Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Questions

Hello I'm new to this forum. Forgive me if my format is incorrect.

I am currently the office manager for a group of Optometrists and I have a few questions that I thought this would be the prefect place to ask.

First off does anyone know the legality of not having an optician in an optical. My doctors have informed me that everyone in the building is practicing under the constraints of their liscense and that we do not have to have an optician. While a few other people have told me that we must have an optician to dispense.

Secondly, I have no clue how to recommend a lens for a patient with an extremely high sphere like a -16. I currently have two that we put in polycarb, but the center thickness in 1.5 and the edge thickness is about half to 3/4 an inch on a small frame. The patient's current lenses are much thinner, but the doctor wanted polycarb because the other eye is blind. Any suggestions?

Thirdly, does anyone have any experience with Marmore for used edgers in Miami? I am trying to update our office and get a new edger and this company seems to have the best prices, but I'm worried about the quality.

I think that about covers the major questions that have been bothering me as of late. I'm trying to bring my office into the modern era, but it seems to be a real struggle. Almost every optician I've meet seems to genuinely offer help to me and you all also seem to be perfectionists which is I guess necessary for this profession.
    thank you

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have a mess on your hands.

I suggest that you contact a fellow Optiboarder, OpticLabRat. He is a very well respected member on here. His company, Vision Systems, Inc. is top notch.

Leo Hadley Jr.
    Vision Systems Inc.
    727-365-7934
    866-934-1030

www.ODMarketplace.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulane View Post

I am currently the office manager for a group of Optometrists and I have a few questions that I thought this would be the prefect place to ask.

First off does anyone know the legality of not having an optician in an optical. My doctors have informed me that everyone in the building is practicing under the constraints of their liscense and that we do not have to have an optician. While a few other people have told me that we must have an optician to dispense.

Secondly, I have no clue how to recommend a lens for a patient with an extremely high sphere like a -16. I currently have two that we put in polycarb, but the center thickness in 1.5 and the edge thickness is about half to 3/4 an inch on a small frame. The patient's current lenses are much thinner, but the doctor wanted polycarb because the other eye is blind. Any suggestions?

Thirdly, does anyone have any experience with Marmore for used edgers in Miami? I am trying to update our office and get a new edger and this company seems to have the best prices, but I'm worried about the quality.

I think that about covers the major questions that have been bothering me as of late. I'm trying to bring my office into the modern era, but it seems to be a real struggle. Almost every optician I've meet seems to genuinely offer help to me and you all also seem to be perfectionists which is I guess necessary for this profession.
    thank you
    What experience do you have? An optician would know the answer to these questions.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Close by...............

Actually they are only about an hour south on HWY 75 from you

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    What experience do you have? An optician would know the answer to these questions.
    I have no expreience! I'm not an optician, I'm not an opthalmic tech. That's why I'm asking you wonderful people. The only opticains I normally interact with are sales reps who cannot answer my questions.

thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel the office is needing a well qualified Optician...PRONTO. If you could get a knowledgeable Optician in, your job of managing would be much easier. Why worry about edgers, high minus lenses and such? Get the correct *tool* for the job, then yours will become much easier! Good luck!

PS. Welcome to Optiboard!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

thank you

First question: It depends on your state. In some states as long as the OD OMD are in the establishment at the same time they can have anyone fit glasses. But don't get me started on that.

Second:If they don't want to hire a qualified optician who knows what he is doing then you've got DOC's who are greedy and are not looking out for their patients. It sounds like your trying to be ethical and honest and because of that I will tell you contact your local lab and ask them for info
    explain to them the situation and most labs will help you out.

Third: I have no experience with this line. I would check on line, it all depends what you want to do. You can get an edger finisher that would be basically for what is termed a finishing lab. You order the lenses finished and edge them yourself but you would need some one who knew what they doing before that. As I have said before here is just one more example of OD's trying to save a couple bucks because they are too cheap to pay a qualified optician. My recommendation would be to tell the greedy DOC's you need a qualified optician,stop trying to cut corners and do it the right way. Just another example of DOC's not wanting to pay, they would rather try to get by with the receptionist doing the opticians job! UNBELIEVABLE!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    First question: It depends on your state. In some states as long as the OD OMD are in the establishment at the same time they can have anyone fit glasses. But don't get me started on that.

Second:If they don't want to hire a qualified optician who knows what he is doing then you've got DOC's who are greedy and are not looking out for their patients. It sounds like your trying to be ethical and honest and because of that I will tell you contact your local lab and ask them for info
    explain to them the situation and most labs will help you out.

Third: I have no experience with this line. I would check on line, it all depends what you want to do. You can get an edger finisher that would be basically for what is termed a finishing lab. You order the lenses finished and edge them yourself but you would need some one who knew what they doing before that. As I have said before here is just one more example of OD's trying to save a couple bucks because they are too cheap to pay a qualified optician. My recommendation would be to tell the greedy DOC's you need a qualified optician,stop trying to cut corners and do it the right way. Just another example of DOC's not wanting to pay, they would rather try to get by with the receptionist doing the opticians job! UNBELIEVABLE!

Thank you.
    They had an optician for 20 years who retired and they've never wanted another one, but I agree we need to have one.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you must use Poly, don't use it in powers over about -4.00. Distortion becomes intolerabe beyond this point.
    As to what's available for high powers , Frames Fax puts out a lens catalogue which I am fairly sure you office has. It lists almost all lenses available and powers to which they can be applied.
    Chip.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you.
    They had an optician for 20 years who retired and they've never wanted another one, but I agree we need to have one.

Just from my experience a good optician is worth his weight in gold ( unless he or she weights 400 ) ha ha. But all kidding aside I would gather my facts and confront the DOC's and tell them the office will run much smoother,profit wise (that should get their attention) and he or she should be able to do the finishing work unless your office is so busy you might need two. If your grossing over a mill you need two opticians. One could be dispensing while the
    other runs the finisher and vise versa. Just my take

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    agreed, you have to give them a plan that will show them that they are going to make more money, or at least stop the seive from running as your patient load decreases because of lack of expertise. It is disheartening that they don't want an optician after having one for 20 years. They must have seen less benefit, either financially, or in need of controlling their business. Sometimes we opticians that are worth our weight in gold need to show the OD'S we work for the neccesity of having us, as opposed to not.
    So, if you can show them with numbers especially, that you have been losing money since the optician left, added with the fact that you rightly so, are uncomfortable with acting as an optician with virtually no experience, they hopefully will come around and understand the error of their ways. It won't be easy, especially if they are skin flints, and if the former optician was actually making what they were worth.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have no expreience! I'm not an optician, I'm not an opthalmic tech. That's why I'm asking you wonderful people. The only opticains I normally interact with are sales reps who cannot answer my questions.

thanks
    Oh my God. No optical experience. Are you interacting with the patients?Does anyone there have an optical background? You can learn on the job for sure but without a mentoring optician or very experienced dispenser you are in for a heap o trouble. The sales reps cannot answer your questions because they are no doubt not opticians either. Your lab is a good source of information. Find someone who knows what they are talking about and make them your "go to guy". And of course this forum is invaluable. Don't be surprised if the retail end of this practice goes quickly down the tubes. It probably won't be your fault.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I can't believe no one reported this post.....

The poster is not an eyecare professional.He or She is an office manager, and not qualified to ask, much less understand the plethora of answers here. They are just wasting your time which was evident when you saw what the occupation was , versus the statement that the poster was an office manager.
    Thread closed!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

After further thought and ......

After some further thought and some input from a member I have reopened this thread. Bear in mind Tulane represents a multi doc practice with enough resources to have a practice manager but not enough to hire an optician.They expect office personel to reccomend lenses to their patients. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE??

How can optometry wonder why opticians get a little upset at this sort of thing?
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-19-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: ADDITION
    Lord Byron

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tulane, You never did say what state you're in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Check with the state board of Opticianry, I'm assuming your in FL, and the laws there can be stiff. It has been my experience that in a liscensed state, as long as the doc is on site, his/her people are working under his/her liscense. But as soon as they leave, out to lunch, golf, fishing, home, ect, no dispensing can be done. good luck and welcome.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Wow

Wow! I agree we need an optician. I think you guys are perfectionists and masters of the art of optics. I am attempting to convince the doctors to hire an optician. I have honestly thought about going down to the Hillsborough community college around graduation time to recruit a fresh graduate. I've been asking for anyone in the Gainesville Area to apply. If you are interested please PM me.

Chip: Thank you for the advice on the high Rx patient and I will contact the lab we use. I also appreciate the parameters for using poly.

my first question revised: Do we legally have to have an optician in the State of Florida? I have been told both yes and no?

Cocoisland: I've been as the office manager of the current practice for 7 months. I'm not a complete idiot and I'm trying to do the best I can. Yes I'm interacting with patients, I've done everything from pre-testing to surfacing and edging, to selling and dispensing.

hcjilson (evil baby): You have issues! I cannot believe your a mod. I have degree from the University of Florida and I am certainly qualified to ask questions about the profession and understand your answers.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tulane, If I were you I wouldn't be biting the hand that feeds you. This board has strict rules about who can and who can not post. You're in a grey area. A degree from a university doesn't mean anything when it comes to this forum. Especially if it has nothing to do with optics. But no matter who you are, the mods are in charge. They're letting you post now because of this grey area. If you truly want our help, I'd suggest following the rules, which includes respecting our moderators.

No one is calling you an idiot, but the vast majority of us cant understand the logic the doctors you work with are using. We know it's not your fault, but you'll have to bare with us if we seem a bit callus, or even down right upset to hear how your office is being run. We're not upset with you, but with your employers.

Truely, welcome to Optiboard. If your situation doesn't improve, you will be called on to make decisions that you'll have no idea how to do. The folks here do like to help, but again, you're going to run into some flack. Good luck. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cocoisland: I've been as the office manager of the current practice for 7 months. I'm not a complete idiot and I'm trying to do the best I can. Yes I'm interacting with patients, I've done everything from pre-testing to surfacing and edging, to selling and dispensing.
    Tulane, I wasn't insinuating that you were an idiot. I suppose my post came across wrong. I was simply amazed that any optometrist practice would hire an office manager with no optical experience and expect things to run smoothly. To your credit you are obviously trying very hard to learn quickly. It isn't you I have an issue with.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    After some further thought and some input from a member I have reopened this thread. Bear in mind Tulane represents a multi doc practice with enough resources to have a practice manager but not enough to hire an optician.They expect office personel to reccomend lenses to their patients. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE??

How can optometry wonder why opticians get a little upset at this sort of thing?

Did you read what I recommended to her to do? I said she should present her facts to the DOC's and hire an OPTICIAN. I also said an optician is worth his or her weight in gold. I think we have adequately RIGHTED WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE! We told her what she has to do and secondly what is wrong with the office manager calling out for help when she declared she can't do the job? I don't get this! Maybe it's me :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow! I agree we need an optician. I think you guys are perfectionists and masters of the art of optics. I am attempting to convince the doctors to hire an optician. I have honestly thought about going down to the Hillsborough community college around graduation time to recruit a fresh graduate. I've been asking for anyone in the Gainesville Area to apply. If you are interested please PM me.

Chip: Thank you for the advice on the high Rx patient and I will contact the lab we use. I also appreciate the parameters for using poly.

my first question revised: Do we legally have to have an optician in the State of Florida? I have been told both yes and no?

hcjilson (evil baby): You have issues! I cannot believe your a mod. I have degree from the University of Florida and I am certainly qualified to ask questions about the profession and understand your answers.

Maybe you did read my first post. In it I told you it depends upon the state your in. In NY as long as you have an OD or OMD your working under their license, but as soon as an OD or OMD leaves and their are no other DOC's on premise your illegal. I believe Florida has similar laws. HC is a mod. and he has to watch out for the gray area's and you are a gray area. I would not be to hard on HC he's only doing his job.

just my take

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The state I work in you could call yourself an optician. Anyone selling and fitting eyewear can call themselves an optician.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think she has to worry about not being an optician. I know what state she is in and they don't (unless they have been very recently been successfull in re-forming one) even have a state association. Much less any state laws reguarding our industry.
    Odd as some unions are so strong there you can't even repair your own household plumbing.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

An interesting point...

Jedi has raised an interesting point. I will speak to the Massachusetts statute with the understanding that other states have a similar enigma.

In Massachusetts spectacles can only legally be dispensed by an optician, optometrist, or ophthalmologist.Apprentices can dispense under "direct supervision" but that is it! That is the interpretation of the law governing who may dispense eyewear.

Under that interpretation,only the optometrist can dispense (ie "fit, verify,adapt...etc". The enigma appears when you view the optometric statute which states the optometrist may use any means at "his disposal" to deliver eyecare or something to that effect. This broad wording would allow employees of the OD to dispense.

The MA board of registration was going to get a clarification of this from the division head but has put it on hold for the moment. The investigative unit has enough on its plate at the current time, as does prosecutions.This problem is going to continue for the time being.

Re: Tulane's dilemma, a check of the statute would be in order to find what is allowable in the home state.
    Lord Byron

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If you must use Poly, don't use it in powers over about -4.00. Distortion becomes intolerabe [sic] beyond this point.
    Chip.
    100% wrong. That's a ridiculous statement and we have at least three or four happy customers per day who prove the point.
    Show the math, dude. You know no research backs you up on this latest bizarre statement.

Thread Information