Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Nikon lenses?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Walmart Nikon lenses?

I've never heard of Nikon lenses but a patient of mine was asking about walmart's top of the line lens... which is supposedly a "Nikon" lens. I called walmart and the optician there seemed to be more of a sales person than knowledgeable in optics (ie i asked if it was freeform and she was like "umm, I'm not sure what you mean but it has clarity throughout the lens and is made to the prescription"). I also asked who makes the lenses and she said she thought it was Essilor... so I thought maybe they were relabeling physio 360 lenses or something. She said that sounded right but definately was not confident in anything she answered... more than anything she was quoting me prices and what not ($359 retail for nikon high index lenses?). (quoting retail prices should be fine no?). Anyhow.. anyone have a better idea about what these lenses are about?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Nikon is in partnership with Essilor, but it has its own lenses. The product is very popular in Canada and Japan, but in the US has not done so well. That is probably why it is in Wal-Mart in the US (but not in Canada).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    are they nice lenses?

freeform?

comparative to... ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    search for "walmart custom progressive" and 4 pages will appear on this topic.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    are they nice lenses?

freeform?

comparative to... ?
    yes, they are good lenses. Every major company has a good lens as its premium lens. I would say it is comparative to the Physio and Physio 360, since I know the lens is not completely backsided designed.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's an accolade freedom in 1.67. So it compares to the physio 360

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    It's an accolade freedom in 1.67. So it compares to the physio 360
    Nope, Nikon does different lenses than Essilor. Actually, in several nations, Nikon competes against Essilor.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

nikon acolade freedom

partly correct but her goes according to the essilor vp pres who spoke at our optical college they own nikon along with varilux and many others
    the acolade lens is a freeform and is a top of the line lens local private sales have it for 650 to 800 in florida and wal-mart sells it for 389
    as to comparison to the 360 physio from varilux the nikon offers a slightley wider intermediate channel and a much wider reading area.
    former wearers of the varilux 360 have said they prefer the nikon.
    as to why it is sold at wal-mart do some research about us we ranked highest in the us in quality of service,product and optical knowledge
    our independent doctors rated as well in fact one of the doctors working at a wal-mart holds 2 patents for multi focal contact lenses.
    and the most logical of reason is money and seeing how we sell more eye wear than any other company in the us i say essilor made the right choice
    with wal-mart i personally have fit this lens to a mentaly handicaped girl
    who had been wearing a bifocal and she responded as if she had no need for glasses her quality of life has been greatly enhanced.
    that is how easy this lens is for patients to wear.yes i work for wal-mart and i happen to be the number one seller of this lens in my district i also have a record of no remakes or so callled no adapts.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by romancetech View Post
    the acolade lens is a freeform and is a top of the line lens
    You should have asked what makes it a FreeForm lens...Do you recieve a compensated Rx from the lab? If you do, that would show that you are recieving a True Customized that has be modified based on the vertex distance,frame wrap and frame shape. If you do not recieve a compensated Rx, the chances are, that you may simply be getting a molded front surface lens that is processed on a FreeForm Generator. Sounds like the VP is trying to Muddy the FreeForm waters.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The United States of America (USA)

Hi Romancetech.
    I applaud your loyalty towards Wal-Mart Optical.
    I find it, however, a stretch to claim that your Co. "ranks highest in quality, product, and optical knowledge in " The USA!

James :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    as to why it is sold at wal-mart do some research about us we ranked highest in the us in quality of service,product and optical knowledge

Ranked by who---WalMart themselves?

I thought that it was Costco that rated so high!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    partly correct but her goes according to the essilor vp pres who spoke at our optical college they own nikon along with varilux and many others
    the acolade lens is a freeform and is a top of the line lens local private sales have it for 650 to 800 in florida and wal-mart sells it for 389
    as to comparison to the 360 physio from varilux the nikon offers a slightley wider intermediate channel and a much wider reading area.
    former wearers of the varilux 360 have said they prefer the nikon.
    our independent doctors rated as well in fact one of the doctors working at a wal-mart holds 2 patents for multi focal contact lenses.
    and the most logical of reason is money and seeing how we sell more eye wear than any other company in the us i say essilor made the right choice
    with wal-mart i personally have fit this lens to a mentaly handicaped girl
    who had been wearing a bifocal and she responded as if she had no need for glasses her quality of life has been greatly enhanced.
    that is how easy this lens is for patients to wear.yes i work for wal-mart and i happen to be the number one seller of this lens in my district i also have a record of no remakes or so callled no adapts.
    Chocked full of so much mis-information I don't know where to start. Please don't believe everything you hear.

As a private optical we sell the Accolade Freedom for $390 bundled w/ 1.67 and Alize. And we actually offer a warranty. It's also available in poly, poly trans, CR-39, 1.60, 1,60 Trans, 1.74, poly polar and others. Yet WM sells it only in 1.67.:hammer: I can provide an Accolade Freedom much less expensively than you can, and I will actually do what's best for the client.
    I like to provide it in 1.60 for my high cyl patients. Do you know why? I guess it doesn't matter, you really don't have a suitable choice on your menu for a high cyl patient.

Essilor does not own Nikon.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Nope, Nikon does different lenses than Essilor. Actually, in several nations, Nikon competes against Essilor.
    Nope, I work for walmart and can personally tell you that it's an accolade freedom. Essilor owns the Nikon name in the USA. These lenses are made in their dallas avisia lab. It also comes with a hydrophobic AR called Nikon AST.

Occupation
    Nope, I work for walmart and can personally tell you that it's an accolade freedom. Essilor owns the Nikon name in the USA. These lenses are made in their dallas avisia lab. It also comes with a hydrophobic AR called Nikon AST.
    So it has the same fitting marks at the Accolade?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dude, it even says accolade freedom on our selling mats, which I usually ignore.

Bad address email on file drbalaji's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    i might be noob here to say this

But Essilor does have partnership with Nikon(in fact it has got 60:40 shares with Nikon Japan) thats how it has been projected here in India for the last 5 years

And in fact (Rejuvenated) Nikon Range in the last year or so has grabbed big market share in the High Index market

Though i never heard of Accolade Freedom from Nikon but we do get Nikon Presio W (double side Surfaced/Aspheric design PAL ) as Nikon Premium progresive with SHE coat(will cost around $xxx approximately for CR-39). It's been marketed as PAL with Aberration Filter and best for Complex Astigamtic Presbyopes.
    Last edited by drbalaji; 10-29-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

RE: Nikon and Essilor

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Nikon and Essilor have cross marketing and manufacturing agreements in a few countries. Some Nikon lenses come off the Essilor line in Dallas, such as the See-Max. When Essilor bought the Definity from J&J they also received a very cost effective (and patented) system for making free-form lenses that they have adapted to the rest of Essilor line. I believe it was 2 years ago they moved all of the Definity equipment from Virginia to Dallas.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    I've never heard of Nikon lenses but a patient of mine was asking about walmart's top of the line lens... which is supposedly a "Nikon" lens. I called walmart and the optician there seemed to be more of a sales person than knowledgeable in optics (ie i asked if it was freeform and she was like "umm, I'm not sure what you mean but it has clarity throughout the lens and is made to the prescription"). I also asked who makes the lenses and she said she thought it was Essilor... so I thought maybe they were relabeling physio 360 lenses or something. She said that sounded right but definately was not confident in anything she answered... more than anything she was quoting me prices and what not ($359 retail for nikon high index lenses?). (quoting retail prices should be fine no?). Anyhow.. anyone have a better idea about what these lenses are about?

I work at walmart. It is a "Nikon Customized Lens"
    They say its the best of the best. I know it isnt the best. nor do i advertise it as. I just joined the forum and still trying to learn so please be patient with me if I make any mistakes.

It is is supposed to widen out the corridors and let people gain the periphial vision. Couple years back walmart and sam's club didnt have this(While i was going to commnity college) but now they are advertising it and pushing sales.

The lenses cost 389 dollars. I dont know if there is a specific way to measure otu the hour glass or what not.

It is also a 1.67 Poly

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    del, it's not just a "nikon customized." Look at your selling mat/prog identifier and you'll see that it's actually an accolade freedom. Also, 1.67 isn't poly, it's high index. Where are you located, btw?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Delgadido View Post
    It is also a 1.67 Poly

Is it?

Delgadido,

Poly and 1.67 are two totally different materials. They are not the same.

Is the lens 1.67 or is it poly, or can it be made in both materials?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    del, it's not just a "nikon customized." Look at your selling mat/prog identifier and you'll see that it's actually an accolade freedom. Also, 1.67 isn't poly, it's high index. Where are you located, btw?
    yea i am from texas, I had another thread introducing myself and what not. I am not ABO certified and the fact that in this board. I am considered a "newbie". I joined these boards to increase my knowledge. I am currently going to school but I work at a walmart(which is the reason) cause they work with my hours and they give me good pay(opticians dont get paid well in texas)
    I was taught that 1.67 is a denser grades of polycarbonate.

Cause High index plastic does exist So i am following off what I was taught. But if you could explain to me how the material is different that

But it is 1.67 high index

and at walmart we dont have indentifiers
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Is it?

Delgadido,

Poly and 1.67 are two totally different materials. They are not the same.

Is the lens 1.67 or is it poly, or can it be made in both materials?
    above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was taught that 1.67 is a denser grades of polycarbonate.

Cause High index plastic does exist So i am following off what I was taught. But if you could explain to me how the material is different that
    The two materials have many differences.They are made with different chemicals/materials. Here are a few differences:

Poly /1.67
    Abbe value= 30/32
    Index of refraction= 1.586/1.661
    Specific Gravity= 1.20/1.37

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The two materials have many differences.They are made with different chemicals/materials. Here are a few differences:

Poly /1.67
    Abbe value= 30/32
    Index of refraction= 1.586/1.661
    Specific Gravity= 1.20/1.37
    interesting.

but high index chemical makeup is based off of poly correct?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    interesting.

but high index chemical makeup is based off of poly correct?
    No.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No.
    Now what is high index plastic?

Thread Information