Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis Vision

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Davis Vision

So we just signed up for Davis vision insurance at my office. Is it me or does the work they fabricate come out like garbage?

I would like some feedback from other Davis providers, we have done about 2 dozen jobs already, sent to the Davis lab and when we get the jobs back they look like crap! Bevels not placed correctly, changing the shapes of plastic frames by stuffing oversized lenses in them, PD's off, PAL's not inserted straight, etc...

We have sent back about 40% of the work to get redone, and the ones we passed will reflect on MY office, not Davis. Its hard explaining to patients that we are not responsible, that Davis is the culprit.

Anyway, is this the same for other providers? or is it just the particular Davis lab in my area?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By far the worst quality and service.
    Now, starting this year, we only sell our frames and order uncuts from Davis.
    At first they threw a fit, but we had a meeting with a lab manager Debbie, and told her the scoop. Now we get uncuts faster and they're edged here and in our frames. So we also get their reimbursement for frame allowances.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyEyes View Post
    So we just signed up for Davis vision insurance at my office. Is it me or does the work they fabricate come out like garbage?

I would like some feedback from other Davis providers, we have done about 2 dozen jobs already, sent to the Davis lab and when we get the jobs back they look like crap! Bevels not placed correctly, changing the shapes of plastic frames by stuffing oversized lenses in them, PD's off, PAL's not inserted straight, etc...

We have sent back about 40% of the work to get redone, and the ones we passed will reflect on MY office, not Davis. Its hard explaining to patients that we are not responsible, that Davis is the culprit.

Anyway, is this the same for other providers? or is it just the particular Davis lab in my area?
    When a practice signs a deal to increase their volume with a selfish organization who's only care is their bottom line through cut rate tactics at your reputation's expense, do you seriously think an increase in quality and service would result??

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The place I used to work took Davis. We had so much trouble with one of the labs that we demanded to be allowed to use a different lab. I don't remember which one we started to use, but they were better. The people at Davis know which are the best of their labs.

We still got some bad work but most of it was okay.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The answer to this is to refuse to take davis vision insurance !!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rd, as much as I would love to stop taking Davis, it's not my decision to make. What I do is tell every Davis patient that we allow 6-8 weeks for their glasses and send back everything that is wrong. I will not settle for close enough from them. I make them redo the jobs until they are right.

If everyone did this, Davis would either have to reduce reimbursements and lose offices or improve the quality it sends out of its labs. Either way is a benefit.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always sent them back as well. The private practice I used to work for has now given Davis the boot. The corporate practice I now work for gets to use their own lab and is not required to have the "tower" of frames. I guess if you are big enough they allow this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    rd, as much as I would love to stop taking Davis, it's not my decision to make. What I do is tell every Davis patient that we allow 6-8 weeks for their glasses and send back everything that is wrong. I will not settle for close enough from them. I make them redo the jobs until they are right.

If everyone did this, Davis would either have to reduce reimbursements and lose offices or improve the quality it sends out of its labs. Either way is a benefit.
    You are right bob, if every ECP sent back half of the jobs they recieved from Davis that were unpassable (at least 50%) they would have to make some serious changes, the loss of profit from constantly re-doing jobs would make them see this. Also I have the same problem as you, the Owner of this practice wants to keep Davis, although he is never here and I am the one seeing all the problems, It still adds some money to his bottom line, we cannot get off.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Out of curiousity, do you keep a log of the individual jobs that have to be sent back, the reason and the time it took to get a passable job? Sometimes seeing it in writing is more powerful than just hearing it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do not keep a log other than notes on the patients record. The time it takes to get jobs back is outrageous also, sometimes a month to get back! That's a good idea I should keep a seperate book of all jobs being redone and periodically go thru it to see what the redo rate really is. Honetly I am going to try and just get off the panel all togheter, it'll take some convincing to the owner but I really do not need the headaches that Davis creates

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That log book could go a long way in convincing the owner that the practice reputation just isn't worth it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We currently see just enough routine medical visits from patients on Davis to continue taking it. Otherwise, Davis is as terrible as Spectera. We no longer take Spectera and will re-evaluate Davis at the end of the year.

There is very little profit in Davis on the optical side. When you consider the staff time spent on redos and patient hand holding, it's probably a wash.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    The answer to this is to refuse to take davis vision insurance !!
    1+ I am always surprised at the folks who take these crappy VCPs and then complain about them!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    1+ I am always surprised at the folks who take these crappy VCPs and then complain about them!
    +2

And they say opticians don't have enough education, and these are the OD'S and MD's.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat:402349
    Out of curiousity, do you keep a log of the individual jobs that have to be sent back, the reason and the time it took to get a passable job? Sometimes seeing it in writing is more powerful than just hearing it.
    We keep detailed records, all our labs, and it does help.
    But what worked the best in getting them to allow us to do our own work- giving each patient the scoop and proper expectations, followed by providing the "private" phone numbers needed to raise hell themselves. Like direct laboratory numbers and management numbers, the clients I think enjoyed it and saw our situation.
    Finally Davis came to us and our new arrangement is much better.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Me too, but it's called survival. Gotta do whatcha gotta do :( Managed VCP's are optical crack :(
    Last edited by RIMLESS; 11-05-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    Me too, but it's called survival. Gotta do whatcha gotta do :( Managed VCP's are optical crack :(
    So what your saying is you survie on Crack?????

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nope, you exist, but for some it's hard to quit the small $$ they get. Shoot I had to drop spectera because at the end of the month I would be owing them $$$
    Obviously every practice differs, but the fact is cash patients are a dieing or at best a dwindling breed.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf1509 View Post
    By far the worst quality and service.
    Now, starting this year, we only sell our frames and order uncuts from Davis.
    At first they threw a fit, but we had a meeting with a lab manager Debbie, and told her the scoop. Now we get uncuts faster and they're edged here and in our frames. So we also get their reimbursement for frame allowances.
    +1. The only way to get passable work from them is to edge it yourself.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    love the saying...have used it for years! Agreed...Davis Vision SUCKS!! I to have no say over this but I also tell pt that it will take longer than our regular lab and that its their insurance company's lab and thats what we have to use so they get there benefits. Waiting on a job right now from Davis...going on about 45 days!!! They are horrible!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now they discontinued most of the AR coatings leaving 2 choices in each category.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a job, FT28 CR-39 with UV and scratch coat, that was ordered beginning of October. Just received it in for the 3rd time today. They aren't putting UV on the lenses. First time, I checked it and they measured 27 & 29% UV transmission. I returned the job with a note asking them to apply the UV treatment. Received it about a week later with a new invoice that said, "CK LENS-NO UV ON LNS". I measured the UV transmission and they were at 27 & 29% still. Returned the job once again with a copy of both invoices and a note to please apply the UV to the lenses. Received it again today with another invoice again telling me that there is no UV on the lenses.

Today I returned the job with a 2 page letter, that basically told them to call me when they receive the job and I will walk them through the process of dipping the lens in the UV solution for 5 minutes and walking over to the UV meter to verify. Also told them that if it comes in wrong again, I will give the lab phone number to the patient to follow up on the progress.

Thank God we only have about 1 Davis job per month (only on the Federal Employee Plan)!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Thank God we only have about 1 Davis job per month (only on the Federal Employee Plan)!!!!
    You are lucky!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    You are lucky!
    I am reminded of that every time I get a Davis Patient.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If jobs are that bad, have the patients go to their HR department at work to complain and call Davis corporate.

The labs will more likely jump through hoops if they think they may lose contracts when the employers call to complain.

Harry

Thread Information