Thread: jobs in liscensed states

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

jobs in liscensed states

Hello all. I am new here so sorry if this is not in the correct forum. I am currently an optician in Pennsylvania & have been in the field for 12 years but have never taken the ABO exam. I have done everything from managing a retail store,dispensing,selling,running a lab,I&R training & insurance submissions. My family is looking into moving to Georgia,most likely the Atlanta area, & being that is a liscensed state & dont know if I will be able to get a job there without having my liscense. Does anyone from any other liscensed states or specifically GA know what kind of jobs I will be able to apply for within the industry that do not require me to have a liscense? Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalk View Post
    Hello all. I am new here so sorry if this is not in the correct forum. I am currently an optician in Pennsylvania & have been in the field for 12 years but have never taken the ABO exam. I have done everything from managing a retail store,dispensing,selling,running a lab,I&R training & insurance submissions. My family is looking into moving to Georgia,most likely the Atlanta area, & being that is a liscensed state & dont know if I will be able to get a job there without having my liscense. Does anyone from any other liscensed states or specifically GA know what kind of jobs I will be able to apply for within the industry that do not require me to have a liscense? Thanks!
    I apprenticed in GA. I would look into getting your license and talk to some GA employers about your situation. When I was there, as long as there was a license on duty, not every dispenser in the shop was required to have one. But why limit yourself? Get your ABO first, then look at a license.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I got my Georgia license years ago (currently inactive), if you had worked in an unlicensed state for the prior five years and had current NOCE (ABO) and CLRE (NCLE) you could take the Georgia licensure exam. I think that's still the case.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mwalk View Post

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know what the job situation is in Georgia, but I know that in Pennsylvania it sucks!

Here are a few links that might help!

http://www.oagonline.org/

http://sos.georgia.gov/plb/opticians/

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As chair of the Georgia State Dispensing Opticians licensing board, I may be able to answer your questions accurately.:)

The statute changed a few years ago, which now requires a formal registration of apprenticeship before any hours would count toward eligibility to sit for the Georgia practical. You may graduate from an Opticianry program that is recognized by the board...COA schools are all recognized. You may complete the Ophthalmic Career Progression Program (OCPP) through the National Academy of Opticianry. Licensure requires ABO certification, NCLE certification, both must be current at the time of application and licensure and passage of the Georgia State Practical Examination.

Here is the statute regulating Dispensing Opticians in the state of Georgia.

http://sos.georgia.gov/acrobat/PLB/l...ians_43-29.pdf

Hope this helps.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have been in the business that long...you should be able to pass the ABO in your sleep. Can you get a job in a licenses state without one, sure. But, you really raise your market value with an ABO/NCLE.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    If you have been in the business that long...you should be able to pass the ABO in your sleep. Can you get a job in a licenses state without one, sure. But, you really raise your market value with an ABO/NCLE.
    That is not usually the case, although you would think so. If the so-called leadership of the various states would get off their posteriors and establish standards across the country this will continue to be an issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, the ABO and NCLE allow you to get your licensure in Georgia without no license then possibly no job. No job means unemployment. I have a theory that all unemployed opticians go into online opticals . not ethical but hech it solves the opticians uneployment and possibly do it under the table using out of the country credit card machines...avoiding taxes and licenses etc.....I know I would.

CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    Warren, the ABO and NCLE allow you to get your licensure in Georgia without no license then possibly no job. No job means unemployment.CNG
    ABO and NCLE makes up 2/3 of the licensing process in Georgia....one must also pass the practical exam which one is not eligible for without either graduating from a recognized program as I mentioned in my previous post, registering as an apprentice and completing 2 years, 3000 hours or complete the OCPP from the NAO.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, the ABO and NCLE allow you to get your licensure in Georgia without no license then possibly no job. No job means unemployment. I have a theory that all unemployed opticians go into online opticals . not ethical but hech it solves the opticians uneployment and possibly do it under the table using out of the country credit card machines...avoiding taxes and licenses etc.....I know I would.

CNG
    And unless you're liscensed in every state that you sell to, and certified, going into onlie optical isn't possible. You can consult online, but you can not sell.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane still no ABO no NCLE no license anywhere....2/3 that if you dont have you will not get your license in almost all licensed states. If you refer that there is a state written and possibly a state practical then your right but still no abo... no license even if you graduated with honors...

As for online opticals no license required in even 1 state. Sorry pal the web is open territory. I agree with you that they should be licensed but such scheme is not possible. Net speudo opticianry is here to stay. Just make fun of the geeky frames they have and how awful the optics are in most of them. I purchase one from an asian outfit and the progressive was wrong they put two left lenses! And if that wasnt bad one was upside down! Needless to say my brother, another optician lost the bet. Lucky me that they do sometimes crappy jobs.
    CNG
    Last edited by CNG; 04-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    And unless you're liscensed in every state that you sell to, and certified, going into onlie optical isn't possible. You can consult online, but you can not sell.
    Actually you only need to be licensed to dispense, adjust or measure.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can go "work" at any optical in any state that you want to. That is one of the awsome privileges of living in the United States. You just raise the market value of yourself if you get and keep up your ABO and NCLE. Now to make your self more valuable to your employer you need the license of that state you are going to live in. Each state has diffrent requirements to attain that license and to matain it generally requires continuing ed hours.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually in Florida I believe you are licensed to fill, fit adapt and dispense. Very exact words except that they have no jurisdiction in hyperspace.....seriously. The online cra p is legal.
    CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually in Florida I believe you are licensed to fill, fit adapt and dispense. Very exact words except that they have no jurisdiction in hyperspace.....seriously. The online cra p is legal.
    CNG
    Being licensed and board certified in Florida pushing close to 30 years now. The phrase "fill, fit, adapt and dispense applies to being "Board Certified" to do what ever I want to with a contact lens. I can change brands, change base curves, change diameter, change between soft and hard lenses I just cannot change the power of the lens. And if I do any changes I am supposed to look at it under the slitlamp.
    If I only have a "Florida License" I must fill the contact lens EXACTLY as it is written.

Now any time I have gone on a job interview I have always been asked if I have a Florida license, I have never been asked if I was "Board Certified" and it surly has not paid me any more money.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What use to get me in Florida were Certified LDOs who would DROP their ABO/NCLE. And its hard to get all these states to line up when the big national organizations can't agree.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    What use to get me in Florida were Certified LDOs who would DROP their ABO/NCLE. And its hard to get all these states to line up when the big national organizations can't agree.

As long as I continue to practice in this profession I will allways keep up the ABO/NCLE. For all I know I may want to move to a state where only those are any good.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    As long as I continue to practice in this profession I will allways keep up the ABO/NCLE. For all I know I may want to move to a state where only those are any good.
    As I put considerable time and money into earning my certifications, I will keep them active even if I am no longer working in the profession. In today's economy, things can go bad quick, and a backup plan is a good thing to have.

Also, I will keep my dispensing licenses active as well, regardless if I move, or leave the profession or both.
    Last edited by Wes; 04-27-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: License comment
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi CC GREEN,
    You should join Society to Advance Opticianry you have all the requirements. This might help you if you move out of Florida.
    Don Price
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information