Inspiration

Hannes Otahal

Albert Ammons & Pete Johnson

Click image for larger version

Name:	Albert Ammons & Pete Johnson.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	867945
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 02-17-2011, 09:00 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

What old garage bands didn't play this song?

As Dave Barry once said,"If a guitar fell down the stairs, it would play Gloria on the way down."
      DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
      "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, I've never heard this version, only the cover by the Shadows of Knight:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(and I promise I'll get around to sending a copy that we recorded in '66 or '67).

This might explain why this wasn't played in our area- from Wiki-

Shadows of Knight single released in December 1965 (later included in the album Gloria). Reached number 10 in 1966, topping the original in the U.S. only in areas where Them's version could not be played, because it contained the words, "She comes to my room". Some radio stations objected to this, most notably Chicago's station WLS. The Chicago-based band Shadows of Knight's version replaced this line with "She calls out my name."

Comment

Here's my favorite old Van Morrison:

DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
          "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

Can't believe I haven't posted this one:

DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Comment

Here's a live version you might like. Check out the cigarette wedged between the E string and the nut at 3:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
                Here's a live version you might like. Check out the cigarette wedged between the E string and the nut at 3:38.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaMPX...eature=related

Like Cippolina?
                DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
                  I mentioned it because I did it, and maybe you did too.

I didn't know John died at age 45. Emphysema it says. I quit last July, about 15 years too late, but my dad made it to age 90, so I'm somewhat optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
                    I mentioned it because I did it, and maybe you did too.

I didn't know John died at age 45. Emphysema it says. I quit last July, about 15 years too late, but my dad made it to age 90, so I'm somewhat optimistic.
                    No, I never smoked cigarettes, and I left my bass head hairy. One our guitarists did that, though.
                    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Comment

So I'm a sucker for a quality pop melody. Set to a video of one of my favorite TV couples, Morticia and Gomez.

Comment

CTA kicking major ***, before devolving into a somewhat whiny, pop-ballad music machine.

Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

When I went to see Jimi , CTA was the opening act. The stage was dark. Offstage a wood block was struck. Then another, then another. Soon a cacophony of intertwined dual rhythms beaten out on the wood blocks and cowbells entranced the crowd. A dim light onstage. One man walks onstage beating his wood block. Then another. Then another. Soon the stage was filled with guys hammering it out. One set his block down and picked up his bass. Du Du Dum -DUM! One by one the others picked up instruments. Guitar! Drums! Organ! Brass! Vocals!
                          The rest is history.
                          Oh WoW! Orange amps!
                          (Guitar player looks like Zal Yanovsky a bit doesn't he?)
                          DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Comment

Yet another classic!
                            DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Comment

You mean this? Lucked out and found a live version.

Robert will like the Gibson SG!

Which one Smith or Quick? Also I believe the Fix'in to die rag by Country Joe And the Fish is up there too.

Comment

When I went to see Jimi , CTA was the opening act.
                                What a night!

Oh WoW! Orange amps!
                                They were the house amps on this German TV show.

Yet another classic!
                                I don't believe this is lip-synced (although it is out of sync- darn it) or pre-recorded music with live vocals. If true, then these were certainly competent muscians. Hard to find because it's so hard to do live. Is that a Gibson L5 Vinny Martell (Martemucci) is playing? Not what you'd expect from a 1967 hard driving rock guitarist, although I had to play a L50 on stage through 1968. Probably just trying to be a contrarian. Thanks for finding this.

Let's see if you can wrap your head around this (best viewed late at night)...

Comment

Working...
                                X