This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
    A veritable potpourri of the very institutions who have lowered opticianry's status quo nationwide. An open mind would be far easier were it not these very same that caused much of the problem in the first place. And for those of us who don't "pray" (which I certainly won't be here): "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid!" ;)
    Now I'm not religious either, but you're quoting a guy who couldn't have been more wrong.

Studies show that proper use of analogy in standardized testing correlates with higher intellect.
    Last edited by Wes; 03-27-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Its always interesting to see how this meeting plays out and how will it benefit opticians...I for one believe that we must defunct all the organizations that have failed us into a new one which is more representative of the licensed states, academia and the non licensed states. A new testing system is coming down the pipes in which external players have made an entrance into the opticianry turf and its raising concerns.

Laurie, please take our voice to this meeting and tell them that we only want professional graduate opticians from colleges to ensure that we actually have a future and that we will not settle for less. No new practical testings or new abo or new anything. We simply want professional graduated opticians as the only means to practice.No moving forward without this.
      CNG

Comment

Those that have taken their time, sweat and money to help their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the right.

Those that have contributed zero time to their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the left.

Now, all those on the left side, shut up! What have you done to help opticianry? Don't like what's going on, on a local, state or national level? Why don't you do something about it like run for an office or position to change things? It's kinda like voting in elections...If you don't vote, you don't have a right to b*tch about the outcome! If you don't like something, what are you gonna do about it...Just sit and b*tch?

Now I'm not crazy about a lot of things nor organizations in opticianry, but I have no right to gripe unless I'm willing to stand up and do something about it. What are you gonna do?

Comment

Originally posted by optical24/7 View Post
          Those that have taken their time, sweat and money to help their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the right.

Those that have contributed zero time to their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the left.

Now, all those on the left side, shut up! What have you done to help opticianry? Don't like what's going on, on a local, state or national level? Why don't you do something about it like run for an office or position to change things? It's kinda like voting in elections...If you don't vote, you don't have a right to b*tch about the outcome! If you don't like something, what are you gonna do about it...Just sit and b*tch?

Now I'm not crazy about a lot of things nor organizations in opticianry, but I have no right to gripe unless I'm willing to stand up and do something about it. What are you gonna do?
          Amen brother!

Originally posted by CNG View Post
          Its always interesting to see how this meeting plays out and how will it benefit opticians...I for one believe that we must defunct all the organizations that have failed us into a new one which is more representative of the licensed states, academia and the non licensed states. A new testing system is coming down the pipes in which external players have made an entrance into the opticianry turf and its raising concerns.

Laurie, please take our voice to this meeting and tell them that we only want professional graduate opticians from colleges to ensure that we actually have a future and that we will not settle for less. No new practical testings or new abo or new anything. We simply want professional graduated opticians as the only means to practice.No moving forward without this.
          CNG
          It's a bit of wishful thinking to assume any bureaucracy will vote to dissolve itself. The organizations will not be going away. The key is finding ways for us to all work together to make what we want a reality. Organizations can change voluntarily, but they don't disband voluntarily.

Comment

I would like to see a representative from the AOA and from Luxottica invited otherwise it's just really a sham. Since the two organizations I have pointed out have done more to our profession then any of the ones that supposedly represent it, I think any plan should be run by or OK through them.
            http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
            Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
            Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Comment

I understand Optometry and the corporate organizations will be represented.

Comment

Originally posted by wmcdonald View Post
                I understand Optometry and the corporate organizations will be represented.
                Then the possibility of change may exists, I will wait anxiously.
                http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
                Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
                Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Comment

Now this is something that every Optician on this board should be behind. The success of this endeavour can only be a positive for Profesional Opticians.

I would love to hear POSITIVE suggestions from the board.

Naysayers, please keep it to yourselves.

Everyone, please keep in mind that changes like these are evolutionary, and occur slowly over time. Nothing major will happen overnight, but it will happen, with or without our input. This is our opportunity to guide that process in a positive way.

http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/opticianrysummit/

"Summit Purpose:

To create a shared vision for opticianry, a practical strategic plan and commitment to action
                  Today's optical industry is on the verge of major changes in healthcare and technology. Future healthcare reform may impact the role of the optician. Exciting new and future instrumentation, lens, and frame technologies will also require opticians to be not only technically savvy, but fashion and sales conscious as well. Since opticians play a major role in helping people look and see their best, it is time to plan for the next decade and create a strategic plan to ensure competent opticians and firmly establish the profession as eyewear and eye care experts and consultants.
                  Currently, each opticianry organization works to improve the quality of opticians from its own mission and perspective. Sometimes this results in organizations working in different directions and occasionally at cross purposes. When organizations of an industry and their members are not aligned toward a common goal, it can waste time, effort, resources, cause frustration and result in a lack of progress. It doesn't feel good and there is a cost.
                  In order to truly move the profession of opticianry forward, we need alignment and getting everyone "travelling" in the same direction. This means understanding and meeting the needs of each segment of the industry: associations, societies, retailers and educators alike.
                  It means being involved in finding common ground and working from there to establish a vision and strategic plan that will benefit professionals and consumers alike. It requires cooperation, coordination and alignment.

Summit Goals:

The Summit is being designed to enable participants to produce:
                  1. A shared vision of what opticianry should be by 2020 that includes
                    1. A vision of the optician of the future and the competencies that person will need
                    2. A vision for an educational curriculum that prepares today's optician for the demands of tomorrow in order to provide better service to the public
                  2. A strategic plan containing
                    1. Strategic goals and objectives
                    2. Implementation steps that are practical and realistic, and with implementation commitments from participants at the Summit
                  3. A plan for obtaining the commitment of key stakeholders
                  4. A process to monitor progress and make needed adjustments
                  5. A commitment to continued planning and progress in the years to come

Suggested Reading & Resources

Downloadable Reading

The State of Opticianry White Paper
                  Eyewear Sales Trends - 2011
                  Safety and Compliance of Prescription Spectacles Ordered by the Public via the Internet - 2011
                  OAA Internet Retailing Survey - 2011
                  Get Ready for Online Refraction: The Fourth O

Resources from Around the Web

Opticians Association of America - Current State Licensing Requirements

Relevant Data Highlights

Licensing Data
                  • There are 30,000 ABO cetificants and 10,000 NCLE certificants
                  • In 2011 ABO tested 4,800 individuals and NCLE tested 1,700
                  General Population Data
                  • 151.4 million U.S. adults currently use Rx Eyeglasses
                  • 27.2 million U.S. adults currently use OTC Readers
                  • 203.3 million U.S adults currently use Plano Sunglasses
                  • 37.6 million U.S. adults currently use Contact Lenses
                  • 26.2 million U.S. adults currently use Rx Sunglasses
                  *Statistics provided by The Vision Council's VisionWatch Report on Vision Correction Usage (December 2011)
                  Future Demand for Eye Care
                  • 19.6% of consumers ages 18+ surveyed said they were planning on having an eye exam in the next 3 months. As a comparison, in December of 2010, 18.9% of consumers said they planned on having an eye exam in the next 3 months; so the number is rising.
                  *Statistics provided by The Vision Council's Consumer Barometer Report (December 2011)"

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
                    Make up your own mind if they qualify for an optical summit............................................They are both driven by commercial interest's.
                    Chris: I'm not sure what you mean by this. If opticians don't offer commercial value, just what value do you believe they will command?

B

Comment

Originally posted by PhiTrace View Post
                      I would like to see a representative from the AOA and from Luxottica invited otherwise it's just really a sham. Since the two organizations I have pointed out have done more to our profession then any of the ones that supposedly represent it...
                      No truer words were ever spoken.
                      Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

I step in because optometry is supposedly represented.

1. The AOA is a joke. Every optometrist knows this. Enjoy their company.
                        2. Elistism vs. populism. Just sayin'. All committees, boards, and officers are worth doody. What matters is what rank and file think.
                        3. The solution to opticianry's "identity" is simple: look to the market to see what the public needs. I see a need for somebody, anybody, who knows something about optics and general optical operations and isn't a pawn of a slick advertising campaign.
                        4. As to economic viability of the profession, that's a tougher nut to crack, but the answer is individual entrepreneurial ability.

Comment

So many public College educators already have stated their curriculum preference... the 19th century model of a 2-years program duration . AAS of two (2)-years program duration is the mantra. No matter what any opticianry school puts into their program, make sure it remains a 2-year course duration.

Well surprise, surprise... we are now in the 21st

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post
                            As to economic viability of the profession, that's a tougher nut to crack, but the answer is individual entrepreneurial ability.
                            This answer has been VERIFIED!

A BIG +1!

B

Comment

Not invited, but have friends who will be there. I am hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurie View Post
                                sigh....

We will be successful with or without positive opinions/vibes from the gallery. Fezz, while I think you are nice guy and a great optician, you think it is BS because YOU were not personally invited? Really?

Every time I am tempted to post here, negative mud-slinging reminds me why I refrain.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors. As for myself, I will remain positive and work hard and volunteer on Opticianry's behalf. What are you doing?

Laurie
                                I understand how frustrating it is to read some of the garbage and meanness that is posted, but you are one of my favorites in the industry and I need you! You are looking out for the best possible interests of many folks-students, facility, consumers, companies of technology and hopefully yourself as well in addition to all of your optical world! This is not easy on such a tiny lady, but you are up to the task and we will go forward.

The future for my stores is brighter than ever and we need folks like you to help keep the training going towards the future. Just pity the ignorant and let them die a slow optical death.

I love the internet for glasses and cannot wait for VSP to have it's entire offering available on-line. The only one's left standing will be properly run opticals in all price arenas and MD's. The time is perfect for the independent to thrive again and prosper as the times change.

Comment

Working...
                                X