Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to mark on Trilogy Trivex Factory AR coated lenses?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

How to mark on Trilogy Trivex Factory AR coated lenses?

Hi,

What type of marking pen can I use to mark on Trilogy Trivex Factory Applied Anti-Reflective Coated finished single vision lenses? I have tried Sharpie markers, but the marks don't adhere at all! Also, what type of solvent (ie. isopropyl alcohol?? ) can be used to remove the mark from your suggested marker?

In advance, thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Staedtler Lumocolor Permanent Special "F".

http://www.staedtler.com/Lumocolor_p...l_gb.Staedtler

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I prefer a freshly sharpened Bowie knife. :p While the marks are a bit difficult to remove, I don't find it a problem as I toss all Trivex right into the bin where it belongs! HAHA!!! :shiner::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I prefer a freshly sharpened Bowie knife. :p While the marks are a bit difficult to remove, I don't find it a problem as I toss all Trivex right into the bin where it belongs! HAHA!!! :shiner::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Let me guess you like poly right? :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only because it's superior in *E-V-E-R-Y* way! And cheaper... And much more widely available... And get you more dates... etc. etc. etc. Plus, poly requires a much MUCH bigger Bowie knife to mark it up. :D:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And get you more dates... etc. etc. etc.
    So Poly makes you more popular with the ladies? That's a new one. ;)
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Well, he is partly right - it is cheaper(ya get what ya pay for). But that's all. He has photos where he's tinted the Trivex lenses yellow and claims they ALL do, even though no one else has supported his claim.:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Well, he is partly right - it is cheaper(ya get what ya pay for). But that's all. He has photos where he's tinted the Trivex lenses yellow and claims they ALL do, even though no one else has supported his claim.:D
    I have seen a few yellow, don't remember which brand it was but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sadly the Hoya lenses were the worst. Tinted? LOL Yeah, that's what we did. ;) :cheers::cheers::cheers:

And yeah, if you're lookin for a hook-up, poly's the only way to fly! The ladies go ga-ga over the stuff. It's like a pheromone soaked shirt...they just can't keep their hands off of ya! ;):shiner:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sadly the Hoya lenses were the worst. Tinted? LOL Yeah, that's what we did. ;) :cheers::cheers::cheers:

And yeah, if you're lookin for a hook-up, poly's the only way to fly! The ladies go ga-ga over the stuff. It's like a pheromone soaked shirt...they just can't keep their hands off of ya! ;):shiner:

I wonder why none of ours has. Heck, mine are Hoya Phoenix and they're over a year old and white as new.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On a lark the other day, that pair of lenses in the Silhouette frame I had photographed was replaced with new lenses from Younger Trilogy from an Essilor partner lab. Almost the same yellow color came back from the lab. In complete fairness it was perhaps 3-5% less yellow at a guess? But brand new, and still far more yellow than any poly we dispense. Who knows?

(Yes Fezz, I dispensed a pair of Trivex/Trilogy. Stop grasping at your chest and gasping for air. You look silly. :p)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    On a lark the other day, that pair of lenses in the Silhouette frame I had photographed was replaced with new lenses from Younger Trilogy from an Essilor partner lab. Almost the same yellow color came back from the lab. In complete fairness it was perhaps 3-5% less yellow at a guess? But brand new, and still far more yellow than any poly we dispense. Who knows?

(Yes Fezz, I dispensed a pair of Trivex/Trilogy. Stop grasping at your chest and gasping for air. You look silly. :p)

It makes me really wonder at what is going on. I'll ask my Hoya rep about it next time she comes in.
    Here's a shot of my 1 year old+ Hoya Phoenix ID LIfestyle lenses. I shot it aiming at the door so you can see sunlight through the edge of the lens. As you can see there's no trace of yellow at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails white.jpg  
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got a pic up on my blog with poly/trivex if you want to see what we're seeing here:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/blog.php?b=69

Best to you! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

I don't want to suggest anything here, but can an Essilor partner really be trusted when it comes to trivex? They're not exactly hitching their wagon to trivex.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Um yes. This lab and it's employees are extremely trustworthy on every level, and have also been good friends and exceedingly helpful industry partners to me for years and years. Much longer in fact than they've been in a partner status with Essilor.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Have you asked them if their other customers are having this problem too?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes - it's not an "us" thing. It's a Trivex thing. Multiple labs, multiple lens suppliers, and multiple (every) job over a period of years. Some much more so than others - but all thick and yellow. No desire to dispense old toenail colored lenses here. ;) :D :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Yes - it's not an "us" thing. It's a Trivex thing. Multiple labs, multiple lens suppliers, and multiple (every) job over a period of years. Some much more so than others - but all thick and yellow. No desire to dispense old toenail colored lenses here. ;) :D :cheers::cheers::cheers:
    That's a shame, sorry you don't get to offer your patients a quality trivex product. I had an issue a few years back with a few trivex lenses that were yellow but that's old news now and my patients truly love the product.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hmmm, must be a Western thing. Thousands of pairs over the last eight years and we have yet to have that problem. And it's so much stronger than poly, at least according to the high-speed impact tests.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Western? One lab sending these yellow lenses was in the midwest, and two were on the east coast. As a material goes - we simply don't have a use for it. Now if 1.60 could get just a bit more impact resistant - *THAT* would be the lens to beat! :D:D:D:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Western? One lab sending these yellow lenses was in the midwest, and two were on the east coast. As a material goes - we simply don't have a use for it. Now if 1.60 could get just a bit more impact resistant - *THAT* would be the lens to beat! :D:D:D:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    It will be beat later when they bring out 1.60 index Trivex.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Hmmm, must be a Western thing. Thousands of pairs over the last eight years and we have yet to have that problem. And it's so much stronger than poly, at least according to the high-speed impact tests.
    Actually poly is more impact resistant than trivex, not by much but it is. Trivex does have a higher tensile strength which makes it great for drills.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Actually poly is more impact resistant than trivex, not by much but it is. Trivex does have a higher tensile strength which makes it great for drills.

Ah, you haven't seen the Trivex/poly/CR-39/1.60 comparison video where they drop a sharp (not razor pointed) projectile onto identical (except for material) lenses.
    Cr-39 and 1.60 shattered, as you'd expect. Poly fared well, depressing impressively, BUT, allowed penetration of the projectile, whilst Trivex also depressed impressively, but did NOT allow penetration of the projectile.
    To me, at least, that proves Trivex slightly superior in impact resistance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKEC4zDowXs
    Note the little piece of poly breaking out and flying out below the lens and to the right. After being pierced, unlike the Trivex.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    ok, on topic

There were these pens I would order from Essilor that were like whiteout. They would have this white liquid that would work very well. I loved them better than any marker, because I felt they were easier to control (I do not have surgeons hands) and you just needed a dot to do all of the work. They stuck to everything and was very easy to clean off, even on cull lenses. Maybe phone your supplier to see if they know what I am talking about

Thread Information