Thread: Just getting use to glasses quesion

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Just getting use to glasses quesion

I just got a new pair of progressive glasses and I was wondering if this is normal: If I focus on a line of text it is ly clear from the center out for about 2" then it begins to blur again. his is at about the 18" away range. Is this normal or do I need to get them adjusted? I'm totally new to progressive lenses and only wore reading glasses before.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Please follow posting guidelines:

"This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take your glasses and yourself back to where you purchased them. Have them(if they haven't already) explain the way progressive lenses work and how you should be using them.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think that this (quite literally) speaks for almost everyone here..

But here's a question: When Kodiak gets this problem straightened out, would it be inappropriate for him (her) to return to this thread and post about how the problem was resolved--as long as he is not posting any new questions in the same vein as his first one..?

[pong][/pong]"You may have been up the river, but you've never seen this!"
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-04-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Dont be rough on Rinselberg.................

I got new for you guy's and girls:

Rinselberg is a full fledged member here for many years and is about the best web researcher on Optiboard.

Funny that you have not seen his many posts in just about every forum.

If his question was of any serious matter for info you should not have answered the negative way you did. :finger: :hammer:

Furthermore I am under the impression that consumers are allowed in this forum

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Rinselberg is a full fledged member here for many years and is about the best web researcher on Optiboard.

If his question was of any serious matter for info you should not have answered the negative way you did. :finger: :hammer:

We have had this debate before. We found it easier just to keep it closed to consumers who are asking these type of questions.

In the end, 30 of us give 30 views and do nothing more than confuse the consumer and hurt his/her's store's reputation.

If this thread was closed after Fezz's comment, then the problem would have been solved.

Occupation
    I can see where For-Life is coming from, and I almost agree 100 percent.

It's been awhile since that debate, and I don't remember how all of it went.

But in responding to the post here (from Kodiak), I wonder if this question would be welcomed:

Should there be a "Consumers, share your eyecare experience" forum. Separate from the other forums. I would volunteer to be a moderator, although I would hope not to be the only one.

At the very top of this forum, it would say in plain, unmistakable Anglo-Saxon, that the first thing for any consumer with a problem is to take it to (or back to) an ECP--face to face. But after that.. it would be open to anyone who wants to "play" in this forum and comment on how the consumer(s) are being served.

At the first sign of misbehavior--slandering (or even disclosing the identity) of a specific ECP or establishment--the moderators slam the door shut on the miscreant(s).

Just what's on my mind--again, I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way if they already had their fill of that debate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Did I miss a post after Rinsie's and before Chris's that may have been deleted?

Rinselberg is definitaly one of the gang! I am glad he is here and shares his vast knowledge and web searching skills with us.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Sorry I didn't mean to stur anything up. I thought the question would be ok. We spend a lot of money for these glasses, $368, and like going to a physician that tells you theres nothing they can do a person may want a second opinion and thats what I was looking for here. I'm 52, have a small income but these are my eyes so I treat them with the best, at least I thought what would be the best but now it seems like I'm reading a 2 to 3 inch wide path and my head is moving all over the place. No I don't understand progressive lenses. What I wonder is why do they have to be so different from readers. From what they tell me mine only go from +1.00 at the top to +1.75 at the bottom and from what I have read here this is not a great deal of change. I feel like I should of stuck with $10 readers at least it was clear accross the page.

There should be an open forum here for these type's of questions. We are relying on you professionals to give us this second opinion. Just my opinion, lol. Anyway, thanks for the help you have given and I appreciate it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    BTW here is another man with a almost identical issue and the same age.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18374

However I didn't use LC. This was not a chain store set of glasses. Total bill here was $968

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Well I called the place where I bought my glasses and said they wasn't quite right. Here is a few things I find wrong:

1. On one side of my nose I now have a big sore.
    2. My eyes seem to be out of focus with each other
    3. At night the lights seem to glare a little and if I look over the lens they don't however red seems to be more clear.
    4. My reading width is only 2" to 3" at reading distances

The lady I spoke to said to come in and we can fit you for bifocals if you like. Thats not the answer I wanted to hear after spending $368 on what they called the best you can buy. I told her no lets try some adjustment and if we can't get it right then make that decision. Told her I wasn't upset or anything and I just wanted them right. I go in tomorrow at 8:30. Plus I will give them more time for my eyes to adjust since I have only had them for a little over a week. It really seems like things are a little distorted also, not out of focus per say.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We can't close them if we don't know about them- just report this sort of thing and its taken care of. We can't be everywhere ALL the time. There MUST be a full moon near!:):)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Thread Information