Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Well, here's a new one....

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    The way that I see it...

I don't go into a shoe store and say, "This is the best deal you can give me?"
    I don't go into an oil change place and say, "Well the place around the corner gave it to me for free!"
    I don't walk into a restaurant and say, "I'm friends twice removed of the owner and I should get a discount."

And also the last time I checked (looks around again) we aren't Wal-Mart and we do not PRICE MATCH glasses!
    When I worked at this place we had our RM come didn't know a temple from a screw driver but they were the RM. They proceed to tell a lady what looked and didn't. After they left I had to diplomatically re-do everything they did. Why is it we hire mechanics to fix cars or hire people in the auto industry to over see car fixing but we hire in optical anybody from diaper world to toilet bowl salesmen and expect great results. Boggles the mind.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Why?

Most "opticians" enter the field looking for a JOB. Any job.

Most "opticians" don't know jack about opticianry, let alone management.

Most "opticians" in licensing states learn from another "optician" who knows little through an apprenticeship program.

Most "opticians" are high school graduates. There are a few with business degrees, but they are rare. There are a few more with business sense, and most of them can be found here. Talk to Johns, Braheem, Barry, etc.
    Most RMs, DMs, and the like have business education and upper management backgrounds. Few "opticians" have this. "Opticians" may think they can run businesses, but I doubt most of them could survive long in upper level corporate opticals. They just don't know the lingo. Independents, sure.
    That's why.

Want it to change? Go to school, get a real education and come back to the business as upper management and help fix the problem.

Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 01-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you really think business school would teach them the difference beween a temple and a screwdriver?

And yes, I am one of those opticians with little or no hold on the business and management of things even though I own the place. But I do know about most optical stuff.

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Do you really think business school would teach them the difference beween a temple and a screwdriver?

And yes, I am one of those opticians with little or no hold on the business and management of things even though I own the place. But I do know about most optical stuff.

Chip
    Most RMs and DMs I've met knew less about opticianry than most "opticians" I've met, which isn't much. But they usually know a h3ll of a lot more about business. What we need are REAL Opticians educated in business in these positions.

Also, Chip, you're not an "optician". You're an Optician. The REAL kind. But I doubt you'd do too well as a corporate guy. You'd tell the wrong knucklehead off, and then...

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Why?

Most "opticians" enter the field looking for a JOB. Any job.

Most "opticians" don't know jack about opticianry, let alone management.

Most "opticians" in licensing states learn from another "optician" who knows little through an apprenticeship program.

Most "opticians" are high school graduates. There are a few with business degrees, but they are rare. There are a few more with business sense, and most of them can
    be found here. Talk to Johns, Braheem, Barry, etc.

Most RMs, DMs, and the like have business education and upper management backgrounds. Few "opticians" have this. "Opticians" may think they can run businesses, but I doubt most of them could survive long in upper level corporate opticals. They just don't know the lingo. Independents, sure.
    That's why.

Want it to change? Go to school, get a real education and come back to the
    business as upper management and help fix the problem.

Wes

I agree with you. So why do all the boxes seem to hire only people outside the field too oversee people in the field? :hammer:

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a guy one time wanted to flip a coin double or nothing to impress his lady. I took him up on it, he lost, he paid and never wanted to do it again.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by eye2 View Post
    I agree with you. So why do all the boxes seem to hire only people outside the field too oversee people in the field? :hammer:
    RMs and DMs SHOULD be well educated in opticianry, but they don't HAVE to be. When a large optical chain is looking for senior management, they look for people with senior management skills and education. Opticianry knowledge is a secondary concern for them. They HAVE to be educated in business. Most opticians are not. How many opticians do you know with degrees in business (or otherwise)? I know a few, but the vast majority do not have formal education. You don't see many highly qualified opticians with business degrees in RM and DM positions, and that's probably a good thing for independents. It might be pretty ugly for them to have an ABOM with an MBA running a chain (Costco, Walmart, etc) of stores in a metro area.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    RMs and DMs SHOULD be well educated in opticianry, but they don't HAVE to be. When a large optical chain is looking for senior management, they look for people with senior management skills and education. Opticianry knowledge is a secondary concern for them. They HAVE to be educated in business. Most opticians are not. How many opticians do you know with degrees in business (or otherwise)? I know a few, but the vast majority do not have formal education. You don't see many highly qualified opticians with business degrees in RM and DM positions, and that's probably a good thing for independents. It might be pretty ugly for them to have an ABOM with an MBA running a chain (Costco, Walmart, etc) of stores in a metro area.

Problem is from what I hear is it drives the opticians crazy because if they talk shop these RM's can't follow because they don't know a pd stick from slap stick. From what I hear frustration in some of the big boxes is at an all time high. :hammer:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Keri_Leigh27 View Post
    Are you guys sitting outside of my office today? Good lord!

I had a patient ask me to do the exact same thing today. "Well, I forgot to use my flexible spending money and I have $1000 left so can you just back date it?" I said "Unfortunately, I cannot back date an insurance claim because that's illegal and I can lose my job and if we were to ever be audited..the DR would lose her license" Her response, "So I don't understand why you can't do this for me" I looked at her and said that I like my job and I don't want to get fired. Of course she got upset and huffy at me. Again, some people have 0 concept of life..period. Certainly, I'll risk getting fired because YOU forgot you have ONE THOUSAND dollars in your flex account! *rolls eyes* :hammer:
    My doctor always told the patient he wasn't willing to go to jail just because they wanted to commit fraud. end of discussion.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    my doctor always told the patient he wasn't willing to go to jail just because they wanted to commit fraud. End of discussion.
    bingo!

Thread Information