vision Expo... imagine how popular the Marchon booth would be if you got to throw stuff at the person responsible for... oops, I'm still typing, aren't I???).

Not only are they impossible to drill, but half of the time the lenses come right out after they've been mounted! Marchon should do the right thing and pull these dogs off the market!

Pete "and that's all I have to say about that" Hanlin
            Pete Hanlin, ABOM
            Vice President Professional Services
            Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
              Well, we've had our supply of AirLocks for a while now... All I can say is that we plan to return them! I can remember doing the first couple of Titans and thinking "this is impossible!" Now I crank a Titan out in about five minutes...

Not so with the AirLocks. I don't know who made the brilliant decision to require two bits and and placement pin, but I want him or her punished (preferrably in an open forum, like at a Vision Expo... imagine how popular the Marchon booth would be if you got to throw stuff at the person responsible for... oops, I'm still typing, aren't I???).

Not only are they impossible to drill, but half of the time the lenses come right out after they've been mounted! Marchon should do the right thing and pull these dogs off the market!

Pete "and that's all I have to say about that" Hanlin
              Pete
              I would much rather take the extra 2 second to change the bit, than to have my customers wait for me to order a new Sillouette temple. Also what do you mean "half the time the lenses come right out after they have been mounted". If mounted correctly the only way to seperate the lenses from the frame is to cut the tip off the compression fitting. I have yet to have one of my customers come into my office with a lens in hand from an Airlock.

Comment

I have been anti-drill for about 3 years now. I think the craze to look like everyone else is over. Plus they make you look 10 years older. I have drilled frames in all my lines and don't really push them.

Comment

Originally posted by T KNIGHTON View Post
                  Pete
                  I would much rather take the extra 2 second to change the bit, than to have my customers wait for me to order a new Sillouette temple. Also what do you mean "half the time the lenses come right out after they have been mounted". If mounted correctly the only way to seperate the lenses from the frame is to cut the tip off the compression fitting. I have yet to have one of my customers come into my office with a lens in hand from an Airlock.
                  Are you aware that you have revived a 5+ yr old thread?

Comment

Well since this old thread has been bumped, might as well put it to good use.

Here is the thing, the plugs suck. They really do. The temples pull apart from the plugs, the plugs are not uniform from one brand the the next, and annoying to work with.

Screws are the answer, and always were the answer. Problem is that most frames use the wrong screws. If it is a nut that you put on the frame that comes out through the back the nut will back off on you. What you want is the screw that you snip to proper side and go through the back.

Anyways, just had to get that off my chest.

Comment

I don't like airlocks...

and although Titans are easy, they're condemmed to be used only in applications of light-overall weight, and clients who don't prized rigidity.

I've been drillin' my rimless for 10 years (past 5 years on a smart drill). I (and Chuck @ Smart Drill) feel that Rodenstock's drill mounts are the "class" of the industry.

My client's love them too...although I sell many more silhouette titans (and family).

Now with LEAP III LSE edging pads (god, those suckers stick on Alize clear gard!), most of my drill-axis problems are over.

Try LEAP III LSE ASAP, you won't regret it!

Barry

Comment

I'll add to this old thread too.

If you are still doing drill mounts by hand I would strongly recommend getting the Santinelli "Less Stress" drill. I got one about a year ago and now drill mounts are simple. You can achieve acurate hole size, placement and angle for the lens. I first saw the product at a CE seminar, it has been a wonderful addition to my lab tools.

Marchon Airlocks with the screwless temples break on a regular basis. I also pulled all of there product.

Comment

Originally posted by DocInChina View Post
                          Are you aware that you have revived a 5+ yr old thread?

You mean Pete's really not back to bending frames!?!:D
                          Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
                            Having seen the plethora of drill mount screwless frames that have become available since the introduction of Silhouette Titans, we are now working with the Marchon Airlock frames.

Before going further, let me just say that- next to the Titans- the Airlocks are probably the second best drill mount system I've seen. The Charmant and Safilo versions that we have recently tried have both been banished from our shop!

Okay then, on to the Airlocks. If memory serves, there used to be an engineer/cartoonist named "Rube" who drew comics of simple processes that had been hopelessly complicated by spuriously added additional steps and procedures. I think Mr. Rube's grandson must now work for Marchon!

I mean, come on... you have to change the drill bit twice per lens! In fact, there are no less than five different pins and bits used to do each lens (a placement pin, a large drill bit, a burr, an installation thumb tack, and a triangular setting device). Geesh!

On the other hand, I have to admit that the finished product seems more likely to come out on axis and feels more secure than the Titans. Of course, it should feel more secure- considering the relatively mammoth size of the pin that goes through the lens. The other major advantage of the Marchon product I see is the ease with which you can dismount the lens (though I have to wonder if the lens will dismount itself over time).

Anyone have opinions on the Airlock product (or any other drill mount that I may have yet to try)? I appreciate seeing the opinions and experiences of fellow drill mounters!

Pete
                            The Airlocks stay together a lot better than the Silhouette Titan. When de-mounting, use a tool from Hilco that effortlessly pulls out the mount from the bushing .
                            Bob Taylor

Comment

The problem I have with Airlocks is that the style without hinges breaks too easily and without warning.

Comment

Working...
                              X