Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to mark on Trilogy Trivex Factory AR coated lenses?

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aha! I just got one of these for my lab yesterday. I've been wanting one for a couple years, but hadn't taken it upon myself to go get one. You can go to a hobby store and pick up a paint pen--is this the same thing you're using? A little bird brought one to me, and it was like Christmas in Optical. I was just tickled. It's much better than a china marker for in the lab.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Ah, you haven't seen the Trivex/poly/CR-39/1.60 comparison video where they drop a sharp (not razor pointed) projectile onto identical (except for material) lenses.
    Cr-39 and 1.60 shattered, as you'd expect. Poly fared well, depressing impressively, BUT, allowed penetration of the projectile, whilst Trivex also depressed impressively, but did NOT allow penetration of the projectile.
    To me, at least, that proves Trivex slightly superior in impact resistance.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKEC4zDowXs
    Note the little piece of poly breaking out and flying out below the lens and to the right. After being pierced, unlike the Trivex.
    Hehehe - PPG marketing at it's finest! :D I'm sure that any poly manufacturer could have made the 'same' video and shown very different results. And frankly, with the size of that giant steel 'projectile' they show, I don't care if you're wearing poly, trivex, CR, glass, kryptonite, diamond, unobtainium or ANY lens material at all - I highly doubt a kevlar bullet resistant vest would offer much more protection - the shatter resistance of my lens would be the absolute LEAST of my worries since all of the bones of my face would be summarily shattered. :shiner::p

As to the marking pen, look up the Staedtler Lumocolor permanent "Special F". I think Hilco and Grobet carry them for a few bucks a pen. Available in black and red when I last looked. They'll mark on just about anything, but be sure to get the "F" designation. The standard permanent variety don't work well on the new super slick hydro/oleophobic surfaces.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Hehehe - PPG marketing at it's finest! :D I'm sure that any poly manufacturer could have made the 'same' video and shown very different results. And frankly, with the size of that giant steel 'projectile' they show, I don't care if you're wearing poly, trivex, CR, glass, kryptonite, diamond, unobtainium or ANY lens material at all - I highly doubt a kevlar bullet resistant vest would offer much more protection - the shatter resistance of my lens would be the absolute LEAST of my worries since all of the bones of my face would be summarily shattered. :shiner::p

As to the marking pen, look up the Staedtler Lumocolor permanent "Special F". I think Hilco and Grobet carry them for a few bucks a pen. Available in black and red when I last looked. They'll mark on just about anything, but be sure to get the "F" designation. The standard permanent variety don't work well on the new super slick hydro/oleophobic surfaces.
    The Staedtler F pens Are The Ones To Use for that.

But since even seeing isn't believing for you try this one too. If shatter resistance is of zero importance to you, then surely tensile strength should be a factor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXqx6NLsKzo&NR=1

And for fun:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5nEm...eature=related
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tensile strength is always nice sure...except that the Trivex stuff was beat by the 1.60 and very handily spanked by Essilor's 1.67! :shiner::p:D

It's all good these days, and frankly just so long as I don't have to do glass every other job, I'm generally a happy guy! All the best Dragon my Man! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Tensile strength is always nice sure...except that the Trivex stuff was beat by the 1.60 and very handily spanked by Essilor's 1.67! :shiner::p:D

It's all good these days, and frankly just so long as I don't have to do glass every other job, I'm generally a happy guy! All the best Dragon my Man! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Of course that means poly was spanked also.:cheers:

And we do about three glass jobs a year. Mostly drill mount.:hammer:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information