Thread: Clear indoors, polarized when exposed to sunlight?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Clear indoors, polarized when exposed to sunlight?

Interesting "gossip" on EyeOverheard.com ... how about a lens that performs like a clear lens indoors and at night, but changes into a polarized lens under the conditions when polarization is needed--as in bright sunlight?

According to EyeOverheard.com, Transitions is planning to launch such an "animal" in 2011.

I wonder how it would work behind the windshield of a car in bright sunlight?

Let the baseless speculation begin!

http://eyeoverheard.wordpress.com/20...zon/#more-7489

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There will be plenty of residual tint, I'm sure. I already have some Trivex polarized photochromic planos in the drawer. It appears to be a regular combination of a photochromic and polarized lens.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    i heard they were just redoing the drivewear lens to change faster and a LITTLE less color in low light conditions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was just gonna say - they already 'invented' Drivewear years ago! :hammer:LOL

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I was just gonna say - they already 'invented' Drivewear years ago! :hammer:LOL
    No, this (what I'm saying) would be different. Because Drivewear is not ever clear and you wouldn't want to be wearing Drivewear lenses indoors or outside at night or for driving at night.

I think this could be a significant new offering, if it is as I imagine it from the EyeOverheard.com posting.

If it actually worked as nicely as it could work (in theory), it would be one lens that you could wear 24/7--indoors and outdoors at night or driving at night and also outdoors and driving during the day in bright sun and daylight glare conditions.

The first thing that I don't know about it is whether it would respond to visible light or only to UV light.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not buyin it - particularly from that site. :p:shiner: The concept is nice to dream about, but in practice, well.....

I'd love to see something revolutionary come out of Younger and Transitions if they truly do have some magical lens that does all things well. But as with so many things in our world, from cars, to lawyers, to sub woofers, to stock portfolios, to combo meal menu's at your favorite fast food dive, even Trivex (shout out to you brother fezz me boyo!)...there is rarely a single 'golden bullet' that works perfectly in every possible situation. Here's to hoping we're at least moving in the right direction! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    No, this (what I'm saying) would be different. Because Drivewear is not ever clear and you wouldn't want to be wearing Drivewear lenses indoors or outside at night or for driving at night.

I think this could be a significant new offering, if it is as I imagine it from the EyeOverheard.com posting.

If it actually worked as nicely as it could work (in theory), it would be one lens that you could wear 24/7--indoors and outdoors at night or driving at night and also outdoors and driving during the day in bright sun and daylight glare conditions.

The first thing that I don't know about it is whether it would respond to visible light or only to UV light.

The it would be dark all the time.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you look at the picture, you can clearly see that it has tint and you can see the axis indentations from the embedded polarized film. I think the writer just misspoke when he said celar indoors dark out, as that is primarily referring to the Transitions part. I do not think it has no polarization indoors and is polarized outdoors. Though maybe someone has an idea where they could maybe rotate a flattened molecule to produce polarization at will. (Poor Will, everyone's always shooting at him. :D)
    In short, it's a marriage of two current technologies, not a groundbreaking new one.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    If you look at the picture, you can clearly see that it has tint and you can see the axis indentations from the embedded polarized film. I think the writer just misspoke when he said celar indoors dark out, as that is primarily referring to the Transitions part. I do not think it has no polarization indoors and is polarized outdoors. Though maybe someone has an idea where they could maybe rotate a flattened molecule to produce polarization at will. (Poor Will, everyone's always shooting at him. :D)
    In short, it's a marriage of two current technologies, not a groundbreaking new one.

Well polarization only works with color so technically it could work. The concern I see is that the polarizing film with have to be made in transitions. I'm not so sure thats a feasable product but what do I know of lens manufacturing.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What they've done in the past is to just have the Transitions as the front wafer in the lamination/mold, not the polarized film.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I understand Polarization, the amount of polarization is directly related to color itensity. If the lens is clear indoors their could not be any polarization in the lens at all. While transitions darken it is not possible to suddenly make the polarization appear. Hence Gray A vs Gray C. Gray A has less polarizing effect than Gray C. What's up with this bogus claim on that website. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Transitions

Mt transition rep told me last week that they are coming out with a transition lens that changes by sunlight not UV. She never said anything about polarized. She also said it was coming out in March.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    Mt transition rep told me last week that they are coming out with a transition lens that changes by sunlight not UV. She never said anything about polarized. She also said it was coming out in March.
    The lens is called Experio. There's a web training thing happening next Thursday just go to www.experio.com/training and sign up.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by eyedude View Post
    It is the new transitions extractive. It is supposed to activate on a more broad spectrum of light. Rumor has it that it will activate in the car which should be a huge plus for those drivers out there.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    It is the new transitions extractive. It is supposed to activate on a more broad spectrum of light. Rumor has it that it will activate in the car which should be a huge plus for those drivers out there.

Kinda like New Improved Non-Polarized Drivewear?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

If it activates with visible light then wont it be dark in any lighted enviroment?

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    If it activates with visible light then wont it be dark in any lighted enviroment?

Ditto that...don't understand how otherwise would be possible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My understanding is that it is just like the old XtraActive, except it doesn't have as much residual color (think Trans III vs. Trans IV).
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Thread Information