Have a problem...calling all opticians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a problem...calling all opticians

Our OD called the Georgia Society of Optometry, and was told that we HAD to give the PD as part of the prescription if we do a refraction as part of the exam. ( We were the first ones to ask this question of the GSO). We have never included PD as part of the refraction before. So we have never included a PD along with the RX that is handed to the patient. Any one running into this problem, in Georgia? I am concerned that if we are forced to give the PD, more and more of our optical patients will go elsewhere, like ONLINE!!.:drop:
    Last edited by Leighlee; 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM. Reason: add text

Don't you have to set the PD on a phoropter or trial frame? Just write it down. What's the harm, how much "chair time" will be consumed.
    Of course, I have never trusted P.D.'s or K readings taken by someone else.

Chip

Comment

That's not the issue. We don't want to have to give the PD out, never have, when patient is not getting glasses through our optical department.
      We don't want to get caught in the middle between our OD and whatever place our patients go to get the RX filled.

Comment

Don't sweat it!

Write it down in inches and forget about it!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post

:bbg::bbg::bbg:
          Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Comment

Massachusetts' Optometric Society has recently voted that the PD must be included upon patient request.

Terribly short sighted IMO.

Comment

Do state societies of any denomination have the right to mandate what an rx must include? If so can my state opticians association mandate that only licensed Opticians be called "opticians" regardless of employer?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Good grief!!

Comment

The state society has no jurisdiction, only the state optometry board. I would not trust this "legal" interpretation.

Chip, you make the best point. You always take a PD, regardless whether it was reported on the Rx, right? You do that because you are an optician. By giving the PD, it gives unqualified personnel the info they need to fill an Rx without ever seeing a patient, or fitting the specs, or talking about expectations, or explaining options. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Yes Fester, including a PD on an Rx is terribly shortsighted.

This is not a small issue - it could be our biggest problem going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post

PERFECT! You made my day -> :cheers:
                  -Tony

Comment

My bad...

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                    Massachusetts' Optometric Society has recently voted that the PD must be included upon patient request.

Terribly short sighted IMO.
                    Clarification---This was the board that decided to specify the PD requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                      Clarification---This was the board that decided to specify the PD requirement.
                      Its the PD police! :shiner:

Comment

Where can I go to check on the defination of an eye exam, I mean, where can I check the legal defination of an eye exam for Georgia?

Comment

They seem to be requireing the O.D. to supply this, so have the O.D. supply it. He's the one writing the Rx not you. If you work independent or for an OMD, don't worry about it.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Leighlee View Post
                            Where can I go to check on the defination of an eye exam, I mean, where can I check the legal defination of an eye exam for Georgia?
                            I'd go to the state laws regarding the licensing of optometrists and the practice of optometry, and the regulations the state regulatory agency has put out. Somewhere in all that there should be a definition of what Georgia considers to be the minimum requirements for an eye examination.
                            Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Comment

Originally posted by chip anderson View Post
                              They seem to be requireing the O.D. to supply this, so have the O.D. supply it. He's the one writing the Rx not you. If you work independent or for an OMD, don't worry about it.

Chip

Chip, I am trying to figure out what are the legal and necessary elements of a written spectacle RX. I know the OD is responsible for the writing of the RX, I am asking on his behalf...not mine. I have tried looking at our GA state board of Optometry, and only find guidelines concerning Contact lense RX's. But it is increasing becoming apparent that there is no answer to my question...IS PD a legal and/or necessary element of a spectacle RX? Does any one know for sure?

Comment

Working...
                              X