Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zeiss Glass Lenses: $1400 !!! Really ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeiss Glass Lenses: $1400 !!! Really ???

I'm looking to replace my prescription lenses. I just had an eye exam and I'm getting progressive lenses. I want to get Zeiss real glass lenses. Today, my optometrist said that Zeiss progressive glasses lenses, with my mild prescription will cost $1400. This seems outrageously expensive. Zeiss SmartLife High Index 1.67 polycarbonate lenses are $1100. Am I messing something? Am I being ripped off?

While I don't work with glass lenses or ZEISS at all, I know that they are quite expensive, especially if you're going for 1.9 index lenses, I've heard ZEISS is very high quality but that does seem a little extreme!
    Progressives add a lot of cost on too, I could see them being sold at such a price but it does seem a little high...
    Would like to hear from others what different glass lenses retail for at their locations!
    As for the 1.67 lenses, I assume you meant plastic not polycarbonate as poly can't be 1.67 index, unless you're referring to the fact CR-39 is technically a polycarbonate, if so I would avoid using the term due to potential confusion(and as far as I'm aware high-index plastics are Thiourethane anyway, right?). Personally I would never dream of selling 1.67 progressives for 1100 but I'm based in the UK, it's most likely vastly different over there.

Comment

Originally posted by davidhunternyc View Post
      I'm looking to replace my prescription lenses. I just had an eye exam and I'm getting progressive lenses. I want to get Zeiss real glass lenses. Today, my optometrist said that Zeiss progressive glasses lenses, with my mild prescription will cost $1400. This seems outrageously expensive. Zeiss SmartLife High Index 1.67 polycarbonate lenses are $1100. Am I messing something? Am I being ripped off?
      I would shop around. That does seem a bit excessive. If your RX is mild, and not higher than +/-4 i would not see the reason for doing a 1.67 and could stick to the polycarbonate instead. I know at our office, for the SmartLife high index 1.67 lenses with all the bells and whistles would cost around 500 less than what you were quoted.

Comment

Yeah I think I'd have to agree with Madelaine, have a shop around.
        Even our 1.74 Zeiss smartlife individual lenses are only £520 (which I believe is about $623). Obviously you then have the frame price, but even then you'd be hard pressed to get if to $1400, even if you had one of the most expensive designer frames we offer.

Comment

Is that $1400 just for the lenses? If it is, I have to ask what sort of glass they're using. Some obscure glass they found in a half million year old cave somewhere that had to be excavated over several years time with just a dental pick and Q-tips?

We don't use Zeiss lenses where I work, but $1400 seems like over-the-top expensive.

Self pay, no insurance, with the most expensive frame we sell and all the lens options we offer costs less than $1200.

Comment

Does this place take insurance? Because that sounds like insurance pricing.

For those not in the know: Let's say you have insurance and you get $200 off on a frame. In reality, the optical will only get maybe $50 from the insurance company. So they jack up the price by $150 or so in order to offset the loss when the initial $200 gets shaved off. THIS especially applies to lenses that are outside of an insurance's lens formulary.

Comment

OP is a consumer, not an eyecare professional. Thread closed.

OptiBoard Administrator
              ----
              OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Comment

Working...
              X