Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis Vision Closes Plainview, NY Laboratory

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis Vision Closes Plainview, NY Laboratory

HVHC’s Davis Vision Closes Plainview, NY Laboratory

By Staff
    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:27 AMNEW YORK—Davis Vision has closed its Plainview, Long Island laboratory, VMail has learned. The 30-year-old lab’s closure was communicated to employees on Monday.

Davis is a wholly-owned subsidiary of HVHC Inc. as is Visionworks of America, the national retail optical chain. HVHC is part of Highmark, Inc, one of the country’s largest insurers.

An HVHC spokesperson told VMail that 150 employees will be impacted by the closure. ”They will get a comprehensive severance package.” He added, “While this was a difficult decision, we recognize that we have more state-of-the-art labs elsewhere and could accommodate the volumes we needed to run through those to serve our members. This was about creating greater efficiencies for our customers.”

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any insight on the reason why?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow... I didn't know they actually closed the lab. We just got our notice to start sending everything to Tx. I was hoping that a new lab would be better quality and service...sadly no. I have made several requests for more shipping labels and even that is just a bit too much for them. Been waiting for over 8 days. Also got incorrect stuff in already. Axis off. That sort of thing.

Not sure if you experienced this... when I sent back a redo for axis or power being off, I noticed that they were adding a note that rx was within tolerance but they were redoing it as per customer request. (we're talking axis off by 8 on a cyl of 3.00!)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is bad...very bad. While I was no fan of the plainview lab the TX lab is the worst lab I have had to use by a large margin.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    nice. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. Has anyone done the "red envelope" program with Davis?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    nice. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse. Has anyone done the "red envelope" program with Davis?
    What is that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The red envelope program was a 90 day program. We were enrolled because our re-do rate was so high (Re-do, meaning they screwed up...not us). So when an order came in incorrect, we filled out these red envelopes, put the order in the envelope and sent it to the lab manager's attention. The manager was supposed to use those mistakes as a learning tool and the re-do rates should then go down. We saw NO decrease in re-do rates during the time we were enrolled. (Shocker) At the end of the 90 days, they sent us an email that said that their re-do rates were drastically reduced and they had met their goal. What a joke!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The red envelope program was a 90 day program. We were enrolled because our re-do rate was so high (Re-do, meaning they screwed up...not us). So when an order came in incorrect, we filled out these red envelopes, put the order in the envelope and sent it to the lab manager's attention. The manager was supposed to use those mistakes as a learning tool and the re-do rates should then go down. We saw NO decrease in re-do rates during the time we were enrolled. (Shocker) At the end of the 90 days, they sent us an email that said that their re-do rates were drastically reduced and they had met their goal. What a joke!
    How long ago were you in this program? I have never even heard of this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A joke indeed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    How long ago were you in this program? I have never even heard of this.
    Somewhere around a year ago. They called us and asked if we were willing to participate. Told me it was because we sent so many jobs back because of power and axis. In the end, it did nothing. If anything, it made me more frustrated. I hate Davis. I really hate Davis.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I gave up on their edging years ago. I order everything I possibly can uncut. It's easier to edge on-site than to process all the remakes.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I gave up on their edging years ago. I order everything I possibly can uncut. It's easier to edge on-site than to process all the remakes.
    I wish I could do that. I have an order that is around -13.00 in a magnetic clip. They keep edging the lens with the bevel back and the lens pushed out the front. Clip won't fit. It was originally ordered back in March. Still waiting. At least the patient is understanding and knows that Davis sucks.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I wish I could do that. I have an order that is around -13.00 in a magnetic clip. They keep edging the lens with the bevel back and the lens pushed out the front. Clip won't fit. It was originally ordered back in March. Still waiting. At least the patient is understanding and knows that Davis sucks.
    There are a couple of those every year that you can't do a blasted thing about. I feel for you and your patient.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Texas lab is terrible. Shipped 3 frames with the new shipping labels on 05/05/2017 and they claim that the package was just located today 05/17. Almost had to repurchase and resend all 3 frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mcicimov View Post
    The Texas lab is terrible. Shipped 3 frames with the new shipping labels on 05/05/2017 and they claim that the package was just located today 05/17. Almost had to repurchase and resend all 3 frames.
    You expected anything good? All the **** from plainview is there!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    you expected anything good? All the **** from plainview is there!
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ROFL

And this is after they built a new state of the art lab in NY

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    ROFL

And this is after they built a new state of the art lab in NY
    I feel like you didn't use enough quotes. "State of the art" Same thing they said about the tx lab.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel like you didn't use enough quotes. "State of the art" Same thing they said about the tx lab.
    Even for state of the art equipment you need people..... I would guess that was the problem! Especially if they were union lab.....:(

OptiBoard Professional Kujiradesu's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ive been monitoring this thread, and would like to suggest that if any of the people who work at the lab that is closing are listening that by using your union as a guide it may be possible to pool resources as a workforce and buy the lab from your employers. A worker owned lab would never close so that automation can replace the workers. Also, worker owned co-ops have been shown in other industries to be more stable, more competitive, and better for the communities that they serve than top-down heirarchical business models. Worth considering, just my 2¢.

EDIT: whoops! Or would have been if I have read more closely, and the lab hadnt already closed 10 days ago. T^T
    Optical Cross: n. crucifixion apparatus used by the New Jersey State Board.

"It is not knowing, but the love of learning, that characterizes the scientific [person]." -Charles Sanders Peirce

"A concept is a brick. It can be used to build a courthouse of reason. Or it can be thrown through the window. -Gilles Deleuze

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And the good news is..... I have accepted a position at an office that does not participate with Davis!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I did not even imagine how good the plainview lab was......
    TX lab is a joke. Lenses are way too steep, no manufacturer markings even on progressives without AR, lenses are thick and ugly, turnaround what turnaround.... It feels like i am using the lab from 20 years ago...
    Are there any other options?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I guess I did not even imagine how good the plainview lab was......
    TX lab is a joke. Lenses are way too steep, no manufacturer markings even on progressives without AR, lenses are thick and ugly, turnaround what turnaround.... It feels like i am using the lab from 20 years ago...
    Are there any other options?
    No. We have been getting a job here and there from philly but never imagined a lab this bad. Had a set of lenses made 5 times because the lab kept sending me 8X35 instead of 7X28. Ordered correctly every time. Never thought I would be begging for plainview...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No. We have been getting a job here and there from philly but never imagined a lab this bad. Had a set of lenses made 5 times because the lab kept sending me 8X35 instead of 7X28. Ordered correctly every time. Never thought I would be begging for plainview...
    100% agree! We did not know how good we had it!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It does not get better......

Thread Information