Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABO advanced

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO advanced

i set of the ABO advanced on may 20th in durham, nc.....any words of wisdom?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talk to Wes, he is a big proponent of the ABO Advanced (actually, higher education in general). Please post some feedback for those of us who will follow your path in the near future. Good luck!
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Thanks NC. (Nice wedding pix btw)
    At minimum, get a copy of the Advanced Opticians Tutorial published by NAO. Other excellent materials are System for Ophthalmic Dispensing and The Ophthalmic Assistant.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Thanks NC. (Nice wedding pix btw)
    At minimum, get a copy of the Advanced Opticians Tutorial published by NAO. Other excellent materials are System for Ophthalmic Dispensing and The Ophthalmic Assistant.
    I agree...picture, and books. You may want to include Ellen Stoner's Optical Formula Tutorial.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I agree...picture, and books. You may want to include Ellen Stoner's Optical Formula Tutorial.

Diane
    I really appreciate the suggestions. are there any areas you think i should be studying more than others?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by woob View Post
    i set of the ABO advanced on may 20th in durham, nc.....any words of wisdom?
    When it comes time for the test if you have dilligently been studying as you know you should and you know you havea absorbed all that you know you are going to. Then its time to chill, relax and let what happens happen.
    Trust me you are not going to be asked any questions that you do not know already. You are asked about stuff any good optician is doing every day without even thinking about it. And if you do not make it you will then have a great idea as to what to expect when you go for it again so look at it as a learning experience.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The pass rate is extremely low, and you need be aware of that going into the test. Absorb all you can, because contrary to what the poster above says, this is far beyond the average Optician. If you were trained at JSCC, then you should be OK if you review sufficiently. If you trained on your own, you are in for a shock. I wish you good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    The pass rate is extremely low, and you need be aware of that going into the test. Absorb all you can, because contrary to what the poster above says, this is far beyond the average Optician. If you were trained at JSCC, then you should be OK if you review sufficiently. If you trained on your own, you are in for a shock. I wish you good luck.
    What Warren says is true. It is an ADVANCED exam, and if you attended school, you may have enought information to pass if you've been reviewing well. If you are thinking you can cram during the last two weeks and pass, good luck, my friend.

What have you been studying? Have you attended any review courses?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    What Warren says is true. It is an ADVANCED exam, and if you attended school, you may have enought information to pass if you've been reviewing well. If you are thinking you can cram during the last two weeks and pass, good luck, my friend.

What have you been studying? Have you attended any review courses?

Diane
    i have the AOT of course and system for opthalmic dispensing. i have been reviewing this material for about a year now and feel i have a pretty good grasp on everything. however, i have never had a review course but i was given a couple sample test that were very helpful. I was really just wondering if anyone had any insight on specific areas of the test that i should focus on in the next week or so. Again, i do thank everyone for their responses.

Occupation
    If you're an optician's optician, I'd suggest you review the business and Drs lane/pretesting sections in AOT.

Also, see this thread started by Darryl Meister: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ce+master+exam

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you're an optician's optician, I'd suggest you review the business and Drs lane/pretesting sections in AOT.

Also, see this thread started by Darryl Meister: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ce+master+exam
    i really appreciate that. i was actually got my hands on that very practice test just a couple weeks ago. it made me feel pretty good about myself. thanks for the help

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Study up on your weak areas, review your strong ones. And if you don't pass it will show you what areas you need to work on. Good luck!

p.s. Know your formulas and know how to use an algebraic notation calculator. (as opposed to a reverse polish notation calculator). That's the type provided for the test. (you can't take your own in.)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i must say that the test was much different than i imagined it to be....but in a good way....i am very confident in what i did yesterday. thanks to everyone that helped me in any way

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In what way was it much different?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Skip the test is my best advice. You're paying into an organization that stole money and covered it up. Now they have raised fees I have heard. The organization is a cash cow for the OAA and neither organization has provided much value.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Skip the test is my best advice. You're paying into an organization that stole money and covered it up. Now they have raised fees I have heard. The organization is a cash cow for the OAA and neither organization has provided much value.
    Or, another option would be to take the test, pay the fee....once. Then you've demonstrated your competency (through the only national test for it at present) when you pass. From there, it's up to you if you want to keep feeding the bloated beast that is today's ABO.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Or, another option would be to take the test, pay the fee....once. Then you've demonstrated your competency (through the only national test for it at present) when you pass. From there, it's up to you if you want to keep feeding the bloated beast that is today's ABO.
    I haven't put up any of that stuff on the walls in years. I just carry myself accordingly and command the respect I deserve and that seems to be just fine for me.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    In what way was it much different?

after reading wmcdonald's post, and being self trained, i figured i was doomed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was it heavy on optics, or more office management?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Was it heavy on optics, or more office management?
    i would say that 1/4 had to do with management/business, and the rest was optics or the eye itself.

Occupation
    After I took it, I thought: "Comprehensive, but not what I would call difficult". The exam for the NCLE-AC was much more difficult to me, mainly because I am not actively fitting contacts.
    What are your thoughts as to difficulty?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are several different versions of the test. How well you do will depend on your own personal knowlege of that version. I've talked to a few that have taken the test, we all came away with different takes on the questions.....Another reason for uniform curriculum in opticianry.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After I took it, I thought: "Comprehensive, but not what I would call difficult". The exam for the NCLE-AC was much more difficult to me, mainly because I am not actively fitting contacts.
    What are your thoughts as to difficulty?

exactly what you said, i think the test covered everything well. but i wouldn't call it difficult.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    There are several different versions of the test. How well you do will depend on your own personal knowlege of that version. I've talked to a few that have taken the test, we all came away with different takes on the questions.....Another reason for uniform curriculum in opticianry.
    i couldn't agree more...granted, i have only seen one version of the test, but it was like i studied for that exact one

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curt Duff, Chairman of the ABO told me a couple of years ago that they only had a pool of 150 questions for the ABO-AC from which to choose, so you pretty much got the same test every time.

They may have added new questions since then.

Thread Information