Thread: Huvitz MRK3100P Autorefractor

OptiBoard Novice

Huvitz MRK3100P Autorefractor

I was wondering if anybody knows of any web site that reviews autorefractors. I have been trying this Korean-made Huvitz MRK3100P autorefractor/keratometer for about a week now, and its accuracy is just not quite there. I don't know if the problem is with this particular machine, or with the brand overall.

OptiBoard Novice
    I am also using the same model and I am also having the same problem.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    My friend's shop in China had used that instrument and encountered problems as well. The technician had to re-calibrate the unit and I believe that solved the problem.

Doc

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    just got this one in for about couple weeks too. It seems like it fogged a little too much. Had one patient that her's true rx is around a -2.50 and it showed -2.00 on the reading. Anyone know how to recalibrate this machine? since it is not in the manual.

The reading off the model eye is correct though. I'm awaiting their response from the support emails.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by snv
    just got this one in for about couple weeks too. It seems like it fogged a little too much. Had one patient that her's true rx is around a -2.50 and it showed -2.00 on the reading. Anyone know how to recalibrate this machine? since it is not in the manual.

The reading off the model eye is correct though. I'm awaiting their response from the support emails.
    FWIW I have a Huvitz focimeter and am very happy with it, I believe they are made by LG,
    hope you sort your autorefractors.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About a year ago I thought about buying one....but I have not because in the past when I buy equipment I do not get a techician to come SET IT UP!! uSUALLY IN SHIPPING IT GETS BOUNCED AROUND AND WHEN WE TRY TO make it work it doesn't.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    FWIW I have a Huvitz focimeter and am very happy with it, I believe they are made by LG,
    hope you sort your autorefractors.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Just for the boards information; much of the branded equipment is sold in China (Huvitz, Nidek, Topcon) and I believe the prices are much lower than the states.

Last year I saw a new piece of equipment that I thought was pretty cool. I cannot recall if it was made by Nidek or Topcon. It may have been called vision tester. Built in auto R/K and phoroptor and the refraction was performed by the computer asking the questions. The patient had to respond using hand controls. Price tag ~ 60,000USD.

Doc

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Not so Accurate

I've had one for a couple years. I've complained since day one that it is not as accurate as my 14 year old Canon. K readings seem accurate and it is one of the only units to measure pupil size in near darkness, a good things for a LASIK workup. But it simply has wild fluctuations and tolerances on autorefraction, sometimes off by a couple diopters for no apparent reason. I can't depend on the unit to give me accurate readings. When I spoke with the company (again) last month, they said there is a software update that might help and that they would send it. True to their performance, I haven't received it yet. I wouldn't buy anything from this company again.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would not buy anything from an asian company without a total moneyback guarantee. I bought 2 autorefractors from China three years ago. They do not work!

Our local companies usually back up their product.

Quote Originally Posted by Foveator
    I've had one for a couple years. I've complained since day one that it is not as accurate as my 14 year old Canon. K readings seem accurate and it is one of the only units to measure pupil size in near darkness, a good things for a LASIK workup. But it simply has wild fluctuations and tolerances on autorefraction, sometimes off by a couple diopters for no apparent reason. I can't depend on the unit to give me accurate readings. When I spoke with the company (again) last month, they said there is a software update that might help and that they would send it. True to their performance, I haven't received it yet. I wouldn't buy anything from this company again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy
    I would not buy anything from an asian company without a total moneyback guarantee. I bought 2 autorefractors from China three years ago. They do not work!

Our local companies usually back up their product.
    I would have to agree about the auto products made in China at this point. We have tested many (lensmeters, A/R, etc) and have found them to be ....imperfect.

Doc

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    this is their replied to the autorefractor problems.

> We are very sorry for your inconvenience.
    >
    > You can shift spherical measurement value in 'user setup' mode.
    > If you set D-SFT value, this is added with spherical value.
    > 1. Enter the 'user setup mode' : Press 'MODE' button for a few
    second
    > 2. Select D-SFT : Press 'DISP' button until D-SFT is selected
    > 3. Change value : Change D-SFT value by using arrow keys (¢¸ and
    ¢º)
    > 4. Save changes : Press 'Ret. ILLUM' button
    > 5. Quit to the 'measurement mode' : Press 'IOL' button
    >
    > If you want check/calibrate other things, please contact your local
    > distributors,
    > because in some case more model eyes are needed and calibration
    method is
    > complex.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Lee Han-Chul(hclee@huvitz.com)

--------------------

So basically, they tell me to increased the value to -0.50 DSFT value becaused it keep fogging around that amount.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've used this autorefactor/keratometer as well as lots of other autorefactor/keratometer. The unit works fine. It's the technician that is performing the test. You have to make sure that there's adequate light in the room. Not too dark and not too bright. The patient has to have their forhead all the way in. It's better to have the unit auto take the measurements then you manually pushing the button. It's harder because the center is a small focus hole that you have to allign the pupil reflex. It takes time.

My personal favorite is the Nidek 730A. If you want speed and ease of use try the Cannon TX (or something like it, I can't seem to recall the exact model). All you have to do is push start. It's about 0.25 to 0.50 D off but you can get this via subjective. By the way, I'm an OD and I do all of my pretest myself.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our auto refractor has been giving us really off the chart results, (-7.50D of cyl when in fact is was only -0.50D). Any thoughts?
    -Karen

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Foveator View Post
    Though the accuracy for diopters is not satisfied, the axis result is quite good anyway for most autorefractors, in spite of the brand.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow. I was just discussing my problems with this machine in another thread:Has anyone bought from Veatch Ophthalmic Instruments?

My machine was called "Charops" when I got it from Veatch. I've had to repair or replace the printer approximately every six months. (Thanks for nothing, Veatch!)

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020Karen View Post
    Our auto refractor has been giving us really off the chart results, (-7.50D of cyl when in fact is was only -0.50D). Any thoughts?
    We have a hand held Welch-Allyn. It gives the axis right on most of the time but gives erratic readings. Depends on many factors that may change the reading. Eyelashes, improper position etc.

Thread Information