Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maui Jim Progressive

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maui Jim Progressive

Hi all!

I just heard a rumor that Maui Jim are in contact with Shamir about a new progressive lens.

Has anyone else heard of this and if so, which lens would they use?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have not heard the rumor. I find it hard to believe though. I am pretty sure that Shamir *might* charge a bit more for any progressive they sell compared to the Image!

Just my wild speculation, un-qualified, biased, jaded and generally wrong opinion!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spoke to my Maui Jim rep and he said he heard the same rumor floating through the company but no word on which lens or when.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I havnt heard that rumor, but I was told by Pech that that have PALs that have superior optics at 8bc, I don't recall the lens name though.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Sun Pals

Quote Originally Posted by Skagurly22 View Post
    I havnt heard that rumor, but I was told by Pech that that have PALs that have superior optics at 8bc, I don't recall the lens name though.
    FYI: I think the lens Pech is talking about is a KBco. ICE-TECH Advanced Lens Technologies offers polarized PALs that are individualized and we can accomplish most Rx orders with 8 base front curves. If you have any interest in these please send me an e-mail or PM.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Attitude wrap PAL

Hello,

It is possible that Pech is referring to the Attitude PAL by Shamir...it is a compensated wrap, polarized, PAL.

For more info: www.shamirlens.com

: )

Laurie

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Maui Jim Progressive

I believe Maui Jim currently uses their version of the Younger optics progressive. I have also heard they are going to a freeform lens that will handle the rigors of an 8bc. Most Maui jims are 8bc with a few 5 and 6's. Patients will not believe what an 8bc does to their field of view until they experience it - the hard way. the freeform should fix a lot of these problems. I love the Maui Jim single vision lens .... I think it's the best lens in their market ... not so much their current progressive. Positioning of the OC has put a lot of constraints on the size of the lens and led to numerous constraints on Rx's. Maui Jim is a company committed to excellence, they listen to their clients and will do the right thing with the rumored new progressive.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Freeform lens for 8 base

Quote Originally Posted by Fleming View Post
    I believe Maui Jim currently uses their version of the Younger optics progressive. I have also heard they are going to a freeform lens that will handle the rigors of an 8bc. Most Maui jims are 8bc with a few 5 and 6's. Patients will not believe what an 8bc does to their field of view until they experience it - the hard way. the freeform should fix a lot of these problems. I love the Maui Jim single vision lens .... I think it's the best lens in their market ... not so much their current progressive. Positioning of the OC has put a lot of constraints on the size of the lens and led to numerous constraints on Rx's. Maui Jim is a company committed to excellence, they listen to their clients and will do the right thing with the rumored new progressive.
    You describe a solution, just get a freeform progressive for 8 base wrap frames. This is easier to say than do.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes
    I did describe a solution - not the only solution, but a viable one - it's up to Maui Jim to find the right one -- if they chose to go that path.
    Last edited by Fleming; 11-29-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: incorrect verbage

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my experience, the main problem with wrap progessives is not the distance periphery....

...but rather the *narrowing* of the effective width of the progressive channel and near add windows. Also, there is no, well established way of validating the finsihed horizontal centration for a 18 to 23 degree wrap angle progressive.

And btw, MJ's edging has *never* impressed me. They ought to do better!

barry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry

This Optiboard Forum is Great ... I have only been on it a few times , and I always get wonderful feedback. Yes, I agree with you (except on the finishing - I think they have improved as of last year). I am not a Maui Jim salesman, I just like their product - I also like Lux's Revo non Rx - H20 series. This is great - most of us are cooped up all day doing what we love best, and never get any real conversation with peers - except at conferences.
    I also think a good freeform lens will immensely decrease the issues you mentioned

Fleming

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the current progressive lens they are using is the Younger Optics Image. But i have heard more rumors about the Freeform lens becoming a possibility. I believe the Autograph does not come in polarized as of yet(i may be wrong about that), which other Shamir freeform would be used? The Piccolo maybe?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe the Autogragh is currently available in polarized.

Fleming

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for clarifying that. :cheers:

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    The Image will soon be released in a new form specifically for wrap frames. If MJ is happy with the Image now, my bet is that they will stick with it, using the "new" wrap design.
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither. C.S. Lewis

An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason. C.S. Lewis

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Digital Surfacing

Yes
    I did describe a solution - not the only solution, but a viable one - it's up to Maui Jim to find the right one -- if they chose to go that path.
    It is not simple to explain the many issues with wrap around digitally surfaced lens designs.

Having a lens design from any lens company for digial surfacing is like having the avionics for an FA 18 airplane, (used by the Navy Blue Angels). Having the avionics does not mean you can fly with the Blue Angels. Having the lens design software does not mean you can make a lens. Freeform lenses are not as simple as plug and play.

A big issue with wrap around sunwear and PALs is the location of the optical center compared to the geometric center.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    It is not simple to explain the many issues with wrap around digitally surfaced lens designs.

Having a lens design from any lens company for digial surfacing is like having the avionics for an FA 18 airplane, (used by the Navy Blue Angels). Having the avionics does not mean you can fly with the Blue Angels. Having the lens design software does not mean you can make a lens. Freeform lenses are not as simple as plug and play.

A big issue with wrap around sunwear and PALs is the location of the optical center compared to the geometric center.
    Allen
    The F/A-18(A or C) Hornet as well as the F/A-18(B or D) (two place pre show aircraft) used by the Blue Angles are usually the older blocks (versions), They are generally stripped of most of their avionics and armament simply because it is not needed to perform at air shows (all the aircraft needs beside excellent maintenance is a extraordinary pilot – not avionics as you say); in this form they are simply aerobatic high performance aircraft NOT attack/fighter/bombers that the designator refers to. What the consumer wants is an extraordinary high performance lens.
    This thread was started with a simple rumor of Maui’s new lens. I never said making a quality freeform (maybe I shouldn’t use the word freeform – it has been overused I know) lens to satisfy the hi wrap Rx sunglass consumer was easy or simple – I just said it was a solution. I agree with you about soft ware/hard wear – no matter how good your equipment/ system is – it finally comes down to WHO uses it and how competent they are (design team down to dispensers -- the human factor). Maui Jim needs to determine what their solution will be - not me.. and the consumers will cast their vote on how good their solution is by buying it or not buying it..
    I agree with you about optical center and geometric center. Sorry this was so long.
    I also agree with hipoptical - Maui might feel more comfortable with something they are already familiar with.
    Just to give you an idea of where my head is - I would prefer Maui make a hi wrap Rx bifocal for a lot of my Maui Jim patients (they need to read a navigation chart and see the dock, they don’t care about their instrument panel)
    Fleming

Efficiency is doing things right; Effectiveness is doing the right things …Peter Drucker

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just to give you an idea of where my head is - I would prefer Maui make a hi wrap Rx bifocal for a lot of my Maui Jim patients (they need to read a navigation chart and see the dock, they don’t care about their instrument panel)
    Oh gosh, yes! And please....PULEASE make that bifocal WITHOUT polarization (to see the LCD-based instrumentation).

Barry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Oh gosh, yes! And please....PULEASE make that bifocal WITHOUT polarization (to see the LCD-based instrumentation).

Barry
    Barry your the man, I can't tell you how many times I have saved a remake by asking them what they are using their suns for. Polarized isn't the best choice for everything.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file CaOpticalGoddess's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used the current PAL Maui uses with little success. But I have heard from my rep that they have been talking Shamir about a free form lens and that would be great. Their SV lens is out of this world.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What issues have you had with Maui Jim Rx?

Quote Originally Posted by CaOpticalGoddess View Post
    I have used the current PAL Maui uses with little success. But I have heard from my rep that they have been talking Shamir about a free form lens and that would be great. Their SV lens is out of this world.
    We use the progressive and have no problems; do you compensate for the Base Curve change?
    If not the patient will not see with the comfort they should expect from a wrap sunglass.
    Craig

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I will probably get killed for this, but here we go anyway.

IMO, Maui Jim has been in the dark with Rx wrap eyewear. They have never compensated their lenses for the effects of tilt, base, or vertex. I have ordered many a lens from Maui and in many other frames and if the lens is not compensated often the patient complains. Maui may be looking for a solution to this compensation issues and I believe that and the fact that they have a limited availability in Rx's right now is thereason why they are pursueing the change to FF. Plus they maret thmselves as a premium company and if they are to keep up with that market they are going to have to get with the times and offer compensated solutions.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper I could not agree more!!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I will probably get killed for this, but here we go anyway.

IMO, Maui Jim has been in the dark with Rx wrap eyewear. They have never compensated their lenses for the effects of tilt, base, or vertex. I have ordered many a lens from Maui and in many other frames and if the lens is not compensated often the patient complains. Maui may be looking for a solution to this compensation issues and I believe that and the fact that they have a limited availability in Rx's right now is thereason why they are pursueing the change to FF. Plus they maret thmselves as a premium company and if they are to keep up with that market they are going to have to get with the times and offer compensated solutions.
    I started with Maui Jim as they launched the RX program 3 years ago and told them the same thing. They did not feel the accounts would understand the modifications to the RX. I had many quality issues with them originally, but lately the service is EXCELLENT!!

We fax in an order that is already compensated by me, using an optiboard calculator, and it arrives in 3-4 days exactly as ordered. They have gotten the thickness on plus lenses, PD's, seg hts. and finish quality at a very high level. ;)
    If they only compensated on there own, it would be a perfect program.

I know they are a few months away from releasing the new free from lens designed by Shamir.

Just order them compensated and let your patients enjoy the benefits of properly compensated optics.

By the way, Pech Optical will compensate RX's for you on any base curve modification. I order many 6 base lenses to match the frame curve and also compensate for the curve change. It works great and can't be done on most free form yet; changing the base curve and adding prism to compensate.
    I actually send all the Maui Jims that Maui will not RX for us to Pech and they never have a problem making it work. Allen at Ice Tech can also do this work and compensates for all the curve changes.

Keep changing the world one pair of glasses at a time.

Craig

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We fax in an order that is already compensated by me, using an optiboard calculator, and it arrives in 3-4 days exactly as ordered.
    Which calculator is it that you use? I am starting to sell more and more MJ's in PAL and getting comfort complaints.

This would help a lot.

Bob

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I have mentioned in many other posts, I think most low-to moderate Myopes and hyperopes SHOULD NOT have their Rx'x *compensated*...unless it is fully known whether

1.the starting Rx represents full infinity correction
    2. Any latent/unprescribed-for phorias (got to know this before adding wrap prism)
    3. You (dispenser) can effectively *validate* a finished centration on a progressive for a frame wrap angle of 18 degress or more. THIS IS THE CORRIDOR KILLER!

The time for anecdotal stories of success and/or failure (including mine), I think, is over. We need to be MUCH more methodical about our approach to wrap eyewear, or we're gonna end up where we were with (atrocious) AR in the early 2000's.

Anyone?....Bueller?

Barry

Thread Information