Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange but True: You can easily remove most scratches from 1.60 and 1.66 product

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Redhot Jumper Strange but True: You can easily remove most scratches from 1.60 and 1.66 product

Strange but True: You can easily remove most scratches from 1.60 and 1.66 product with a bowl of water and a microwave.
    Here's how:
    1. Place scratched lens(es) in a bowl of water. Use enough water to ensure the lenses remain covered during the heating period.
    Important: Do not microwave AR coated lenses.
    2. If multiple lenses are placed in the same bowl, make sure the lenses do not touch one another.
    3. Heat the bowl of water containing the lenses in the microwave for 5 minutes on "high."
    4. Allow the lenses to cool in the water for 10 to 15 minutes before handling.
    5. Remove the lenses from the water and the scatches will have disappeared!
    Has any one tried this and does it work?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Never tried but when you have orange peel from the polishing this will work,.............but scratches I doubt it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    High index lenses (1.6, 1.67, etc.) come with AR coating 99.9999% of the time and to order them without it is very rare around here (i have never seen it done).

If you do this with an AR coated lens you will ruin the AR coating due to overheating.

Many 1.67 lenses are made from the MR-7 material which has a heat distortion temperature of 85 degrees Celsius.
    Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius --> MR-7 lenses will be damaged.
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 01-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    yes you can not do this with ar as it is stated Important: Do not microwave AR coated lenses

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    yes you can not do this with ar as it is stated Important: Do not microwave AR coated lenses
    .............and do not leave them on the dash of your car................................

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    or put them in a hot oven

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, I'm an experiment junkie. I just conducted this with a 1.60 w/src only (no ar) stock lens I had. I used 1500 grit sandpaper to lightly scratch the front surface. ( it looked like very fine cleaning scratches.)

Still just as scratched afterwards as before the treatment described above. Common sense told me that the SRC was what scratched, not the material. If you could repair an SRC like this, it would work on any (or most ) SRC's.

So, not strange nor true.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Ok, I'm an experiment junkie. I just conducted this with a 1.60 w/src only (no ar) stock lens I had. I used 1500 grit sandpaper to lightly scratch the front surface. ( it looked like very fine cleaning scratches.)

Still just as scratched afterwards as before the treatment described above. Common sense told me that the SRC was what scratched, not the material. If you could repair an SRC like this, it would work on any (or most ) SRC's.

So, not strange nor true.
    Could you further prove/disprove the "spray them with Pledge furniture polish" and report the results?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I already know the answer to that Fester. You can use Johnson Floor Wax, the hard kind in a can (if they still make it.) It will cover very fine, hairline scratches. The scratch does have to be fairly light and on a non-AR lens. It will fill in the scratch and make it hardly noticeable. But it will come off with cleaning.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    You can also cover the scratches with a China Marker, and then wipe clean. The scratches will temporarily disappear. "Not that Ive ever done that" to get something past the final rejector...I mean inspector :)
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It's like an episode of mythbusters... I have one for you guys when I have more time!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I already know the answer to that Fester. You can use Johnson Floor Wax, the hard kind in a can (if they still make it.) It will cover very fine, hairline scratches. The scratch does have to be fairly light and on a non-AR lens. It will fill in the scratch and make it hardly noticeable. But it will come off with cleaning.
    So is that the secret liquid that you "wipe on and like magic the scratches are gone" we see on the late night infomercials?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    It's like an episode of mythbusters... I have one for you guys when I have more time!
    Funny, seems like you would need to arrive at the melting point (or some breakdown temp) of 1.60/1.67 for the scratch to fill in. Even if it did work, seems like optical clairity would still be reduced or Rx even modified.

And a half hearted attempt to find it:

http://www.machinist-materials.com/c...r_plastics.htm

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Sometimes these "myths" have some basis in fact, but get garbled along the way...

Ok here goes. I have observed this firsthand on many ocassions. We sometimes have a situation where a glass bead will find its way between the chuck or leap pad and the front or back of the lens, and it makes a small "divot". Sloppy? Yes, but we're production, with far more emphasis on speed than cost, so it happens.

On uncoated CR-39, and the uncoated backside of 1.56 and 1.60 (yes I know it should be coated, I don't get to make that decision), if the divot is not very large, a fair amount of heat makes it go away, blemish free. If it is significant, it goes away, leaving a small, smooth blemish. On coated lenses, it always leaves a small, smooth blemish.

Caveat: this does not work for scratches, where the material is actually removed, only when it is slightly displaced, and would never work on AR.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't find my notes from school. What is the refractive index again of Johnson floor wax?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

wax

Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I can't find my notes from school. What is the refractive index again of Johnson floor wax?

years ago i worked for your basic shyster type lab owner, and we always had a large can of johnsons wax to fill in scratches, it will get them out of the lab, until they get washed a few times, nobody knows

Occupation
    You can also cover the fine hairline scratches with Lens Renew, which is a humidity cure polymer and it will fill and cover fine hairline scratches permantly.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    A lab here offers this service (for a fee) for lenses they make:

They strip the AR and hard coat, and coat the lens like if it's just surfaced (apply new hard coat, new AR, hydrophobic layers etc).

Most scratches are in the hard coat. Even if some shallow scratches are on the actual lens the hard coat fills them in and smooths the surface (as it does on FreeForm lenses).
    They do it only on lenses they make, as they don't know the Hard Coat and other chemicals used on other lenses.

We have saved a few customers with damaged PALs that way.
    The results were excellent, and the customer is happy to pay for a coating renewal (instead of complete new lenses).

Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay Angelov View Post

A lab here offers this service (for a fee) for lenses they make:

They strip the AR and hard coat, and coat the lens like if it's just surfaced (apply new hard coat, new AR, hydrophobic layers etc).

Most scratches are in the hard coat. Even if some shallow scratches are on the actual lens the hard coat fills them in and smooths the surface (as it does on FreeForm lenses).
    They do it only on lenses they make, as they don't know the Hard Coat and other chemicals used on other lenses.

We have saved a few customers with damaged PALs that way.
    The results were excellent, and the customer is happy to pay for a coating renewal (instead of complete new lenses).

Nikolay, I have preached exactly the same thing here on OptiBoard for the last over 10 years. This is the way to do it, however on this continent most optician want to sell new glasses or at least lenses, and tell their customers it can not be done.

Besides that you could do the stripping yourself for somebody that has purchased new glasses and would like to have the old partially delaminated ones as a spare. It only takes maximum 10 seconds to stripp the AR coating and about 1 hour to get rid of the hard coat, and you have most probably a lens without even a scratch.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Can't you just buff it out" heard a million times.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post

Sure we can!

It will take a week to do and $487.33! How would you like to pay for that?

Occupation

Big Smile "Can't you just buff it out" heard a million times...............................

Spexvet, Pomposity! on my soapbox

This is continuing education with a childlike response where the subject has not sunk in and has triggered a sense of opposition.

Aristotle
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 01-21-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz is correct! Go with the flow....Sure we can resurface those- It will take about a week and the fee for doing it is 487.50 less, of course, your senior discount, of 48.75. The advantage to that is that they are able to "save" the old lenses thereby shorting the eyecare professional, and they are almost 50 bucks ahead of the game because of the discount!......When you get to be my age, you start thinking like a senior citizen! :):)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For US labs/ECP's, Q20 of the 2010 FDA Q&A on impact resistance defines who needs to perform impact testing. Stripping coatings would most likely qualify as altering "the physical or chemical characteristics of the lens..." For example, if a lens had been rendered impact resistant by the application of a cushion coat which is then subsequently stripped away, the lens may not be impact resistant any longer. As such, anybody stripping or performing some of the other actions in this thread may need to consider testing for impact resistance.

http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/de.../ucm070579.htm
    20Q. Who should perform the test for impact resistance?
    A. The manufacturer must perform the test for impact resistance (21 CFR 801.410(d)(1)). Manufacturer is defined under 21 CFR 820.3(o) and would include the person (or firm) who puts the lens in the form ready for its intended use or who alters the physical or chemical characteristics of the lens by grinding, heat treating, beveling, applying scratch resistant coating, applying anti-reflection coating, cutting, or other pertinent actions.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    so when removing ar from a lens we are to check to see if a lens is still impact resistance that is if I under stand this right

Thread Information