Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on at Luxotica

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused What's going on at Luxotica

Just got word that a lot of reps were told to "walk". Is Luxotica having problems?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been in this for more than 25 years, and that "word" has been heard every year. Actually, it's not a Luxotica thing, but rather the nature of the business. There are cycles to everything.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My doctor just told me to walk!

Is something going on?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luxottica is the problem. I feel they have grown to big like a few box stores we all know and have become accustom to running rough shod over those who helped them get to their size. At their size they make the rules and you play the game their way. Anyone who accepts medicare knows how that is.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luxottica is winning the optical monopoly. HOW they're doing it is a disgrace.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is time for the spring shuffle of brands from one manufacturer to another, so brand names change hands and sometimes so do reps. At least that's my thought.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Is something going on?
    Yeah, maybe he's going to suggest Pilates next!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Is the long mooted sale to Essilor completing, Lux is in the process of closing 20% of it's Aussie stores.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Is something going on?
    The FEZZJohns Yoga Mats can't be far behind!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    How are they doing it that's disgraceful? I am not a fan of them at all, but have they done anything unethical and/or illegal?

What I find disgraceful is how many people are still buying from their competition. It's actually genious on the part of Lux, but not som much on the part of ECPs.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    How are they doing it that's disgraceful? I am not a fan of them at all, but have they done anything unethical and/or illegal?

What I find disgraceful is how many people are still buying from their competition. It's actually genious on the part of Lux, but not som much on the part of ECPs.
    Well said. short sighted ECPs are really their own worst enemy. How long does anyone think it would take for the "premium" eyewear brands (Prada, Bulgari D+G etc) to drop Lux if the only places they were available is at Lenscrafters and Pearle? How many people would aspire to own Luis Vuitton bags or luggage if it was carried exclusively at Walmart?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Able!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Whenever some new VP takes over (about every 3 months) they feel the need to stir things up, blow the dust around and pretend they are being effective.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I don't think they are winning. Like The Tower of Pisa they are leaning a little lower every year... its only a matter of time before they follow AO and B&L into the path of mediocrity and soon after oblivion. Oh, they have already become mediocre so they are far along that road.

Except for Ray-ban and Prada they are almost non-existent here in the Northwest of the US. Polo anyone? They destroyed one of the most iconic eye wear brands in the US in less than 3 months.

Go through their brand portfolio one by one and the first words that come to mind for each one are "jumped the shark".

I will expect a resurgent Safilo to steal a brand or two next year. A few other will chomp at the bit here and there. Once the first defections start, they will emphasize owned lines over licensed ones because of higher margins, and this will **** off more of the licensed ones, increasing defections. Its a viscous cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper not what you have been made to think is best..............................

Quote Originally Posted by morinput View Post

Well said. short sighted ECPs are really their own worst enemy. How long does anyone think it would take for the "premium" eyewear brands (Prada, Bulgari D+G etc) to drop Lux if the only places they were available is at Lenscrafters and Pearle? How many people would aspire to own Luis Vuitton bags or luggage if it was carried exclusively at Walmart?

Abeve statement is incorrect. While the US market is important to a so called manufacturer but it is not the most important one. It was the easiest one for a long time.

These days where other countries have developed to standards in our field that surpass this field by a long shot by population and industrial resources overseas, have become much more important to them. The USA is no more the dream land of every manufacturer to make the best sales.

Furthermore your premium brands are the biggest perception ever in the optical trade. A manufacturer will sell and has been forever sell the same frame in one country as a premium branded one at triple the price in one country and as a regular non branded one in another.

The one time I was involved with such a sceem was when my company was the L'AMY distributor for 20 years in Canada and we introduced successfully the Emanuel UNGARO frames in Canada, while L'AMY sold the same frames in the USA for 70% less as regular stock frames under their own name. It came out in the open when we run short on stock, they could not supply and offered their USA models (no brand names) to help us out.

The same politics rules also with lens manufacturers. They sell the same lenses under different namesn, in different packages at differenet prices and you people go for it, and swear by what you believe is reality. In order to get the confusion going the same lenses you buy in North America are sold in other countries under different names and prices. The worst is when they sell you the same lens or AR coatings under different models.

I started to sell UV protection products in 1982 by introducing a concentrate in a package of 2 bottles at the price very few others sold them in quart bottles for one bottle. I did well with them. A couple of years later one large US distributor wanted me (under their own label) to supply them in quart bottles, which we did in huge quantities. Same amount of UV material and 80% more water at double the price.
    Bigger is better is the motto in the USA and many retailers swore that the bigger bottle would give better quality results than the concentrate where they had to add their own water.

In all the different threads about more education nobody talks about educating the profession on learning what the markets offer and how to and where to purchase products and get the best, and not what you have been made to think is best.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Above statement is incorrect. While the US market is important to a so called manufacturer but it is not the most important one. It was the easiest one for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    In all the different threads about more education nobody talks about educating the profession on learning what the markets offer and how to and where to purchase products and get the best, and not what you have been made to think is best.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    we introduced successfully the Emanuel UNGARO frames in Canada, while L'AMY sold the same frames in the USA for 70% less as regular stock frames under their own name. It came out in the open when we run short on stock, they could not supply and offered their USA models (no brand names) to help us out.
    Why was this a surprise to anyone? This is really no different than paying an extra $25 or $50 for a designer label shirt compared to the same quality shirt without the label. You're paying the premium for the brandname, not just the materials. And the designer label or brandname commands a higher dollar from the consumer. It is really no different in any other consumer goods industry.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got a letter yesterday; they took lines away from reps, fired some, hired some and ****** off everybody who works for them again. Just another day in the life of corporate Italy.
    Our Prada rep lost Prada got got Burberry! I am sure she is thrilled to lose one she built up and start again.

I contacted them to get Chanel and they told me we cannot have just RayBan and Chanel; no cherry picking is allowed until we commit to all the luxury brands.
    Go jump in a lake!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Got a letter yesterday; they took lines away from reps, fired some, hired some and ****** off everybody who works for them again. Just another day in the life of corporate Italy.
    Our Prada rep lost Prada got got Burberry! I am sure she is thrilled to lose one she built up and start again.

I contacted them to get Chanel and they told me we cannot have just RayBan and Chanel; no cherry picking is allowed until we commit to all the luxury brands.
    Go jump in a lake!
    Craig,

Why don't you just tell them that you are an online retailer? They'll be shipping to you tomorrow.

Hopefully, more folks like you will continue to tell them to "Go jump in a lake". They need places like yours (and a few of mine) to serve as "fitting rooms" for all their onliners. As we've all said over and over, the brand is built in our offices/stores. Without us, they really have no credibility.

Of course, they still have their LC stores, but they are far from being viewed as a source of prestige.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That would be funny to get the collections for my online business and not my super luxury retail locations! I told them they would be the low end in the store and they said we need to prove to them we can sell luxury products.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    Just got word that a lot of reps were told to "walk". Is Luxotica having problems?
    Big companies change things up about every 6 to 18 months because the market changes. Lux is having no problems at all, unless you call sales so strong their inventory levels a little low right now. Less than 15 reps were let go nationwide. Big companies also seperate the wheat from the chaff about the same time frame.

Essilor could never buy Luxottica.

Brands shuffle about every 10 years. Marchon lost Coach and picked up Ferragamo from Lux. Who do you think won out on that exchange? Safilo lost Armani and Nine West and replaced them with Polaroid? Which do you think was stronger.

Luxottica sales are extremely strong and growing every quarter.

Brands that mean something to the consumer are where the market is right now, and Lux, love them or hate them, has the brands consumers seek.

I am a very happy rep working for them and everybody I know is very happy working for the company.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    Essilor could never buy Luxottica.
    I keep telling these people that it would be more likely that Lux would buy Essilor.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz and I might buy them both...just for grins.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Fezz and I might buy them both...just for grins.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    [QUOTE=rep;420197]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I keep telling these people that it would be more likely that Lux would buy Essilor.
    You're likely right if it were to ever happen. Most people however don't realize where each player falls in the stack ranking of companies in this space.

What I bet you will see in the next 12-18 months is Lux to pull all of it's lab work out of the US and move it to their new facility being built in China. Ask any of their current or ex lab executives and you will hear the details. Desktop Digital units are being put in stores to help reinforce their 1hr motto as are the spin coat AR systems. You'll likely see them dump Sears as well.

Thread Information