which states require licensing of opticians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which states require licensing of opticians

can anyone direct me to a list of states that require licensing of opticians? i would really appreciate it.

TRY WWW.OAA.ORG OR WWW.ABO-NCLE.ORG I think 26 out of 50 have license.
    Paul:cheers:

Comment

I think the number is closer to 21 states, not even half. The ABO site has a list of state licensing boards. It list's Texas', but this state dosen't make it manditory, it's voluntary. Don't use their list as definitive.

Comment

i dont have a list but i'm from the west coast so california no, washington state yes (i think).

Comment

licensed optician states

For the southern states:

Yes: FL, GA, NC, TN
          No: AL, MS

SC? VA? dunno
          sigpic "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Comment

Jenny:

Mississippi is not a licensed state. The Opticians have been trying to be licensed since 1960, the optometrists and now the chains have opposed this since that time. They got the money, they got the clout, they got the numbers.

Chip

Comment

Virginia has required a license since 1954. South Carolina is a yes as well. Kentucky too!

Comment

Originally posted by Judy Canty View Post
                Virginia has required a license since 1954. South Carolina is a yes as well. Kentucky too!
                I lived in Maryland and worked briefly in Virginia in the early 80's. I didn't have a license nor was it ever mentioned to me.

Comment

Well, I've been licensed in VA since 1978 and it is required, not voluntary.

Maryland does not require a license nor does DC, though in DC you do need a license to be a dog groomer!

Comment

Michigan is a BIG no! The OD's and OMD's (specifically OD's ala the Michigan Optometric Association lobby which is HUGE in the state capitol) have blocked every attempt. I was apart of the last attempt in 2005 to get licensure - their lawyers and lobbyists had us down for the 10 count before we were even heard in subcommittee.

Comment

License Anyone ?

The following are licensed states. Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Nevada, New Jersey, and New York. Texas and California license the business as apposed to the optician. I believe the last state to become a licensed state was Ohio in 1979.
                      "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Comment

Licensed States

Thank you so much for this listing. I have looked for this information on one document and have never been able to find it. I was told that Arkansas was a licensed state as well.

Comment

Whoops

I see Arkansas now

Comment

Originally posted by Audiyoda View Post
                            Michigan is a BIG no! The OD's and OMD's (specifically OD's ala the Michigan Optometric Association lobby which is HUGE in the state capitol) have blocked every attempt. I was apart of the last attempt in 2005 to get licensure - their lawyers and lobbyists had us down for the 10 count before we were even heard in subcommittee.
                            Believe it or not, your best ally in this fight could have been and still can be, the OMDs who are not particularly happy with the latest incursion into their baliwick by the OD's.But they have to be approached! When this licensing effort took place, who did you call on for help? Other licensed states? OAA? I for one never heard anything about it.Your post sounds like you've all given up. Why is this effort not an ongoing thing. Failing in the attempt is not a good enough excuse to give up on it......I send that message to PA as well. Perseverance is key!
                            "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                            Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                            www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Requirements

Does WA require an ABO license? I currently have my ABO and want to take my NCLE this Fall, to increase my chances of securing employment in another state. Do most states that require ABO also require NCLE?

Comment

Working...
                              X