Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cell phones

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

cell phones

So as of tomorrow we are banning cell phones in our lab. Hope fully it will increase our production and reduce our breakages. Has anyone else tried this

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What will your women do with thier lives while working? Will they tie up the company land lines reporting the health and well being of everyone they know to everyone they know?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Haha I don't know Chip I guess we'll find out

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Howtopat View Post
    Haha I don't know Chip I guess we'll find out
    With less sexting, morale is gonna drop!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Cell phone is the only way customers can get me. Since I'm the only one in the lab.......

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So as of tomorrow we are banning cell phones in our lab. Hope fully it will increase our production and reduce our breakages. Has anyone else tried this
    Chains do this. Morale drops, people care less and less, and then they end up sneaking their phones in the lab and text/surf the web anyway.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    In this day and age cell phones are so much more than that. They're multi media devices now with access to Facebook, twitter YouTube just to name a few. Most people don't abuse the privilege but there's always a few that ruin it for everyone else

Occupation
    They also have tilt and wrap calculators on them, and internet to research lens and cl data, as well as seek advice from other professionals. This sounds like how one treats a bunch of nitwits, not professionals.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have you issued a company policy on phone use? Perhaps set a few rules first, like try to limit personal phone use to break time. Also prohibit social media sites during work hours.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    This sounds like how one treats a bunch of nitwits, not professionals.
    What percentage would you say qualify to be called pros?

The illusion sometimes has more credibility then the knowledge.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    What percentage would you say qualify to be called pros?

The illusion sometimes has more credibility then the knowledge.
    You got me. (I did say you were good at data interpretation.) Think 5% is too generous?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Authority will rein. The cloud's part of life.

But only if implementation is fair and consistent...
    Or just a threat if It's not. Tough to carry out babysitter tactics, but effective instantly when the hammer is dropped. I don't miss that, and I'd have some fresh recruits on the bench to cover the fallout.

Those already on board may be grateful the problem is addressed. The leaders must following suit, or even the pros will lose faith.

The cloud can work for us and against us. Communication and calculations turn into distractions and excuses. Connections with families is instantaneous, allowing for shorter breaks and joy of good news, or relentless torture in toxicity. Respect for the job is losing It's appeal.

I always wonder if there was a way to help them, well, just HELP. How do leaders inspire others to participate?

If we keep doing what we are doing, we'll be sure keep getting what we're getting.

Good luck on raising the bar.

• aBBerated

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I opened this thinking you would give suggestions on how to get the customers off of them. I need my cell phone in case I have to call one of them while they're in front of me yakking. Hello? Just because you picked your glasses doesn't mean we're finished.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Not a good idea, IMO. The cell phone is a life line for children and spouses and aging parents. If they can't reach you via cell phone and have to call the main land line number (do they even know what it is???) it could cost precious minutes.

What I would do instead of banning cell phones would be to post a new rule that states something along the lines of "Please use your cell phones only in case of emergencies. Texting and surfing the web are not permitted during work hours and may lead to employment sanctions." Give it a week, then start enforcing it.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Call 911

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius:423079
    Not a good idea, IMO. The cell phone is a life line for children and spouses and aging parents. If they can't reach you via cell phone and have to call the main land line number (do they even know what it is???) it could cost precious minutes.

What I would do instead of banning cell phones would be to post a new rule that states something along the lines of "Please use your cell phones only in case of emergencies. Texting and surfing the web are not permitted during work hours and may lead to employment sanctions." Give it a week, then start enforcing it.
    I agree that asking woukd be nice. Please and Thank You go a long way. After that, I don't know, it'd depend on many factors, and I'd sure try to find out why they aren't productive in the first place. The problem certainly isn't the object itself. No pain is caused by non use of cell phone...unless you are really late for dinner. Why woukd one surf instead of be mindful? The list is long and large. Each has their own motivation either by power or by proxy.

I used to believe that if there was AN EMERGENCY, that I must be notified IMMEDIATELY, too. Until...

My first wife called me when I was across town, and said it was because of an intruder! When I arrived ASAP I asked where the police had gone. She said "We didn't call them."

I wasn't even armed! Maybe it was a setup gone bad. I walked right in expecting to see helicopters, or at least uniforms. Next time call 911! What did they think I was going to do? Manage them to death (hmm..)

Also, if you make A RULE, It's very annoying to those that follow it when It's not enforced.

Tough changes. Again I say best to all of you in the midst.

• aBBerated

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I used to believe that if there was AN EMERGENCY, that I must be notified IMMEDIATELY, too. Until...

My first wife called me when I was across town, and said it was because of an intruder! When I arrived ASAP I asked where the police had gone. She said "We didn't call them."
    Well, I was thinking more of an automobile accident or heart attack where you need to get to the hospital FAST...but yeah...not calling 911 in that case was...ummm...yeah.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buy the girl a gun and tell her to take care of her own problems.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Get a small cell blocker and don't say anything about it. Just claim that your new piece of lab equipment must be causing interference.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    Get a small cell blocker and don't say anything about it. Just claim that your new piece of lab equipment must be causing interference.
    From Wikipedia

"Cell phone blocking devices are used by federal officials under certain circumstances. Privacy rights of property owners may affect the policy and application of law within buildings. The FCC may issue a permit that waives the law for private use. For radio communications, it is illegal to operate, manufacture, import, or offer for sale, including advertising. Blocking radio communications in public can carry fines of up to $112,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year."

Probably not a good idea to use a cell phone blocker.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    They are illegal to use. http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...PvR_story.html

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I banned cell phones, and recently all personal communication devices in the office. There is absolutely no need for them, at least not in my offices. We allow open access to the computers for work purposes:
    tilt and wrap calculators on them, and internet to research lens and cl data, as well as seek advice from other professionals.
    I put it in the handbook, and it is enforced. In the case of a sick child, emergency, etc...the land line is always available. I had complaints from only two people, both of whom are no longer with the company.

It's not a matter of "professionals" or not. It's a matter of running a business, and doing it within the guidelines of the law.

Six years ago, I fired an employee for stealing contact lenses. He filed for unemployment, and of course, I fought it. At the hearing, the "judge" asked why I had fired him. When I said it was for stealing the judge asked, "Is that against your company policy?" I had to ask her to please repeat what she had said, and she replied, "Is it stated in your company policy that employees are not allowed to take items for their own personal enjoyment, or as YOU stated, are not allowed to steal?" I almost fell out of my chair, but did show her in the handbook where it states that nothing can be removed from the office w/out written permission. THAT saved us, and the employee's unemployment was denied.

Since then, I've rewritten the handbook, to the point that it even states "all employees must wear appropriate undergarments..." I kid you not, and yes, I've even had to enforce THAT.

If you don't want the disturbance/temptation of cell phones, you have to put it in writing, and enforce it equally.

I can think of no good reason an employee can't wait until break time to use their cell phone.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When my husband is deployed, my cell phone is the only way he can contact me. Anyone would have to pry it from my cold dead hands if they told me I couldn't use it while at work when he's out to sea. Other than that, there's no reason for me to NEED it while working.

MasterCrafter OptiBoarder MasterCrafter's Avatar
    Occupation
    Most people don't abuse the privilege but there's always a few that ruin it for everyone else
    To me you should zero in on the people who abuse this. Why take it out on those who are not?

Alot of bosses fall into this. Instead of cutting the cancer away with a scalpel they whack away with a hatchet.

I have worked for places where 1 person is coming in late or taking longer lunches. Then the owners have a "meeting" and generally threaten everyone as a group instead of taking care of that 1 culprit.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Cell Phone Policy Sample for Workplaces......................................

Cell Phone Policy Sample for Workplaces

http://humanresources.about.com/od/p...ell_policy.htm

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I banned cell phones, and recently all personal communication devices in the office. There is absolutely no need for them, at least not in my offices. We allow open access to the computers for work purposes:

I put it in the handbook, and it is enforced. In the case of a sick child, emergency, etc...the land line is always available. I had complaints from only two people, both of whom are no longer with the company.

It's not a matter of "professionals" or not. It's a matter of running a business, and doing it within the guidelines of the law.

Six years ago, I fired an employee for stealing contact lenses. He filed for unemployment, and of course, I fought it. At the hearing, the "judge" asked why I had fired him. When I said it was for stealing the judge asked, "Is that against your company policy?" I had to ask her to please repeat what she had said, and she replied, "Is it stated in your company policy that employees are not allowed to take items for their own personal enjoyment, or as YOU stated, are not allowed to steal?" I almost fell out of my chair, but did show her in the handbook where it states that nothing can be removed from the office w/out written permission. THAT saved us, and the employee's unemployment was denied.

Since then, I've rewritten the handbook, to the point that it even states "all employees must wear appropriate undergarments..." I kid you not, and yes, I've even had to enforce THAT.

If you don't want the disturbance/temptation of cell phones, you have to put it in writing, and enforce it equally.

I can think of no good reason an employee can't wait until break time to use their cell phone.

Now I know you're not crazy, but sometimes I think Crazy follows you around looking for opportunities! Is stealing against company policy? Really?

Thread Information