Thread: help solving this trouble-shoot! FT-28

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

help solving this trouble-shoot! FT-28

hey everyone. so, i had this customer who had previously purchased (a year and a half prior) poly FT-28 reactant lenses in a semi-rimless frame. the reactant just sucks (Lol) and so the pt had come in with it all ruined. anyways, my manager, as a courtesy, re-made his lenses using the same material, frame, lens style and everything. when the pt picked up and tried them, he complained about a "mirror vision" that he notices at night while driving, almost like a double vision. EVERYTHING is the same: poly Ft-28, no edge polish, same PD and fitting height....and for the first time, i literally had to tell him i had no idea. the only other thing i could even think of was base curve, which i didn't know beforehand b/c i only dealt with the pt afterwards and we no longer had his prior lenses, but he did have a pair of sunglasses in the car and so i verifiied the BC between the new glasses and his Sun's, and the BC was the same?! so, im completely lost and would like some input....only i might have done differently next time is walk outside with him and occlude each eye seeing the results? thanks :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "the reactant just sucks".............you kinda lost me on this optical nomenclature...........care to expand?

Welcome to the forum e-williams-2

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    "the reactant just sucks".............you kinda lost me on this optical nomenclature...........care to expand?

Welcome to the forum e-williams-2
    i've never worked with it til recently and it seems like most people who purchase the reactant version of the transitions end up coming back completely unhappy b/c "they've used transitions for years and have never experienced this problem" (of the separation) with the lenses... again, i've never had any past optical experience with the product until now

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who manufactures these "reactant" lenses?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm....might be something exclusive to the company i currently work for, in which, i probably shouldnt say :) any thoughts on the troubleshoot though?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Complains about a mirror or ghost image? I'd recommed you use a good anti-reflective treatment.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes, but he didn't previously have it on his previous lenses and notices a differnce between the two sets

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Do you maybe mean react-tint (reactint), or something of the like? http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...sitions-Lenses
    Also, you mention "separation". As in delamination?
    Also, as you state, you don't know the base curve of the previous pair, so you don't know if it was the same. A flatter curve will often result in more reflections. With very few exceptions, AR is indicated.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @e-williams-2:

assumptions:

1) ...same frame, lens, base curve, RX, leave perhaps a thickness difference between the two sets.
    2) The other difference can be type of scratch-resistance coating supplied, either at factory(front side) or at lab level..............these might just simply be changes in source or production methods from the last pair.

It is also possible the person had the same complaint with the last set, but didn't notice the phenomena, recently, because the coating/reactant/surface of the lens was less than pristine. This is also a time of year where low level lighting is more prevalent.

Occupation
    Something else: lack of tilt or faceform could increase noticeable reflections, and vertex changes may make them slightly more noticeable as well.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aberration caused by imperfect /too much heat surfacing as well as surfacing too thin causing aberrated src. This is absolutely detectable by you. Check the mires in the lensometer and then slide the lens right or left . If it's aberrated , the power changes and distorts.
    Last edited by rdcoach5; 01-16-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Aberration caused by imperfect /too much heat surfacing as well as surfacing too thin causing aberrated src. This is absolutely detectable by you. Check the mires in the lensometer and then slide the lens right or left . If it's aberrated , the power changes and distorts.
    +1
    First thought that came to mind was a wavy lens. Also, Wes (as always) makes a good point about face form, tilt, etc.

Unfortunately, the patient will continue to have trouble with the reactints, as I too am pretty sure I know where you work. It's the poly transitions my friend, and when I worked there, I ALWAYS told people that they should avoid it like the plague. Try to sell them the plastic option, even when it means switching to a full frame. I was honest and would explain the delamination issue up front, because in the end, it's gonna keep them from coming back 6 and 7 times for a redo. You can not change the problem, but you can avoid the resulting issues by avoiding the product at all costs.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    when I worked there, I ALWAYS told people that they should avoid it like the plague. Try to sell them the plastic option, even when it means switching to a full frame. I was honest and would explain the delamination issue up front, because in the end, it's gonna keep them from coming back 6 and 7 times for a redo. You can not change the problem, but you can avoid the resulting issues by avoiding the product at all costs.
    Unfortunately I've had to do the same before.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Reactints are warranted for the life of the RX date (assuming you work where everyone thinks you work). To check base curve, you can pull previous lab OPC's through the patients history.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only things that I can think of with the problems that you are mentioning are:

Base Curve,
    Pantoscopic Tilt,
    Face Forum Wrap,
    OC,
    And Lens Center Thickness.

And if you or your lab does not have a Wave Form Analyzer, hold them up to your computer screen and put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and see if there is any major stress on the lens that may be causing his disturbed vision.

And if all else fails, then I'd offer to add a great anti glare on his lenses
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    The only things that I can think of with the problems that you are mentioning are:

Base Curve,
    Pantoscopic Tilt,
    Face Forum Wrap,
    OC,
    And Lens Center Thickness.

And if you or your lab does not have a Wave Form Analyzer, hold them up to your computer screen and put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and see if there is any major stress on the lens that may be causing his disturbed vision.

And if all else fails, then I'd offer to add a great anti glare on his lenses

Can you elaborate as to why you suggested lens center thickness might be an issue?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Can you elaborate as to why you suggested lens center thickness might be an issue?

Lens Center thickness could cause added chromatic abortions, induce prismatic effects, and even additional "Fish Bowl" effects that the patient was not use to with the original pair of lenses. Yes it may be the exact RX in the lenses, but if he is sensitive enough it would cause him to feel as if things were not the same. Maybe even with a FT BF, is the lens if thicker, the prismatic effects caused by the ledge of the BF might cause his brain to perceive things differently.

I have had several cases like this one with Plus and High Minus patients in SV, BF and PAL's who could not adapt to the same lenses, similar to exact RX with having an additional 1mm in thickness of the center cut. I could tell you why their brain does it, but I don't have government backing to try and figure out why, lol. All I know is, this is no the first time I have had this exact same case with many different people and it come to be one of if not a combination of the things that I had mentioned.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Occupation
    Thanks. I'm not sure if you're a member of the pros forum, but there's a thread going on over there we've been discussing where c.t. is also suggested as the likely issue.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Thanks. I'm not sure if you're a member of the pros forum, but there's a thread going on over there we've been discussing where c.t. is also suggested as the likely issue.;)
    Wes, I am not, but I will take a trip on over and see if I can shead my thoughts into it.

Thanks
    J.P.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Another option is that there was a mistake or failure in the AR process and something got missed. If its an AR that uses cancellation to limit reflection, both sides have to match. If somehow the procedure created variations from to back, reflections are likely.

Thread Information