View Poll Results: Have you been turned down from volunteering for an organization?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, turned down.

3 13.64%
  • No, I was accepted as a volunteer.

9 40.91%
  • I never got a straight answer.

6 27.27%
  • I haven't tried.

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer - Have you been turned down?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Volunteer - Have you been turned down?

I have semed to notie that whenever I call any of the optical organizations to volunteer time or help. I always get turned down. I have also noticed that I always get fliers and post cards from these very same organizations needing help when my dues are up. I am curious to know how many others have been turned down from the (Opticians Association, Contact Lens Society, or State Society) and if you have had a different experience please let me know.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dont Feel Lonesome

When I first joined the Ohio opticians assoc. I phoned the president and offered my services to help in any needed area. He said thanks, you could help by making a check out to the PAC. I did not renew my membership.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Harry -

If you would have asked me this question before June, 2006, I would have said "yes, I was turned down and ignored".

HOWEVER, there is new leadership in our organization, and it seems they really want to make some postitive changes. I contacted Dave and presented some ideas (what I thought was positive and some things I think could be changed and how I think I can help) and he and I have started to work together.

:cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Oap

Harry
    I've had no luck with my State's Assoc.
    I was interested in helping out in my area's chapter but no luck.
    Thanks for the thread and keep up the website. You do more than most.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never been turned down as a volunteer, but that doesn't excuse me from paying dues. Most associations need the operating capital as much or more than they need the volunteers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wasn't there a song,, moneymoneymoneymoneymooooooneyyyyyyyy,, money. I dint mind paying dues, but if they dint want my time just more money thats where I draw the line. Of course its because I have so much more of one than the other.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    I don't mind paying dues, but I get a feeling of funding a club that I don't really belong to, which is not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    I've never been turned down as a volunteer, but that doesn't excuse me from paying dues. Most associations need the operating capital as much or more than they need the volunteers.
    I mention volunteering and dues in the same breath, because that is always when the associations say they need volunteers. I can't help but to feel hussled. I used to pay my dues and just call every month to see if I can voluteer. Some of the people actually got sick of me calling, and I got sick of sending in checks.

I think that if more people were allowed to volunteer, it would create a sense of belonging and more people would join. More people joining and volunteering would mean the associations would acomplish more things, which in turn would lead to more people joining.

I don't see how the current model is working their have been no significant strides for our field in a long time. The certifications are getting easier, they are becomeing easier to qualify for, and our standards are actually getting poorer. Shouldn't our associations be on top of these things?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Volunteer to do what? If your organization doesn't have enough operating capital, what do you volunteer to do? Call Opticians and ask for money so you can accomplish something?

Gimme a break, even an all-volunteer Army needs operating capital.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about paying dues that go to pay back yet another lawyer for yet another failed attempt at licensure! I just love that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So the better strategy is to do nothing and just complain?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Volunteer to do what? If your organization doesn't have enough operating capital, what do you volunteer to do? Call Opticians and ask for money so you can accomplish something?

Gimme a break, even an all-volunteer Army needs operating capital.
    I don't think anyone said they didn't want to pay their dues. When you pay dues, and an offer to help (organize, help run meetings/conventions, etc...) I can see where it wouldn't endear you to the organization.

Ironically, I was in Cincinatti about 20 years ago and offered to help at the convention. They were grateful, worked me to death, and I've been involved on a local level ever since.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I don't think anyone said they didn't want to pay their dues.
    Actually, it seems like that's exactly what was said.

I mention volunteering and dues in the same breath, because that is always when the associations say they need volunteers. I can't help but to feel hussled. I used to pay my dues and just call every month to see if I can voluteer. Some of the people actually got sick of me calling, and I got sick of sending in checks.

I dint mind paying dues, but if they dint want my time just more money thats where I draw the line.

When I first joined the Ohio opticians assoc. I phoned the president and offered my services to help in any needed area. He said thanks, you could help by making a check out to the PAC. I did not renew my membership.

Occupation
    Judy come off your high horse. My remark was made as reference to your remark:

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canthy
    Look if an organization is getting nowhere, how do you justify it's existance? I WANT TO HELP MAKE CHANGES TO MAKE THE FIELD BETTER. If I can't drill that into anyones head than why will I pay them to not listen to me, The associations are supposed to be our voice (including mine) yet they don't listen.

Quote this:

I will pay double dues for as long as I am utilized as a volunteer in my association in the hopes of making things better.

Judy I hope this is clear enough for you. :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am neither blind nor deaf...

We've been licensed here in VA since 1954, however we've been trying to institute mandatory continuing education for license renewal for almost 20 years. Every year we try and every year we lose. But we still try. Does that make OAV un-viable? Hardly. I've served on the board of directors in every capacity from regional director to president, volunteered to teach classes at our twice yearly conventions, stuffed envelopes, stuck stamps...what ever is necessary. At this point, I'd rather just send my money and sit somewhere quietly while someone else does the work. Though sitting quietly is not something I do particularly well...I can learn.

BTW...CANTY is the correct spelling.

Occupation
    I am neither blind nor deaf...

We've been licensed here in VA since 1954, however we've been trying to institute mandatory continuing education for license renewal for almost 20 years. Every year we try and every year we lose. But we still try. Does that make OAV un-viable? Hardly. I've served on the board of directors in every capacity from regional director to president, volunteered to teach classes at our twice yearly conventions, stuffed envelopes, stuck stamps...what ever is necessary. At this point, I'd rather just send my money and sit somewhere quietly while someone else does the work. Though sitting quietly is not something I do particularly well...I can learn.

BTW...CANTY is the correct spelling.
    So, then you think I don't deserve an opportunity to volunteer. I don't sit quietly and I don't allow someone to SHUT ME UP so buckle up honey you are in for a long ride if you think thats whats up. My point is clear I would like to do more, and your point is clear as well (from the standpoint of past president of your association) it's a old boys club and I don't belong. Your mentality is just the type of mentality I am sick of. Virginia may be licensed, but what about Maryland, Pennsylvania and the countless others. Your association is doing great and acomplished something, so maybe that is why your point of view is so different than mine, keep in mind that your state being licensed is the minority, I am speaking from a point of view from a state that does not have licensure, I am in the majority. Yet me being in the majority still take what you say into consideration. It's called an open mind, get one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excuse me? Volunteer all you wish. Opticianry needs volunteers with a positive outlook and the willingness to work hard for little if any recognition but rather for the good feeling it generates.

By your own definition, our association is not viable. We haven't accomplished anything since 1978 when we offered the first contact lens competency exam in addition to our dispensing license...1954 to 1978 is what it took. I expect it will take at least that long, if ever, to require continuing education. I'll pay my dues and I'll help when they need me. I'll always be an Optician and I'll always support the associations, state and national, who represent me. I may not like what they do, or how they do it, but I'll support them none the less.

And my mental condition is as fine as anyone else who played with acetone for too many years.

Occupation
    Judy, why don't you call your association and ask if they do have anything that they would need help with and then post it along with contact information then you would be helping instead of hindering.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hindering what?

www.vaopticians.org

It seems to me that the Opticians Association of PA is doing fine. Are you attending their convention at the end of the month? Bev posted a link in the Education forum.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-19-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may not like what they do, or how they do it, but I'll support them none the less.
    I found this statement to be shocking. Do you vote in local and national elections using this same principle?

I think that Harry was saying that using members as volunteers would help foster a sense of Opticainary as a community\family of professionals. Perhaps the people that he has spoken to did not choose their words as careful as they could have. I too would be a bit put off if a wished to help and was told all I was good for was my dues.

Political pressure is most effected by mass numbers of people not just dollars. You mentioned your struggles in VA to set standards for Opticains.

Judy, I say to you that your state would be forced to listen if every Optician was fired up about your cause and was asked to participate in a hands on way.
    Simply saying send us a check and well take care of it will fire up no one.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by akeroptical
    using members as volunteers would help foster a sense of Opticainary as a community\family of professionals.
    Bingo, thank you it's a simple concept and that is part of the point of volunteer work. It is not what I am doing but feeling like I am a part of something bigger.

Hindering what?

www.vaopticians.org

It seems to me that the Opticians Association of PA is doing fine. Are you attending their convention at the end of the month? Bev posted a link in the Education forum.
    You could use your influence as past president to find out whats going on and how people could help instead of using it as a way of stoping dialogue of a problem that is real.

No, I will not be attending the convention. I have no interest in the courses being offered and this is another one of the old boys clubs. Those that live in PA know.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    No, I will not be attending the convention. I have no interest in the courses being offered and this is another one of the old boys clubs. Those that live in PA know.
    ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I'll quote myself...

"Opticianry needs volunteers with a positive outlook and the willingness to work hard for little if any recognition but rather for the good feeling it generates.

I've served on the board of directors in every capacity from regional director to president, volunteered to teach classes at our twice yearly conventions, stuffed envelopes, stuck stamps...what ever is necessary.

I've never been turned down as a volunteer, but that doesn't excuse me from paying dues. Most associations need the operating capital as much or more than they need the volunteers."

Now, boys, read this slowly and carefully.

Volunteers are good. Most grass-roots organizations would not exist without them.

Somebody has to buy the stamps and the printer paper. Someone has to organize the organization and keep it focused. Remember, Opticians can't even agree on a definition of who we are and what we do.

Witholding dues or contributions because the organization isn't run to your liking won't change anything.

Shouting from the sidelines won't change anything. If it did, my 'Skins would have won last Sunday.

Sometimes the best thing a volunteer or would-be volunteer can do is just show up with a positive attitude. Showing up and just complaining won't change anything either.

If you are not satisfied with what your organization is doing, show up at meetings and make your feelings known.

Venting at me won't change anything either.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy, why don't you call your association and ask if they do have anything that they would need help with and then post it along with contact information then you would be helping instead of hindering.
    My husband and I volunteered about $20,000 worth of strategic planning work to OAV about 18 months ago. I don't need suggestions from you about how to spend my time.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think I'll quote myself...

My husband and I volunteered about $20,000 worth of strategic planning work to OAV about 18 months ago.

"Opticianry needs volunteers with a positive outlook and the willingness to work hard for little if any recognition but rather for the good feeling it generates.

I've served on the board of directors in every capacity from regional director to president, volunteered to teach classes at our twice yearly conventions, stuffed envelopes, stuck stamps...what ever is necessary.

My husband and I volunteered about $20,000 worth of strategic planning work to OAV about 18 months ago.

...for little if any recognition but rather for the good feeling it genterates.

;)

Gotta love that "good" feeling!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...for little if any recognition but rather for the good feeling it genterates.

;)

Gotta love that "good" feeling!

You could use your influence as past president to find out whats going on and how people could help instead of using it as a way of stoping dialogue of a problem that is real.
    "My husband and I volunteered about $20,000 worth of strategic planning work to OAV about 18 months ago. I don't need suggestions from you about how to spend my time."

Your point is...?

Thread Information